MontanaBob
14 years ago
Boy, glad I'm not walking a union picket line in Minneapolis or Harrisburg. LOL

In the case of teachers unions, most, not all, but most districts across the country have "union shop" which means if you don't join the union you still have to pay the equivalent dues either to a charity or some other enterprise. They gotcha by the gonads.

I never liked that our union would back so and so for office, either president, governor or state officials, and about break your arm to vote like they said. So I did the next best thing............in the last 5 presidential elections good old Bob got at least one write in vote. And yes, the NEA/AFT are very pro Democrat, which I agree with about 1% of the time.

The one good thing the Nea/AFT tries to maintain is that we as teachers are treated as professionals and paid fairly. HA! on that last one. I retired after 42 years and just in the last 2 years cracked $50,000 salary....barely. Montana is the 2nd lowest state behind Mississippi in teachers salaries. It ain't any cheaper to live here than anywhere else.
Most nationwide school districts require teachers to have a masters degree within a certain period of time or you're shown the door, or you can't advance on the pay scale. No district in Montana pays even one cent for graduate required courses.

And finally, look at everything that your city, state, etc gouges you money for. Water, garbage collection, street improvement districts (sid's), property taxes, estate taxes, license plate taxes, boats, school taxes, and state sales taxes. (we don't have a sales tax in Montana.) Now, how many of those can you vote down in an election? Not many except school mill levies and bond levies. And that's the sorry point of it all. We can't do a damn thing about most taxes, so we vote down what we can vote for and the schools get it in the shorts.

I'm done with my sermon......blame this all on Cheesey. (lol)
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
14 years ago
I'm amused how many partisan talking points have been thrown out in this thread. I feel like I walked into an election debate.

The most important thing we can teach our children, more so than any facts or subject matter, is HOW to learn and think. This starts to take place at a fairly young age, and must be developed. Unfortunately, young children are pretty much pushed through their early grades whether they developed as learners and thinkers or not. If I had to implement one change, it would be to hold back younger students at a far greater rate so that their grade isn't solely determined by age. Testing should include essay answers and possibly oral examinations to go along with the more common standardized tests. If students are held back as often as they SHOULD be, there should be enough of it happening that individual kids won't be singled out as freaks or idiots. Instead, a spirit of competition and giving a shit will evolve, among the students, parents, and teachers.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Bob.....why is it MY fault???LOLOL!!!
Anyway.....he's right. I have yet to see a union, in ANY capacity, back anyone but a democrat. And i and my wife have been in a union at one time or another. She is right now, and of course we got "junk mail" from the union praising Obama and cutting McCain (and all republicans on the local level too).

As far as schools. They need to start holding students to a higher expectation level.
In the past, they lowered the expectations, and when more kids "graduated" because of it, they bragged how the schools "improved".
Does that make ANY sense? (Unless you are in the government, that is).

If the kids won't do the work, fail them.
I have seen (and know personally) of people that have graduated high school, without being able to read or write. HOW is that possible?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
The other change we need - you should be able to kick out gang bangers from school. Most middle-class folk have no idea what it's like to go to schools overrun by gang bangers. An environment like that isn't exactly ideal for learning. You just want to stay alive.

Kick 'em out. Leave some children behind. Screw them. Am I cold? No. There are plenty of kids out there in those schools who actually WANT to learn.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
14 years ago
GREAT point Zombie!
Not only do the gang bangers not learn, they keep others from learning too.
I have NO use for those punks. They arn't man enough to stand on their own.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Thanks Cheesey.

Yeah, that's my beef. You got kids who want to learn but are afraid of going to school.

All this making things fair crap only punishes those who want to get ahead.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
14 years ago
I was bullied something terrible by a punk in high school. I didn't even try to fight him, cause he was twice my size and would have killed me. I can only imagine what it's like for some kid targeted by a gang.
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
14 years ago
I was just messing with you Cheesey. Hey, like the punks in school.....When things go wrong, blame the nerd or the straight A student, or the science whiz, or the custodian, or the crossing-walk guard, or the teachers, or your parents. But above all, never, never take responsibility for your own actions.

Unless it's something good. Then milk it for all it's worth.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
4PackGirl
14 years ago

i'm shocked at what they call 'teaching' these days. buying into a 'canned' curriculum is the laziest form of educating i've ever seen! my kids now are learning alligator math. i said 'wtheck is that?' it's greater than/less than but now we gotta call it alligator math cuz the alligator's mouth eats the big numbers?!? really??? come on!!

"BDota" wrote:

I'm studying math at the University of Wisconsin, and I still sometimes think of alligators when I working with inequalities. It provides a simple device to remember which symbol (< or >) is which. Especially when I was younger, it was nice to have a way to tell the difference between the two without just memorizing them.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

lol - well good to know that it really might come in handy for them after all. i get that they want to make learning 'fun' & have little kitchy ways of doing so. i'm just amazed that teachers no longer have to make lesson plans because they're handed the curriculum on a silver platter. the good teachers will take those canned lessons & make them their own...the bad ones will use it as a crutch.
Pack93z
14 years ago
One change... limited to a single change.

To me, going through high school, and in essence three different colleges, I would focus on the teachers/professors themselves.

Basically, in a nutshell, there are teachers that can and cannot teach... some that have a passion to do it and some that just go through the motions.

In college, I would attend the first couple classes, get a read on the prof, then either stay, drop or alter the schedule to get the hell out of their class. I wasn't going to waste my time on some round head that cares less.

So, I would have some sort of review process at the collegiate level to would cross examine these profs from those that ultimately pay their salaries and some outside independent from the institutions reach to create a grading scale on these leaders of the class room.

If am am forking over tens of thousands of dollars for an education, those supplying the education better be plugged in and passionate about their end of the bargain.. if not... get the flock out.

I would guess, at no better than 50 to 60% of the professors I had were acceptable.. in this country, that is pathetic.

High School and below, I don't think the same process would work..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7-Jun / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.