Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I know he spitballs a ton.. probably exclusively.. but hey it is something to read and whom knows.. lol.

http://joeslockerroom.wordpress.com/ 

Before I start the O.T.S. I would like to thank all the people who sent well wishes after the sudden loss of my cousin Scott. I also want to publicly say Happy Birthday to my wife, Teon (whose birthday is the 21st).

Here is the latest edition of the On The Sidelines Green Bay Packers rumor series. This week is all about the 2010 NFL Draft and free agency.

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

Many people think that the Packers biggest need is in the secondary and I hear Ted Thompson wants to add a veteran corner or safety via the free agent route or trade.

I posted a few weeks back that the Packers had talked to the Chargers (or vice versa) about Antonio Cromartie. He is available (and has been for a while) and the Chargers asking price is not a steep as some may think.

Another name that I hear may be released and is a player the Packers are watching closely is Colts safety Bob Sanders. He has been hurt the past couple years and is making huge money. Bill Polian is deciding whether or not to move on from the talented yet injury prone safety.

Keep an eye on Kerry Rhodes from the Jets. The coaching staff is not as high on him as they were a year ago. I hear the Jets arent actively shopping him, but will listen to any teams that want to discuss him.

The Jets also dont plan on keeping Lito Sheppard. They were disappointed with his play after they dealt for him last year. No word on if he will be cut or traded.

Antrelle Rolle is another player that could a match for the Packers. The Cardinals free agent is a playmaking Safety that also has the ability to cover the tight end. He has said that he wants to go back to Florida, but he would be an upgrade over Atari Bigby. (This scenario was also posted on totalpackers and is being discussed by myself, Jason Beebe, Jersey Al and others via inbox on facebook.)

I was told by a close friend that works for the Jaguars that the team is not happy with Reggie Nelsons play and attitude and is considering releasing or trading him. The former first round picks play has not been what the Jags expected when they took him and he was briefly benched at the end of last season by Jack Del Rio.

He also told me that the Jags are also considering trading former Pro Bowl cornerback Rahshean Mathis. He is due over $9 million and has missed a lot of time due to injuries the past two seasons.

There has been talk that the Packers and Cowboys could get together for a draft day deal. The Packers would receive the Cowboys first round pick, 3rd round pick and linebacker Victor Butler for the Packers 1st round pick. I hear that the Cowboys want to add an offensive lineman or corner back.

I hear that the Packers have interest in Adalius Thomas, but he prefers to stay on the east coast.

Many people I have spoken to seem to think that the Packers are a team that is under the radar when it comes to Julius Peppers. Some think that Thompson is willing to spend the money (but not over spend) to bring him to Green Bay.

The Saints have a few questions when it comes to who they bring back and let go. I keep hearing that they are prepared to let former Pro Bowl left tackle Jammal Brown walk and that the Packers have a major interest in him. He is coming off a knee injury that had him on I.R.

Another name that keeps coming up when it comes to the Packers and possibly adding a tackle in free agency is Donald Penn of Tampa Bay.

The Chargers front office (GM AJ Smith) has fallen out of favor with Marcus McNeil (like Anotnio Cromartie) and is willing to let him walk. McNeil thinks he can command a huge pay-day on the open market, but with his neck issues it may not be as prosperous as he thinks.

I heard that the Packers have requested everything on Boise ST. corner back Kyle Wilson, USC safety Taylor Mays, Clemson tailback C.J. Spiller, Marylands Bruce Campbell, Cals Jahvid Best, Dexter McCluster of Ole Miss and Rodger Staffold of Indiana.

Some people are starting to think that there will be 6 offensive tackles taken in the first 15 picks of the first round.

A few safety names that I hear the Packers are looking at hard (in the 2010 draft) are TJ Ward, Myron Lewis and Darrell Stuckey.

If the Packers do not draft a safety in round 1 look for either Chad Scott of LSU or Georgia Techs Morgan Burnett as possible round two targets.

Have a great wekeend!

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
djcubez
14 years ago
I agree with you. It may be a bunch of hogwash but it's still something to read and think about lol.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
93z, you gotta post what Patty says if you are willing to post what Arrigo throws out there.

In all of this, she has proven to have some of the most credible info on the Packers on the web.

Considering she has heard some heard that Nelson is indeed in the doghouse with the Jags... that's an interesting avenue.

She also says that Cowboys / Packers have made eyes at each other (so to speak, in my own words) about being trade partners... Packers would apparently want OLB Butler.

Packers also have interest in Saint LT Brown....

Combine starts soon!
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
longtimefan
14 years ago
Allabout

I think he posted that from Joes blog thats why he didnt post Patty's
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Allabout

I think he posted that from Joes blog thats why he didnt post Patty's

"longtimefan" wrote:

:facepalm:

Is it too late to take back what I said?

Edit: Yes, yes it is. Well.... you'd think people would usually read through entire posts before posting replies. ^ is another reason to read through an entire post before replying, lest you look stupid.
longtimefan
14 years ago
Joe did post exact same thing on PC though
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
AADP.. it was part reading material.. part humor.. color it pure entertainment.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
^ Anything to talk about this time of year!

Ahem, getting back to the purpose of this thread....

I'm intrigued by the Bob Sanders idea. Would be... outstanding if the Colts released him and the Pack showed a heavy interest.

The Thomas thing is interesting too; Packers wanted him last tim ebut he chose the Pats. Now he can stay a 3-4 OLB, and may come at a cheaper price too, if the Pack go after him. Smart to have some veteran OLB on the roster, especially if Kamp is going to leave town.
porky88
14 years ago
From the looks of it, if the player is on the market and a big name, GB is interested. Intriguing yes, but probably not true.

I can't think of one thing that actually became something that originated from the rumors posted from that site.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
More from smoking Joe..

I find it interesting the he connected the dots to the Raiders.. lol.

Here is the O.T.S. for the week of February 22nd through the 28th. In this weeks O.T.S. we will touch on more free agency rumors and of course the NFL Draft since the combine is going on this weekend. Remember, I am writing this BEFORE the combines goes into full swing, so next weeks O.T.S. will have more news from the combine.

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

I dont recall if I had this in the past O.T.S. but I have heard (for a while now) that Ted Thompson would like to add a veteran corner back and/or offensive tackle via trade or free agency.
I touched on this in various Packers websites/forums this week. ESPNs Adam Schefter reported that the Oakland Raiders are willing to deal any player on their roster, including the NFLs best corner back, Nnamdi Asomugha. The word started to come out at the Shrine practices, but intensified after the Senior Bowl.

I have heard that the Packers have talked to Oakland multiple times about Nnamdi Asomugha, Darren McFadden and Thomas Howard. There is no word on the price tag, but we can only assume that for Asomugha it is going to be steep. This may be Ted Thompson doing his due diligence, but the two teams also spoke last year when Oakland was willing to listen to offers.

Keep an eye on Texans soon-to-be free agent Daunte Robinson. The corner out of South Carolina has ties to Dom Capers and would be a very good fit in the Packers defensive scheme.

For two years the name Julius Peppers has had Packers fans hoping that he could find his way to Green Bay. I hear those fans wanting him can keep wishing. The thought is Thompson will check-in on Peppers, but will not over spend for him. The Packers remain a dark horse for Peppers, but only at the right price.

When the Eagles released Brian Westbrook the Vikings became the most likely suitor since they will lose Chester Taylor this off-season. But I have heard that the Packers, Redskins, Vikings and Patriots have all had contact with his agent about possibly signing him (after his official release).

The Packers are continuing to work on an extension for Ryan Pickett, but since a deal is not close to being done,m they will franchise him. He is cool with it since the two parties both want Pickett to stay in Green Bay. Part of the reasoning to franchise Pickett is because the NFL is planning suspend Johnny Jolly. I hear the suspension between 4-6 games. That would mean B.J. Raji will get a lot more snaps at defensive end.

Speaking of Jolly, look for the Packers to tender him and ensure he remains with Green Bay for the forseeable future. They will have to do it before his trial takes place and even if (when) he is suspended in 2011.

A name that I hear is flying up the Packers draft board is Georgia Tech safety Morgan Burnett. He is an underrated player with big play ability and not afraid to make a big hit.

Another name that is creating a buzz at 1265 is Antrel Rolle of the Arizona Cardinals. I heard that he is a player that some Packers officials think would solve the safety issue and also give the Packers the best safety combo in the NFC.

A restricted free agent that may not be retained or could be traded is Oaklands Kalif Barnes. There is some speculation that he maybe a player that the Packers target to play right tackle.

Ted Thompson still would like to keep Aaron Kampman from what I gathered. But the question is does Kampman want to stay in Green Bay. I hear he agent and the Packers are still talking, for what its worth.

One surprising name that has been linked to Green Bay is Oklahoma St. quarterback Zac Robinson. I have been hearing that the Packers are smitten with him and he could be a late round selection by the Packers. He has a decent arm but his highly athletic and raw.

A player that has to have a good combine in order to lock down a first round selection is TCU outside linebacker and pass rush expert Jerry Hughes. He is a player that the packers are looking at late in round 1 or even early in round 2.

I have also heard that at the right price Ted Thompson would like to bring in Chargers running back Darren Sproles, who will be allowed to become a free agent.