Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

EPIC: Google may have broken wiretap law

Posted: Wednesday, February 17 2010 at 06:00 am CT by Bob Sullivan

If Google wanted to create a quick buzz around its new social networking service, it's certainly accomplished that. Last week, when the Web giant automatically signed up millions of Gmail users for its new Buzz social network, much of the Internet was sent into a privacy tizzy.

Google announced serious modifications to the service later in the week, but that wasnt enough for the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC). On Tuesday, it filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission, asking the regulator to order more changes. EPIC also accused Google of violating federal consumer protection law and suggested the firm may have broken wiretap laws, too.

While the details of the Buzz privacy dispute can seem esoteric, the main thrust of EPIC's complaint is simple: Google should never have pushed all 37 million U.S. Gmail users into a social networking service without asking, said EPIC Executive Director Marc Rotenberg.

"E-mail is one area on the Internet where we have a well-understood expectation of privacy," Rotenberg said. "E-mail is for private messages. You sign up for social networking to communicate publicly with people, Google tried to turn e-mail into social networking, and that's where they ran into trouble."

The complaint lays out a series of alleged Google missteps that EPIC says constitute unfair or deceptive trade practices that violate the Federal Trade Commission Act. For starters, it says, all users who checked their Gmail account last week were suddenly signed up for Buzz. While Google offered users a chance to "check out" the service, it didn't give them the option to avoid it.

"Regardless of whether a user clicked the button labeled 'Sweet! Check out Buzz' or Nah, go to my inbox, Google Buzz was activated," the complaint says.

Gmail account holders who then began using Buzz found their first public posting was essentially a list of their most frequent e-mail contacts. Buzz decided for itself who users e-mailed most often, then put those users on a list as "followers" and made that list public. Quickly, nightmare hypothetical scenarios were published -- workers who had recently e-mailed about job interviews had their job hunt exposed, for example. Cheating lovers or spouses were outed.

"Gmail contact lists routinely include deeply personal information, including the names and email addresses of estranged spouses, current lovers, attorneys and doctors," the EPIC complaint said. "Users were not explicitly warned that their lists would be automatically visible to the public. ... Anyone looking at a newly activated Buzz users following list would know that the list indicated which people that user communicated with most often."

In addition to causing potential embarrassment -- or worse Google may have broken the law by disclosing e-mail contacts, EPIC said.

"Improper disclosure of even a limited amount of subscriber information by an e-mail service provider can be a violation of both state and federal law," it said. "An attempt by an e-mail service provider to attempt to convert the personal information of all of its customers into a separate service raises far-reaching concerns."

Google has already gone through two rounds of revisions with its service, and Buzz now tells new users that frequent e-mail partners will be followers unless the user prevents that. New users now see a list of potential followers -- checked by default -- when they sign up for the service.

New_Buzz_startup

Google's revised start-up doesn't go far enough, EPIC says

But on Tuesday, Rotenberg said that Google still hadn't gone far enough to address privacy concerns. Buzz still ropes in Gmail users and their e-mail contacts by default, which can lead to unintended disclosure of personal information, he says.

Rotenberg said Buzz users should have to actively opt in before Buzz is activated, rather than opt out.

"It's always about the defaults," he said.

EPIC has called on the FTC to force Google to:

*make Buzz a fully opt-in service.
* force Google to cease using Gmail users private address book contacts to compile social networking lists.
*give Buzz users more control over their information.

For a company that has already dealt with plenty of privacy related issues, Google's misreading of public reaction to Buzz is a surprise, said Larry Ponemon, a privacy researcher who runs The Ponemon Institute.

"It is astonishing to me that a decision was made to release a product that the average person would see as a potential privacy snafu," he said. "Things like this seem to happen because people making decisions just aren't thinking about privacy. Sometimes companies don't when they are about to release something they think is really cool."

HerbboxPonemon did say that he was impressed with Google's quick response to the controversy, taking only a few days to make changes to the service.

"They did take it seriously, you could tell they had all hands on deck," he said.

Rotenberg said Google was more worried about stiff competition in the social media world than privacy.

Google tried to take advantage of its market position" by dragging all Gmail users into Buzz overnight, he said, thereby giving the service a running start in the uphill battle to catch Facebook and Twitter in the social networking space.

That's why he wants the FTC to be more proactively involved in privacy policy.

"The FTC has had a hands-off policy, leading to some bad business practices," he said.

Google said in an e-mail statement to msnbc.com that it was working hard to make adjustments to its service based on user feedback, and will keep "user transparency and control top of mind.

We also welcome dialogue with EPIC and appreciate hearing directly from them about their concerns," the statement continued. "Our door is always open to organizations with suggestions about our products and services.

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Anyone remember when Google's guiding principle was "Do no evil"?

Sigh. Now they just look like another Microsoft.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Interesting you should say that. I found the following posting  online by an Anonymous who claims to have been a former employee of Microsoft. He gives an intriguing defense of Microsoft's business practices. Obviously, I can't verify anything this guy says, since he's anonymous and merely posting a comment on a Mozilla-related blog.

This whole Microsoft vs. the Forces of Good debate never ceases to amaze me.

Know some history, integrate the information, and see the big picture.

I was at Microsoft early on. At that time, Microsoft played second fiddle to Lotus, Wordperfect and Novell, and there was a nascent war brewing with IBM over next generation operating systems (NT vs OS/2).

People don't realize that Microsoft has as much and more cred as any company in this industry, and it's run and staffed by good people. It is not an Evil Empire.

In 1988, I had a poster on my (Ivy League)college dorm wall from Microsoft (before they hit a billion in sales) that was all about "hard core software." Microsoft built itself by attracting the best talent to the Seattle area to build personal computer operating systems and applications. Apple was really the only competitor. Otherwise, you were going to end up at IBM, Sun, DEC, Apple, Oracle or Andersen consulting (et al). If you really wanted to Change the World by creating Great Software for People at that time, your only real choices were Apple or Microsoft.

Important thing to realize: at this time, there were probably less than 1000 people in the world who were smart enough to write an OS. Those people were divided between Microsoft, Apple, Sun, DEC and IBM. The company with the most talent was going to win.

Fast forward. Apple hires John Sculley from Pepsi. Sculley's claim to fame will be that he dumbed down perfectly good fast food chains like Pizza Hut and Taco Bell in an effort to market his crappy second-rate Cola.

Sculley ousted Jobs, and spent a decade beating off, trying to market computers as if they were sugar water, and pissing away Apple's commanding lead in the personal computer OS space.

Steve Jobs started Next, which would have trounced everyone if he could understand the difference between a hardware and software company, which he still can't. (I shouldn't say that. He has a hard-on for great hardware, and more power to him. But it's really hobbled Apple's potential as a software company).

Jobs took pretty much all of Apple's top-tier software talent with him to Next.

Jean-Louis Gassee took pretty much all of Apple's 2nd tier talent with him to Be.

(I know I'm generalizing here, and I'm really, really sorry if I offend individuals who lived through it. I hope you can see the fundamental truths I'm trying to express.)

This basically left Apple's QA staff to build the operating systems. An outside observer could see it happening. It was like the original Mac ROMs built by Wozniak were the magic crystals that none of the apprentice wizards dared touch. Sculley turned a beautiful thing into a decade(++)-long clu5t3r f**k by driving talent out of the company.

At some point during those times, Apple employees learned on NPR on the way to work that Apple and IBM had formed an alliance to build a next generation operating system (Bing: Taligent). My friend in Microsoft HR that day said "our fax machine runneth over." (With Apple resumes). That day marked the ignominious end of Apple's hapless struggle to deliver quality software, which sinking ship only righted upon Jobs' triumphant return.

Meanwhile in the applications space... Lotus 123 owns spreadsheets. WordPerfect owns word processing. Novell owns networking. Note that Novell and WordPerfect are both from Utah, represented by Senator Orin Hatch. IBM owns the overall PC space, though they've made a critical error outsourcing their OS to Microsoft with no exclusivity. They failed to anticipate "clean room" BIOS implementations. Much to their dismay.

Microsoft releases Excel for Windows 1.1, and also Mac. Excel on Mac propels Apple's adoption in the business world. One can actually make a fairly reasonable argument that Apple would not exist without Microsoft Excel / Office applications for Mac.

Microsoft Word is second to WordPerfect. Excel is second to Lotus 123. Peer networking for PCs is expensive and in its infancy, and Novell is the leader.

Things begin to change with the release of Windows 3.1, which has pretty good peer networking, and runs Excel and Word.

Meanwhile, strong public / private key encryption is becoming feasible on personal computers. The US and other governments regard this technology as a "munition" with national security implications since it hampers the ability of intelligence agencies to intercept communications. They still do, though they seem to have given up enforcement. (Bing: RSA munitions t-shirt).

The Clinton Adminstration (who I know lots of modern Firefox / Open Source types probably idolize, but whatever) is all about "key escrow" and other schemes which would enable the government to have a back door into encrypted systems. (Bing: Clipper Chip; CDA) Clinton was not your friend.

The spooks approached Microsoft during this time with the idea that Windows should implement features to make it easy for the government to come in through the back door. They were (and still are; see recent news regarding standard fees for government agencies seeking "private" information) accustomed to communications providers playing ball.

You know, For the Children. Because it Takes a Village. In a Village, everybody knows everybody's business. Right? Bill and Hillary are your friends and neighbors. You've nothing to fear. If you need that much privacy, maybe you should not be doing whatever you're doing.

Microsoft, being a bunch of libertarian capitalists with an eye for international sales, basically told them to go to hell. How do you sell your new OS into international markets when the US government has a back door key? Best not to go there.

The government has a problem now. How do you bring a company in Seattle, which seems to be staffed and run by a bunch of surprisingly wealthy, libertarian, dope-smoking geeks (real geeks, not California hippie posers), to heel?

Fast forward. Excel is trouncing 123. Word is trouncing WordPerfect (Utah). Windows for Workgroups is trouncing Novell (Utah). IBM spends billions on a crash program to build and ship OS/2 Warp. Nobody can install the damned thing. Denver's Stapleton airport baggage handling system is the poster child for Warp, and it pretty much crashes and burns. Epic Fail. NT wins.

Orin Hatch, Senator from Utah, sics the FTC on Microsoft for antitrust. After much deliberation FTC comes down on the side of Microsoft. Bill Clinton wins the presidency. There's a bit of hoopla about his support amongst young Bay Area tech entrepreners (prominent is Jim Barksdale of Netscape, the progenitor of y'alls beloved Mozilla / Firefox). Clinton appoints Janet Reno. One of her first moves it to re-open the Microsoft antitrust investigation under the auspices of the Justice Department. This is unprecedented. Orin Hatch (R, Utah) is right there cheering her on.

Payback for political support? You be the judge.

The Clinton Administration spent most of the 90's trying to break Microsoft into an applications and (more easily controllable) operating systems company. Maybe I'm a wild-eyed, tin-hat-wearing conpiracy theorist, but I suspect that back doors, encryption, and political payola had more than a little to do with that.

I really believe there was a concerted effort to paint Microsoft as the "Evil Empire" at this time, and it has stuck amongst people who regard themselves as intelligentsia, and it has no merit. If you think Microsoft is the Evil Empire, you are the dupe of a much larger propaganda campaign aimed squarely at your privacy, and driven by the fact that Microsoft is one of the only companies in this industry who has ever given two shakes for your privacy.

Fast Forward to present day. Eric Schmidt goes on record stating that maybe your personal privacy ain't that important, and maybe if you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to worry about. Everybody who cares about the relationship between government and citizen should understand that statements like this strike at the very core of liberty.

Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google has been around the block a couple of times:

From April 1997 to July 2001, Schmidt served as the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Novell Inc

You think he doesn't know the score? You think he would roll over before he'd be on the receiving end of a government inquisition? I think so.

Microsoft has been there and survived intact. They understand a few things. They know the parameters, and they also know the value of privacy to the consumer.

Can you trust Microsoft? Can you trust Google?

I know two things.

Microsoft is in business to make money, and they understand that they must provide a good product and win my trust. I can relate to that, and I know where I stand.

I also know not to turn my back on anyone who takes extra time to tell me about how good they are. As in, "don't be evil." If you feel the need to say that to me, I'm going to watch you like a hawk.

Also, Bing is easier to type. Which will save many millions of person-hours over the long haul, and probably save the planet from global warming.
Posted by: Anonymous | December 11, 2009 4:55 AM

UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Interesting you should say that. I found the following posting  online by an Anonymous who claims to have been a former employee of Microsoft. He gives an intriguing defense of Microsoft's business practices. Obviously, I can't verify anything this guy says, since he's anonymous and merely posting a comment on a Mozilla-related blog.

This whole Microsoft vs. the Forces of Good debate never ceases to amaze me.

Know some history, integrate the information, and see the big picture.

I was at Microsoft early on. At that time, Microsoft played second fiddle to Lotus, Wordperfect and Novell, and there was a nascent war brewing with IBM over next generation operating systems (NT vs OS/2).

People don't realize that Microsoft has as much and more cred as any company in this industry, and it's run and staffed by good people. It is not an Evil Empire.

In 1988, I had a poster on my (Ivy League)college dorm wall from Microsoft (before they hit a billion in sales) that was all about "hard core software." Microsoft built itself by attracting the best talent to the Seattle area to build personal computer operating systems and applications. Apple was really the only competitor. Otherwise, you were going to end up at IBM, Sun, DEC, Apple, Oracle or Andersen consulting (et al). If you really wanted to Change the World by creating Great Software for People at that time, your only real choices were Apple or Microsoft.

Important thing to realize: at this time, there were probably less than 1000 people in the world who were smart enough to write an OS. Those people were divided between Microsoft, Apple, Sun, DEC and IBM. The company with the most talent was going to win.

Fast forward. Apple hires John Sculley from Pepsi. Sculley's claim to fame will be that he dumbed down perfectly good fast food chains like Pizza Hut and Taco Bell in an effort to market his crappy second-rate Cola.

Sculley ousted Jobs, and spent a decade beating off, trying to market computers as if they were sugar water, and pissing away Apple's commanding lead in the personal computer OS space.

Steve Jobs started Next, which would have trounced everyone if he could understand the difference between a hardware and software company, which he still can't. (I shouldn't say that. He has a hard-on for great hardware, and more power to him. But it's really hobbled Apple's potential as a software company).

Jobs took pretty much all of Apple's top-tier software talent with him to Next.

Jean-Louis Gassee took pretty much all of Apple's 2nd tier talent with him to Be.

(I know I'm generalizing here, and I'm really, really sorry if I offend individuals who lived through it. I hope you can see the fundamental truths I'm trying to express.)

This basically left Apple's QA staff to build the operating systems. An outside observer could see it happening. It was like the original Mac ROMs built by Wozniak were the magic crystals that none of the apprentice wizards dared touch. Sculley turned a beautiful thing into a decade(++)-long clu5t3r f**k by driving talent out of the company.

At some point during those times, Apple employees learned on NPR on the way to work that Apple and IBM had formed an alliance to build a next generation operating system (Bing: Taligent). My friend in Microsoft HR that day said "our fax machine runneth over." (With Apple resumes). That day marked the ignominious end of Apple's hapless struggle to deliver quality software, which sinking ship only righted upon Jobs' triumphant return.

Meanwhile in the applications space... Lotus 123 owns spreadsheets. WordPerfect owns word processing. Novell owns networking. Note that Novell and WordPerfect are both from Utah, represented by Senator Orin Hatch. IBM owns the overall PC space, though they've made a critical error outsourcing their OS to Microsoft with no exclusivity. They failed to anticipate "clean room" BIOS implementations. Much to their dismay.

Microsoft releases Excel for Windows 1.1, and also Mac. Excel on Mac propels Apple's adoption in the business world. One can actually make a fairly reasonable argument that Apple would not exist without Microsoft Excel / Office applications for Mac.

Microsoft Word is second to WordPerfect. Excel is second to Lotus 123. Peer networking for PCs is expensive and in its infancy, and Novell is the leader.

Things begin to change with the release of Windows 3.1, which has pretty good peer networking, and runs Excel and Word.

Meanwhile, strong public / private key encryption is becoming feasible on personal computers. The US and other governments regard this technology as a "munition" with national security implications since it hampers the ability of intelligence agencies to intercept communications. They still do, though they seem to have given up enforcement. (Bing: RSA munitions t-shirt).

The Clinton Adminstration (who I know lots of modern Firefox / Open Source types probably idolize, but whatever) is all about "key escrow" and other schemes which would enable the government to have a back door into encrypted systems. (Bing: Clipper Chip; CDA) Clinton was not your friend.

The spooks approached Microsoft during this time with the idea that Windows should implement features to make it easy for the government to come in through the back door. They were (and still are; see recent news regarding standard fees for government agencies seeking "private" information) accustomed to communications providers playing ball.

You know, For the Children. Because it Takes a Village. In a Village, everybody knows everybody's business. Right? Bill and Hillary are your friends and neighbors. You've nothing to fear. If you need that much privacy, maybe you should not be doing whatever you're doing.

Microsoft, being a bunch of libertarian capitalists with an eye for international sales, basically told them to go to hell. How do you sell your new OS into international markets when the US government has a back door key? Best not to go there.

The government has a problem now. How do you bring a company in Seattle, which seems to be staffed and run by a bunch of surprisingly wealthy, libertarian, dope-smoking geeks (real geeks, not California hippie posers), to heel?

Fast forward. Excel is trouncing 123. Word is trouncing WordPerfect (Utah). Windows for Workgroups is trouncing Novell (Utah). IBM spends billions on a crash program to build and ship OS/2 Warp. Nobody can install the damned thing. Denver's Stapleton airport baggage handling system is the poster child for Warp, and it pretty much crashes and burns. Epic Fail. NT wins.

Orin Hatch, Senator from Utah, sics the FTC on Microsoft for antitrust. After much deliberation FTC comes down on the side of Microsoft. Bill Clinton wins the presidency. There's a bit of hoopla about his support amongst young Bay Area tech entrepreners (prominent is Jim Barksdale of Netscape, the progenitor of y'alls beloved Mozilla / Firefox). Clinton appoints Janet Reno. One of her first moves it to re-open the Microsoft antitrust investigation under the auspices of the Justice Department. This is unprecedented. Orin Hatch (R, Utah) is right there cheering her on.

Payback for political support? You be the judge.

The Clinton Administration spent most of the 90's trying to break Microsoft into an applications and (more easily controllable) operating systems company. Maybe I'm a wild-eyed, tin-hat-wearing conpiracy theorist, but I suspect that back doors, encryption, and political payola had more than a little to do with that.

I really believe there was a concerted effort to paint Microsoft as the "Evil Empire" at this time, and it has stuck amongst people who regard themselves as intelligentsia, and it has no merit. If you think Microsoft is the Evil Empire, you are the dupe of a much larger propaganda campaign aimed squarely at your privacy, and driven by the fact that Microsoft is one of the only companies in this industry who has ever given two shakes for your privacy.

Fast Forward to present day. Eric Schmidt goes on record stating that maybe your personal privacy ain't that important, and maybe if you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to worry about. Everybody who cares about the relationship between government and citizen should understand that statements like this strike at the very core of liberty.

Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google has been around the block a couple of times:

From April 1997 to July 2001, Schmidt served as the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board of Novell Inc

You think he doesn't know the score? You think he would roll over before he'd be on the receiving end of a government inquisition? I think so.

Microsoft has been there and survived intact. They understand a few things. They know the parameters, and they also know the value of privacy to the consumer.

Can you trust Microsoft? Can you trust Google?

I know two things.

Microsoft is in business to make money, and they understand that they must provide a good product and win my trust. I can relate to that, and I know where I stand.

I also know not to turn my back on anyone who takes extra time to tell me about how good they are. As in, "don't be evil." If you feel the need to say that to me, I'm going to watch you like a hawk.

Also, Bing is easier to type. Which will save many millions of person-hours over the long haul, and probably save the planet from global warming.
Posted by: Anonymous | December 11, 2009 4:55 AM

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Good essay, even if "anonymous." Bolded bit is an especially good point. Interesting historical detail throughout.

I don't like concentration. I don't like the concept of "market dominance." As everyone probalby has figured out by now, I'm a serious believer in the market system as the "best yet figured out." But I'm always concerned when you see "the one" being pointed to by everyone.

Bigness is a good indicator of doing something right. "Really honking bigness" is often an indicator of just having a lot of wealth and being able to do a lot of something mediocre. GM. Exxon. Merrill Lynch. (IMO) Microsoft. The Dallas Cowboys. Donald Trump.

And Google....Google is now in "really honking bigness" territory. That worries me.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Good stuff.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

EPIC: Google may have broken wiretap law

Gmail account holders who then began using Buzz found their first public posting was essentially a list of their most frequent e-mail contacts. Buzz decided for itself who users e-mailed most often, then put those users on a list as "followers" and made that list public. Quickly, nightmare hypothetical scenarios were published -- workers who had recently e-mailed about job interviews had their job hunt exposed, for example. Cheating lovers or spouses were outed.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I laugh at that bolded statement. I just have an image in my head of hundreds of cheaters running to EPIC with complaints about how their relationships are ruined. Don't wanna get caught? Don't effing cheat!!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
14 years ago
It will be interesting to see the fallout from this case.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35556625/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets 

Google execs convicted of privacy violations

MILAN, Italy - Three Google executives were convicted of privacy violations Wednesday in allowing a video of an autistic boy being abused to be posted online a case that has been closely watched for its implications on Internet freedom.

Judge Oscar Magi absolved the three of defamation and acquitted a fourth defendant altogether. The three received a suspended six-month sentence for the conviction on violating the youth's privacy.

The trial had been closely watched since it could help define whether the Internet in Italy is an open, self-regulating platform or if content must be better monitored for abusive material.
Story continues below advertisement | your ad here

Google has said it considered the trial a threat to freedom on the Internet because it could force providers to attempt an impossible task prescreening thousands of hours daily of YouTube footage.

Prosecutors insist the case is not about censorship but about balancing freedom of expression with the rights of an individual.

The four executives were tried in absentia in a closed-door trial.

All denied wrongdoing. None was in any way involved with the production of the video or uploading it onto the viewing platform, but prosecutors argued that it shot to the top of a most-viewed list and should have been noticed.

Convicted of privacy violations were Google's senior vice president and chief legal officer David Drummond, former chief financial officer George Reyes and global privacy counsel Peter Fleischer. Senior product marketing manager Arvind Desikan was acquitted.

Bullies
The charges were sought by Vivi Down, an advocacy group for people with Down syndrome. The group alerted prosecutors to the 2006 video showing an autistic student in Turin being beaten and insulted by bullies at school. In the footage, the youth is being mistreated while one of the teenagers puts in a mock telephone call to Vivi Down.

Google Italy, which is based in Milan, eventually took down the video, though the two sides disagree on how fast the company reacted to complaints. Thanks to the footage and Google's cooperation, the four bullies were identified and sentenced by a juvenile court to community service.

The events shortly preceded Google's 2006 acquisition of YouTube.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
14 years ago

It will be interesting to see the fallout from this case.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35556625/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets 

Google execs convicted of privacy violations

MILAN, Italy - Three Google executives were convicted of privacy violations Wednesday in allowing a video of an autistic boy being abused to be posted online a case that has been closely watched for its implications on Internet freedom.

Judge Oscar Magi absolved the three of defamation and acquitted a fourth defendant altogether. The three received a suspended six-month sentence for the conviction on violating the youth's privacy.

The trial had been closely watched since it could help define whether the Internet in Italy is an open, self-regulating platform or if content must be better monitored for abusive material.
Story continues below advertisement | your ad here

Google has said it considered the trial a threat to freedom on the Internet because it could force providers to attempt an impossible task prescreening thousands of hours daily of YouTube footage.

Prosecutors insist the case is not about censorship but about balancing freedom of expression with the rights of an individual.

The four executives were tried in absentia in a closed-door trial.

All denied wrongdoing. None was in any way involved with the production of the video or uploading it onto the viewing platform, but prosecutors argued that it shot to the top of a most-viewed list and should have been noticed.

Convicted of privacy violations were Google's senior vice president and chief legal officer David Drummond, former chief financial officer George Reyes and global privacy counsel Peter Fleischer. Senior product marketing manager Arvind Desikan was acquitted.

Bullies
The charges were sought by Vivi Down, an advocacy group for people with Down syndrome. The group alerted prosecutors to the 2006 video showing an autistic student in Turin being beaten and insulted by bullies at school. In the footage, the youth is being mistreated while one of the teenagers puts in a mock telephone call to Vivi Down.

Google Italy, which is based in Milan, eventually took down the video, though the two sides disagree on how fast the company reacted to complaints. Thanks to the footage and Google's cooperation, the four bullies were identified and sentenced by a juvenile court to community service.

The events shortly preceded Google's 2006 acquisition of YouTube.

"pack93z" wrote:

I read that earlier today. As annoyed as I am about Buzz and google in general, this is retarded.
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
beast (5h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (5h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (5h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (5h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (12h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.