Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Detroit wants to save itself by shrinking 
Blighted city considers plan to turn large swaths of land back into fields

UserPostedImage

updated 3:45 p.m. CT, Mon., March. 8, 2010

DETROIT - Detroit, the very symbol of American industrial might for most of the 20th century, is drawing up a radical renewal plan that calls for turning large swaths of this now-blighted, rusted-out city back into the fields and farmland that existed before the automobile.

Operating on a scale never before attempted in this country, the city would demolish houses in some of the most desolate sections of Detroit and move residents into stronger neighborhoods. Roughly a quarter of the 139-square-mile city could go from urban to semi-rural.

Near downtown, fruit trees and vegetable farms would replace neighborhoods that are an eerie landscape of empty buildings and vacant lots. Suburban commuters heading into the city center might pass through what looks like the countryside to get there. Surviving neighborhoods in the birthplace of the auto industry would become pockets in expanses of green.

Detroit officials first raised the idea in the 1990s, when blight was spreading. Now, with the recession plunging the city deeper into ruin, a decision on how to move forward is approaching. Mayor Dave Bing, who took office last year, is expected to unveil some details in his state-of-the-city address this month.

"Things that were unthinkable are now becoming thinkable," said James W. Hughes, dean of the School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University, who is among the urban experts watching the experiment with interest. "There is now a realization that past glories are never going to be recaptured. Some people probably don't accept that, but that is the reality."

People are afraid

The meaning of what is afoot is now settling in across the city.

"People are afraid," said Deborah L. Younger, executive director of a group called Detroit Local Initiatives Support Corporation that is working to revitalize five areas of the city. "When you read that neighborhoods may no longer exist, that sends fear."

Though the will to downsize has arrived, the way to do it is unclear and fraught with problems.

Politically explosive decisions must be made about which neighborhoods should be bulldozed and which improved. Hundreds of millions of federal dollars will be needed to buy land, raze buildings and relocate residents, since this financially desperate city does not have the means to do it on its own. It isn't known how many people in the mostly black, blue-collar city might be uprooted, but it could be thousands. Some won't go willingly.

"I like the way things are right here," said David Hardin, 60, whose bungalow is one of three occupied homes on a block with dozens of empty lots near what is commonly known as City Airport. He has lived there since 1976, when every home on the street was occupied, and said he enjoys the peace and quiet.

For much of the 20th century, Detroit was an industrial powerhouse the city that put the nation on wheels. Factory workers lived in neighborhoods of simple single- and two-story homes and walked to work. But then the plants began to close one by one. The riots of 1967 accelerated an exodus of whites to the suburbs, and many middle-class blacks followed.

Thousands of empty houses

Now, a city of nearly 2 million in the 1950s has declined to less than half that number. On some blocks, only one or two occupied houses remain, surrounded by trash-strewn lots and vacant, burned-out homes. Scavengers have stripped anything of value from empty buildings. According to one recent estimate, Detroit has 33,500 empty houses and 91,000 vacant residential lots.

Several other declining industrial cities, such as Youngstown, Ohio, have also accepted downsizing. Since 2005, Youngstown has been tearing down a few hundred houses a year. But Detroit's plans dwarf that effort. The approximately 40 square miles of vacant property in Detroit is larger than the entire city of Youngstown.

Faced with a $300 million budget deficit and a dwindling tax base, Bing argues that the city can't continue to pay for police patrols, fire protection and other services for all areas.

Looking to Washington for support

The current plan would demolish about 10,000 houses and empty buildings in three years and pump new investment into stronger neighborhoods. In the neighborhoods that would be cleared, the city would offer to relocate residents or buy them out. The city could use tax foreclosure to claim abandoned property and invoke eminent domain for those who refuse to leave, much as cities now do for freeway projects.

The mayor has begun lobbying Washington for support, and last month Detroit was awarded $40.8 million for renewal work. The federally funded Detroit Housing Commission supports Bing's plan.

"It takes a true partnership, because we don't want to invest in a neighborhood that the city is not going to invest in," said Eugene E. Jones, executive director of the commission.

Recipe for disaster?

It is not known who might get the cleared land, but with prospects for recruiting industry slim, planners are considering agricultural uses. The city might offer larger tracts for sale or lease, or turn over smaller pieces to community organizations to use.

Maggie DeSantis, a board member of Community Development Advocates of Detroit, said she worries that shutting down neighborhoods without having new uses ready is a "recipe for disaster" that will invite crime and illegal dumping. The group recently proposed such things as the creation of suburban-style neighborhoods and nature parks.

Residents like Hardin want to keep their neighborhoods and eliminate the blight.

"We just try to keep it up," he said. "I've been doing it since I got it, so I don't look at nobody trying to help me do anything."

For others, Bing's plans could represent a way out.

Willie Mae Pickens has lived in her near east-side home since the 1960s and has watched as friends and neighbors left. Her house is the only one standing on her side of the street.

"They can buy it today. Any day," said Pickens, 87, referring to city officials. "I'll get whatever they'll give me for it, because I want to leave."

This is one of the smartest ideas I've ever heard for biting the bullet and doing what needs to be done. It's just unfortunate that so many federal dollars will be sought for the project, at a time when the federal government doesn't have any money to spare. A better way to accomplish the project, in my opinion, would be to simply offer the land to anyone who was willing to contract to clear it, maintain it, and exploit it (say, with agriculture) for a specified period of time -- five years or so. It would be a similar arrangement to the homesteading laws of the mid-1800s.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago
It sounds practical (astonishingly as far as government goes) and this was certainly an interesting read, but this is the exercise of eminent domain laws on steroids, which is my only apprehension. I personally do not think the city (should have) has a right to seize someone else's property against their will, even with "just compensation". If you have one house on the block that houses someone that doesn't want to move no matter what, leave their house alone. Turn everything else around them into farmland, leave a basic road behind (dirt if you need to), but otherwise leave them alone.

I understand the problems for the city emergency services in such a scenario, but sooner or later they'll have this problem anyways... New houses will be built on farmland, new structures will be raised to provide the more basic goods, and they'll still need a police/fire presence.
Formo
14 years ago

It sounds practical (astonishingly as far as government goes) and this was certainly an interesting read, but this is the exercise of eminent domain laws on steroids, which is my only apprehension. I personally do not think the city (should have) has a right to seize someone else's property against their will, even with "just compensation". If you have one house on the block that houses someone that doesn't want to move no matter what, leave their house alone. Turn everything else around them into farmland, leave a basic road behind (dirt if you need to), but otherwise leave them alone.

"Porforis" wrote:

Yes!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I just now noticed Porforis' discussion of eminent domain. I quite agree with him. Most of these neighborhoods that will be razed are all but abandoned and can be simply foreclosed for failure to pay taxes, and most of the remaining homeowners will be glad to leave their neighborhoods if they're given a reasonable price (bearing in mind that for a while last year, the average price of a home in Detroit was $5800!). However, if someone stubbornly refuses to leave their property, even knowing full well that they will probably lose water, sewer, and trash service, then I do not believe it would be appropriate to evict them. If they want to hold onto their homes and live in rural conditions, that is their choice. Of course, if they want to hold onto the amenities of urban or suburban living, they will have to relocate into a more developed area.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

I just now noticed Porforis' discussion of eminent domain. I quite agree with him. Most of these neighborhoods that will be razed are all but abandoned and can be simply foreclosed for failure to pay taxes, and most of the remaining homeowners will be glad to leave their neighborhoods if they're given a reasonable price (bearing in mind that for a while last year, the average price of a home in Detroit was $5800!). However, if someone stubbornly refuses to leave their property, even knowing full well that they will probably lose water, sewer, and trash service, then I do not believe it would be appropriate to evict them. If they want to hold onto their homes and live in rural conditions, that is their choice. Of course, if they want to hold onto the amenities of urban or suburban living, they will have to relocate into a more developed area.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Exactly.. which is why I agree with Porforis as well.

Bottom line is this: They still have the choice. Myself? I don't get wrapped up in houses/things. So, if I'm offered something reasonable, then hell yes, I'd take it.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Wow, I never realised Detroit was in such a state of disrepair.
blank
Porforis
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I didn't immediately consider basic services like water/sewer/trash as well, this obviously makes things harder on the people left behind... Really, there's no good solution here. I guess that's life, if it were full of problems with solutions that didn't suck, life wouldn't be so complicated.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I think the only way this plan could possibly be implemented as a practical solution would be to discontinue municipal services to the condemned neighborhoods. No one forces the property owners to remain: if they wish to live an Amish-like lifestyle, why not let them?
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago

I think the only way this plan could possibly be implemented as a practical solution would be to discontinue municipal services to the condemned neighborhoods. No one forces the property owners to remain: if they wish to live an Amish-like lifestyle, why not let them?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Oh boy, can of worms has been opened. Now we're talking about your basic left-right argument over what you're entitled to. Although this is certainly a lot more of a sticky situation when the government is taking away existing services rather than not providing new services.

I'm glad I don't live in Detroit. :pukeright:
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Actually, such an argument will be neatly sidestepped with the implementation of eminent domain: services will be discontinued by virtue of the simple fact no houses will remain in the neighborhoods. We are speaking from a purely philosophical standpoint in this thread, of course.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.