British
14 years ago
TT's free agency batting average is something he should be very proud of.

Woodson, Pickett and Chillar - his biggest moves, have all been successful.

His failures (Anthony Smith, Preston etc) are so small fry that the financial cost doesn't have a big impact on the franchise. Once you pay out for a guy like Haynesworth etc those moves can take years to recover from.

Last year many of us were demanding Ted Thompson sign Chris Canty or Haynesworth - yet both failed to live up to expectations. In fact both their new teams got worse.
Ted Thompson is not only a decent drafter, he's a solid operator in free agency. So far he has shown which players to avoid, and when he's had a swing in free agency he's hit a homerun (Woodson) and got a couple of RBIs (Pickett, Chillar).

As former Packers cap man Andrew Brandt always says, often the best deals are the ones you avoid.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Of course he appears to use free agency the way a national league manager uses the designated hitter.

More seriously, it could be argued that his high batting average in free agency is an argument that he should pay more attention to it, not less.

I know "build through the draft" is the general consensus everywhere, but arguably Ted is better batting-average wise through FA than he is thru draft...which would suggest perhaps he should go against consensus.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I have trusted and backed Ted through all of his moves, in belief that he is willing to do what it takes to get the team to the SB. I love the youth and talent that has been built.

But my support is beginning to fade. If Ted doesn't do something this year or next, something extra to make that push, I think the window is going to pass this team by. We are close, and only need a little extra kick.

I hope I have been right and Ted proves to everybody once and for all that he is willing to go that extra step.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
British
14 years ago

Of course he appears to use free agency the way a national league manager uses the designated hitter.

More seriously, it could be argued that his high batting average in free agency is an argument that he should pay more attention to it, not less.

I know "build through the draft" is the general consensus everywhere, but arguably Ted is better batting-average wise through FA than he is thru draft...which would suggest perhaps he should go against consensus.

"Wade" wrote:

But this is exactly my point. The very fact he is selective is why he's been successful.

Of course Ted probably wants there to be more free agents like Woodson, Pickett and Chillar out there to sign, but if they're not there, they're not there.

Thompson signing more won't make them great. If they're worth it he seems to sign them, if not, he doesn't.

During Ted's reign as Packer GM how many truly great free agents have hit the market and lived up to the money and the hype? How many have failed to? From what I can gather the majority have failed.

Last year was a good example. Haynesworth, Canty and our own Colin Cole didn't make the impact they promised to.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
14 years ago

"British" wrote:

But this is exactly my point. The very fact he is selective is why he's been successful.

Of course Ted probably wants there to be more free agents like Woodson, Pickett and Chillar out there to sign, but if they're not there, they're not there.

Thompson signing more won't make them great. If they're worth it he seems to sign them, if not, he doesn't.

During Ted's reign as Packer GM how many truly great free agents have hit the market and lived up to the money and the hype? How many have failed to? From what I can gather the majority have failed.

Last year was a good example. Haynesworth, Canty and our own Colin Cole didn't make the impact they promised to.

"Wade" wrote:

That is true, but those players have only been with their respective teams for 1 season. Sometimes it takes a player a couple seasons to really get into the grove with their new teams.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
14 years ago
Also I believe Canty had some injury problems this season. Hardly a reason to call that move a "failure."
porky88
14 years ago
I think Thompson's problem is he's too conservative. He needs to take a risk and I know he took one in Woodson, but that was four years ago. He's due.

I will say though just because you don't agree with a particular philosophy doesn't mean that philosophy can't work. As I've said before, there isn't one constant way to build a football team. Actually, all the good teams utilize the draft well, but when it comes to free agency, it's basically a dart board.
bigfog
14 years ago
I dunno, this year's crop of free agents isn't really anything to sniff at, and the cost at picking up one of the restricted agents isn't too appealing.

Look at the Steelers. They typically aren't big free agent players, and they've won two superbowls in the last ten years. If Ted makes any moves this offseason, I think it'll happen in the draft.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
shield4life
14 years ago
Agreed with bigfog, there isn't anyone that's driving me insane. If we grab secondary help sure why not but if we don't who cares.

As long as we get a good draft this team is great.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
British
14 years ago

I think Thompson's problem is he's too conservative. He needs to take a risk and I know he took one in Woodson, but that was four years ago. He's due.

I will say though just because you don't agree with a particular philosophy doesn't mean that philosophy can't work. As I've said before, there isn't one constant way to build a football team. Actually, all the good teams utilize the draft well, but when it comes to free agency, it's basically a dart board.

"porky88" wrote:

You don't think Ted Thompson takes risks?

How about hiring as his head coach the Offensive Coordinator of the worst offense in the league?

Or opting to go with an unproven QB over a Hall of Famer?

Or trading the heart of his 2009 draft for a rookie?

Not to mention paying Woodson a heck of a lot of money when no one else wanted him.

The man is a risk taker but, on balance, his risks seem to have paid off so far.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (45m) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (45m) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (3h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (3h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (3h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (4h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (4h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (15h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (16h) : damn those vikings
beast (16h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (16h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (16h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (16h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (23h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.