BDota
  • BDota
  • Registered Topic Starter
14 years ago
Big Ten may mess with Texas 

Watch out, Missouri and Pittsburgh -- Texas is on the Big Ten Conference's expansion radar.

According to a report on the website of the Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World & News, league officials have engaged in "preliminary exchanges" with officials from Texas about leaving the Big 12 to become the 12th member of the Big Ten.

The paper cited source with ties to the Big Ten. The talks appear to be only exploratory at this point, with each side weighing the merits of such a union.

The Big Ten announced in December -- after University of Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez addressed the topic openly at an Athletic Board meeting -- that it would actively seek at least one more member within a 12- to 18-month timetable.

The chief benefit is that a 12th team would lay the groundwork for a league championship game in football, which has been a tremendous source of revenue for the SEC and Big 12.

The schools most discussed as candidates have been Missouri, Pittsburgh and Rutgers, with Syracuse a secondary pick.

In Missouri, the governor asked the school to consider the move from the Big 12, noting that he'd rather be affiliated with colleges such as Wisconsin and Northwestern than Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

Two weeks ago, rumors exploded on the Internet that Pittsburgh's switch from the Big East was imminent, based on alleged Twitter posts from athletes there who claimed to have been briefed on the change.

Rutgers' value lies in its access to the New York metropolitan media market, while Syracuse's allure apparently is based on its potential as an add-on should the league decide to expand beyond 12 teams. Both are in the Big East.

Texas would be an odd fit geographically -- travel costs and fatigue would be an issue -- but has been the subject of speculation at various junctures over the past decade because it brings more tangibles to the table than the other schools most often mentioned.

Not only are there a massive number of TV markets that pay heed to the Longhorns -- and therefore would hold appeal to the Big Ten Network -- but the school is a solid fit both athletically and academically.

According to the report, Texas, makes the most TV revenue in the Big 12 Conference because of its frequent appearances -- the league does not share revenue between institutions -- but believes there is a chance to increase its take via a Big Ten affiliation.

One major obstacle to any such deal could be Texas' desire to continue its longstanding rivalries with Oklahoma and Texas A&M in particular, especially in football.

blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
I wouldn't want a Texas in the Big Ten.. demographically it makes little sense. I would rather raid a smaller conference school or a big conference school the demographically makes sense.

If you want to raid the big 12.. fine.. Iowa State makes sense....

How about a MAC school.. or a Big East power.. not Texas.

Plus whom wants to hand the conference title every other year off to Texas.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
BDota
  • BDota
14 years ago
What would Iowa State or other schools like that add besides a 12th member? The revenue lost with low income schools would make the additional revenue from the championship a wash. I say go big, or don't expand at all.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Miami, February 11, 2019.
Asssociative Press

Sources in the Athletic Director and Chancellor's Office have confirmed it.

The U is going Big. Bigger than ever.

The rumors are true. Starting with the 2021 season, the University of Miami will be lining up against Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State almost every year.

And there won't be any more cupcakes at the beginning of the schedule either. To ensure parity among what will now be 8 4-team divisions in the Big 10, each of the 32 members of the Big 10 must play at least 12 games against conference teams prior to each December's round-robin conference tournament.

General reaction across the Big 10 has been positive to the news. Joe Paterno, now in his record 70th year of coaching at Penn State, said, "We've needed this. Ever since we went to the 2 games/week format, we've needed to expand from the unwieldy uneveness of 31 teams across the divisions. And, quite frankly, with Maine, Washington, and San Diego State, we needed a southeast team to round out the "Four Corners" Division.

Publicly, both the Pac10 and Big 12 are saying all the right things. But sources close to both conferences have confirmed that each remain serious about becoming the first 40-team conference. As one Pac 10 athletic director put it, with the Big 10 going to 32 and the SEC already at 36, we really have no choice but to go to 40 teams as soon as possible."

In other football news, the University of Michigan announced today that they are indeed putting a fourth level on its stadium, bringing its game day attendance maximum once again to the biggest for any level of football. When finished, the addition ensures that the Big House will handle a live audience of 382,000, including 2311 luxury boxes, both shattering the current maximums of 320,000 (Ohio State) and 1500 (Dallas Cowboys).
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
14 years ago

What would Iowa State or other schools like that add besides a 12th member? The revenue lost with low income schools would make the additional revenue from the championship a wash. I say go big, or don't expand at all.

"BDota" wrote:

The revenue isn't going to be from the single school that they want.. it is the ability to have a championship game between the #1 and #2 seeds... they need to add a 12th member to do so.

Sure Texas would bring in more revenue than say a Iowa State.. but not enough in my opinion to disrupt the conference powers... not to mention really distort the conference makeup...

Example an Iowa state will go through recruiting phase similar to the Big Ten.. where as a Texas yearly draws a blue chip class.. thus shifting the power of the conference unfairly. IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
BDota
  • BDota
14 years ago
It's just not worth it from a financial standpoint to add Iowa State. IMHO, Missouri and Pitt are the schools that would fit best.

I actually would oppose Texas as well, and they really have no incentive to join. My dream would be Notre Dame, but that would be unlikely as well.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

It's just not worth it from a financial standpoint to add Iowa State. IMHO, Missouri and Pitt are the schools that would fit best.

"BDota" wrote:

I used Iowa State as a Big 12 example.. personally I wouldn't want to raid that conference either...

Yes Pitt or Missouri would fit.. more so Pitt IMO.
Formo
14 years ago
I actually am surprised about this. I was under the assumption that the only team that could join the Big Ten is if it were located in or bordering a Big Ten state. If I'm wrong, then I'm %100 for Texas. Although I agree the distance is borderline stupid. I would love also to see Boise State join the Big Ten.. but that'll never happen (Boise State @ Penn State is what? 3-4 time zones away?)

For the prestige factor of the Big Ten, I hope who ever they bring in it's a bigger school. I wanted Norte Dame to join.. but with the attitude they've been copping the past year, I say screw the Irish. And Rudy too. I heard some minor rumblings that Nebraska could be a potential school awhile back. Not sure how accurate they are, but I would welcome them. Mizzou/Pitt I know are the popular schools (Syracuse too) that have been mentioned.. And I'd welcome them too, I guess. I just don't want to take a MAC/MWC team.

"pack93z" wrote:

The revenue isn't going to be from the single school that they want.. it is the ability to have a championship game between the #1 and #2 seeds... they need to add a 12th member to do so.

Sure Texas would bring in more revenue than say a Iowa State.. but not enough in my opinion to disrupt the conference powers... not to mention really distort the conference makeup...

Example an Iowa state will go through recruiting phase similar to the Big Ten.. where as a Texas yearly draws a blue chip class.. thus shifting the power of the conference unfairly. IMO.

"BDota" wrote:

Texas would bring in a ton more revenue than most Big Ten area/state schools. Because it's in a completely different market. Now, almost all of Texas would be following the Big Ten instead of the Big 12. That alone would be huge.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
BDota
  • BDota
14 years ago
I believe that teams do need to be in neighboring states, but that rule could be ammended before Texas is invited.

I'd still love Notre Dame, but I don't see what the Big Ten could offer them that they can't get elsewhere. The only way I could see them joining is if they somehow lose their prefered status with the BCS. The only way I see that happening though is if they continue to suck, and then they wouldn't really add anything to the Big Ten.
blank
Formo
14 years ago

I believe that teams do need to be in neighboring states, but that rule could be ammended before Texas is invited.

I'd still love Notre Dame, but I don't see what the Big Ten could offer them that they can't get elsewhere. The only way I could see them joining is if they somehow lose their prefered status with the BCS. The only way I see that happening though is if they continue to suck, and then they wouldn't really add anything to the Big Ten.

"BDota" wrote:

Yeah. That's the thing with ND. I hope they never get sniffed again by the Big Ten and they start sucking even worse than they did with Charlie Weiss.. To the point that they start begging to be let in the Big 10. After hearing their AD talk, and reading some of the stuff that their fans/school's administrators have said about the possibility of joining the Big Ten.. They can suck on a dead dog's nose.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
beast (23h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.