British
14 years ago
Quite a bit of stuff in here. Some interesting thoughts on TT's approach and scouts wondering how they missed Brad Jones.

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel

March 4, 2010 5:25 p.m. |(4) Comments

Green Bay Some thoughts on free agency, the Packers and the combine as we draw closer to the start of the new league year:

* I understand that Packers fans want to get all revved up about the start of free agency, just like their friends that support other teams. Its really fun to think about what a guy like Julius Peppers would look like on the other side of Clay Matthews. Or Antrel Rolle roaming the secondary next to Nick Collins. I get it. I really do. But my advice to Packers fans is this: Just stop. Please. For your own mental health. There is absolutely no reason for you to expect anything out of the initial rush of free agency. The Packers do not get involved during the first weekend of free agency. They may call a few guys and tell them theyre interested, but there will be no urgency. Most of the Packers coaching staff is given off after the combine and arent due back in the offices until Monday. Now, theyre still around town and can be brought in to help sell someone if needed, but thats not the method of operation for general manager Ted Thompson. Unless Thompson suddenly changes course, he will sit out the opening weekend and see how the market it sorts itself out once the silly money is gone.
* Youre probably looking for rumors about which guys the Packers will be interested in. You wont find any. The Packers are one of the few teams maybe the only team that DOES NOT tamper with players before free agency starts. Packers also do not like to be played against other teams, so they lay in the weeds. So any rumors you might hear about the Packers being interested in this guy or that guy, ignore them for the most part. The one player the Packers called shortly after free agency started one of the few times they have done that -- was former Dallas Cowboys end Chris Canty last year. The Packers never hinted at any interest before that time.
* There was much less wheeling and dealing this year at the combine for a couple of different reasons. For one, there was so much uncertainty about which players would be re-signed by their teams and, most importantly, teams really wanted to see what the restricted free-agent tenders would look like. Thats where most of the action is expected to be since those RFAs, for the most part, have proven they have NFL ability and are still young. In that way they are a safer bet than a player a team might draft in the second or third round. Even in a deep draft like this one.
* With some teams cutting player costs, there should be a lot of value late in the free agency period, so that could play into the Packers hands. Youre already seeing some blood-letting around the league. Teams that have good pro personnel departments should be able to find the right guys for their teams at reasonable prices.
* That being said, teams that are creative with their accounting and have a clear, concise and aggressive plan of attack could really improve their teams in a short amount of time in this strange off-season with no salary cap. The feeling is teams that dont think outside the box could be left kicking themselves.
* Ever wonder why it seems like the Packers do nothing and then all of a sudden quickly get things done, especially on the contract front? According to people that have and are dealing with the Packers, the chief cause is that Thompson changes his mind so many times during the process. He moves so methodically and doesnt like to be rushed, but he can also be indecisive. He can flip flop on a trade or the strategy for a contract negotiation multiple times during the course of it, and can often put negotiator Russ Ball, and deal-seekers Reggie McKenzie and John Dorsey in tough spots. Thompson can play coy about, say re-signing Aaron Kampman, for weeks, and then suddenly walk in one day and want it to happen.
* On that subject, two sources said the Packers were still deciding on their restricted free-agent tenders as late as Tuesday this week, one day before they were sent out.
* One source said it appeared the Packers werent really organized on free agency not even their own unrestricteds last week at the combine.
* But another cautioned, saying thats just a smokescreen, that inside his head, Thompson knows exactly what hes doing. Even if he doesnt inform his inner circle.
* Sean Jensen at the Chicago Sun-Times says hes hearing the Philadelphia Eagles will be first in line for linebacker/end Aaron Kampman once free agency starts.
* Former Packers player finance chief Andrew Brandt offers some insight on the two midnight deals he did with Kampman and Chad Clifton.
* The Buffalo Bills believe they got a steal in tackle Jamon Meredith, the Packers fifth-round pick whom the Bills signed off the Packers practice squad. Interesting given the Packers lack of players that even have the potential to play left tackle. Of course, the Bills havent seen Meredith try (unsuccessfully) to make it through training camp practices.
* Bills also feel that quarterback Brian Brohm, who was also taken from the practice squad, has a chance to compete as a starting quarterback. They just want to get his confidence back up.
* Thompson definitely made the right choice on defensive tackle Corey Williams, when Thompson decided to let someone else give Williams his big contract when he was traded to Cleveland. In a word, Williams has been lazy in Cleveland and is still trying to live off the sack numbers he posted with the Packers when he was getting single blocked alongside Kampman, Cullen Jenkins and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila.
* Cardinals LB Karlos Dansby to the Dolphins, and the Bears taking offers for TE Greg Olsen were the two loudest rumors I heard in Indianapolis at a remarkably quiet combine.
* A 3-4 defensive line coach told me that Idaho guard Mike Iupati jumped off the film so much at the Senior Bowl that the coach didnt want to watch linemen anymore, he just wanted to watch Iupati maul people. While some think Iupati could play tackle in the NFL, that likely wont come for a couple years. Hes the type of guy that needs to be made comfortable in one spot. Once he masters that, then you can try to move him. Coach said hed lobby to take Iupati in the top 20.
* A 3-4 coach told me he wanted nothing to do with Michigan linebacker Brandon Graham because his short stature and short arms will make it hard for him to get off blocks.
* Line coach said Penn State DE Jared Odrick is a try-hard kid that wont make plays in the NFL. Cant two-gap like you need in the 3-4.
* Couldn't tell you how many people raved about TE Jermichael Finley. People around the league expect him to be a Pro Bowler this season. Scouts also like LB Brad Jones and wonder how they missed him.

Well have more on draft prospects in April as the three-day draft gets closer.

Well be back within the next day with a list of players to keep an eye on in free agency in regards to the Packers once the restricted free-agent tenders are made public by the NFL this evening, and teams cut ties with some of their higher-priced talent.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Eagles in hunt for Kampman? NFP 

As the clock ticks down to the start of the new league year, the reports from around the internets continue to pick up.

One of the latest pieces of information comes from Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times, who is hearing from a league source that the Philadelphia Eagles could be players in the Aaron Kampman sweepstakes.

One league source told me that Kampman may be headed to Philadelphia, said Jensen.

The move makes a ton of sense. The Eagles are in desperate need of a pass rushing defensive end that can complement Pro Bowler Trent Cole.

Kampmanan eight-year veteran out of Iowarecorded 3.5 sacks with the Green Bay Packers in 2009 before tearing his ACL midway through the year, ending his season. From 2006-2008, the defensive end racked up 37 sacks in 47 games with the Packers.

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I don't believe Ted Thompson is truly indecisive. I think he portrays himself that way precisely to keep the rumors from spreading. If he doesn't seem to know himself what he wants to do, there's no point in leaking anything to the media.
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago
Kampman is gone for sure if he hits the open market.

No way Ted Thompson outbids the depserate draftless Bears AND the Eagles, both of whom want Kampman at 4-3 DE.

Only thing keeping Kampman here is the chances of us getting him a SB ring, but the Eagles provide just as good an opportunity.
UserPostedImage
RainX
14 years ago
Kampman is probably as good as gone at this point. Nice to hear good things about Jones and Finley.
blank
DakotaT
14 years ago
I would rather see Kampmann in Philly than playing us twice a year. I'm also hoping Peppers goes anywhere but Chicago. Why would a veteran want to go to Chicago when they are so so far from contending.
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago

I would rather see Kampmann in Philly than playing us twice a year. I'm also hoping Peppers goes anywhere but Chicago. Why would a veteran want to go to Chicago when they are so so far from contending.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Because football players are generally greedy and stupid. It happens every year and it boggles my mind.

But then who thought the Saints would win the SB 4 years after being the 2nd worst team in the NFL?

Part of me hopes Peppers does go to Chicago. He'll probably bankrupt them, I think he's going to get massively overpaid.

Kampman is much better value in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Kampman is gone because he doesn't fit he 3-4 and he doesn't think he can make the transition. It's just one of those things. GB made the transition and tried it with him and it didn't workout. I for one hope the best for him. I think he'll be a great get for any 4-3 team. Philly especially.

A lot of whats said at the Combine is all lies. People are liars right now. I think if I know what is going on, Thompson knows whats going on. None of the tenders were "shocking". Maybe a second rounder for Jolly, but with him facing a four game suspension, it's very unlikely someone signs him.

An example of what I read that is just iffy to me is the Brandon Graham statement. New England likes big 3-4 OLBS, but Pittsburgh doesn't. They don't care about the height. Every team has their preference. While one team will prefer Everson Griffen in a 3-4, another could think differently. For all we know, that scout is from a Pittsburgh like team and is just trying to get a false word out there.

That's why I say be careful. Certain reporters have their sources and some don't. Schefner, for example, is a good guy to look at when you want your Raider, Texan, and Mike Shanahan info.
shield4life
14 years ago
Really sad we should of traded Kampman last off season or in the first weeks instead of losing a quality DE for nothing.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
We think that Kampman wasn't a very good 3-4 OLB, yet didn't he get the second most QB pressures on the team, with only playing 9 games? Half a second faster and many of them could have been sacks.

In any case, losing Kampman is going to hurt. Let's hope Brad Jones is ready.
blank
Fan Shout
TheKanataThrilla (7m) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (4h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (13h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (17h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (17h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (18h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
44m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

53m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.