Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
For all those clamoring to get the Collins deal done.. this is what you want to hear... I would suspect that they are getting closer to a deal.

Not that he was going anywhere.. but this assures it.

It also, in my opinion is a great sign that Collins intends on being present for the offseason workouts.

Major coup for the Packers and this defense...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87114157.html 

Collins signs his tender
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

March 9, 2010 10:30 a.m. |(16) Comments

In the first sign that safety NIck Collins and the Green Bay Packers may be moving toward a long-term contract agreement, Collins has signed his restricted free agent tender, according to his agent, Alan Herman.

In what Herman called a good faith gesture aimed at kindling negotiations, Collins took himself off the free agent market by signing the one-year, $3.3 million offer.

Reached Tuesday morning, Herman reiterated comments he made to the Journal Sentinel at the scouting combine last month that he was optimistic the two sides could reach a deal soon. Though he wouldn't characterize an agreement with the Packers as imminent, he said he felt Collins' gesture could provide the impetus to get a deal done.

"Based on the tender Nick received and based on Nick's desire to stay with the Packers and to take part in the off-season program, which is something he really wanted to do, he elected to sign the tender," Herman said. "Nick really likes it in Green Bay and wants to stay there. Hopefully, this will help us finalize a deal as we move forward."

There is nothing for Collins to gain financially in signing the tender because all of the salary is dependent on him making the team. If everything stays the same, he wouldn't receive a paycheck until the first week of the regular season.

Despite that fact, Collins and his agents, Herman and Dave Butz, felt signing the tender would express to the Packers how serious they were about negotiating a long-term deal. Collins has been pursuing a long-term contract since the end of the 2008 season after he made the Pro Bowl for the first time.

The Packers put the highest tender on Collins, which means an interested team would have to compensate the Packers with first- and third-round draft choices if it signed him and the offer wasn't matched. That effectively took Collins out of the market.

From that standpoint, signing the tender isn't a big deal. But most restricted free agents in Collins' position don't sign the tender because being unsigned is the only leverage they have in negotiations. Being unsigned pretty much assures that they won't take part in any off-season workout programs and won't be on the field for the mandatory mini-camp.

It's obvious that Collins would not have signed the tender if he didn't think the Packers were also serious about getting a deal done. Herman said he didn't think it would take that long for the two sides to hammer out a contract that would be satisfactory to both sides once they get heavy into negotiations.

"We hope to get things moving as free agency moves forward over the next week or so," Herman said.

Collins, 26, was elected a Pro Bowl starter this year -- his second straight Pro Bowl selection -- after a stellar year in which he finished fifth in the NFL in interceptions with six. Over a two-year period, he has 13 interceptions, including three he has returned for touchdowns.

Collins expected to be eligible for unrestricted free agency this year, but when NFL owners exercised an option to renegotiate the collective bargaining agreement, the salary cap was removed and free agency requirements went from four years to six years of experience.

Collins just finished his fifth season in the NFL He was a second-round pick in 2005.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Collins is a good dude, a hell of a safety, and we fans are lucky to have him. Pay the man, Teddy.
blank
doddpower
14 years ago

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Collins is a good dude, a hell of a safety, and we fans are lucky to have him. Pay the man, Teddy.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

I look forward to seeing this dude locked up in Green and Gold for the next 4-5 years.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
The only criticism I offer about Collins is I think he has a weakness on the communication side of the game.. in other words.. hell of an instinctive player with excellent range... but I think we need to pair him with an effective communicator with a high football IQ in the back end of this defense.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
British
14 years ago
What I love about him is his speed. Freakishly fast.

If we can get a good safety in the draft (there a number to choose from) and bump Bigby down to #3 that should really help us out.

It's a pass happy league and having guys like Giadano and Bush at Safety is not pretty.
UserPostedImage
Since69
14 years ago
Nice. This is good news.

I like PFT's  take:

"The move is even more surprising because it comes at a time when many believe that restricted free agents will refuse to sign their tender offers to protest the fact that the rules of the uncapped year prevented so many of them from becoming unrestricted free agents. To the extent, then, that the RFAs wanted to set up an informal picket line, Collins just crossed it."
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
Ted Thompson has a philosophy of building through the draft and holding onto his core players. Both components are key in the building process.

He did lose Kampman but he was a fish out of water in this defense and an unfortunate casualty of the switch to the 3-4 and his injury status didn't help him.

You saw him pick up Clifton, tag Pickett, and now it seems they are closer with Collins.

With so many players affected by the extension in the RFA class and all the moving parts on the current roster what he is doing, especially considering the strength of the upcoming draft, is staying disciplined.

Ted is very close to putting together a roster that will be among the best in the league for the next four or five years. He need not blow it by fiscally shooting himself in the foot. It's not just about having the money now but how much will it cost next year and years after to hold onto guys that are key components to the team that will be gone if we can't compete for them.

Ted realizes there are teams in a more desperate mode willing to pay players to save their skins. He doesn't have to and shouldn't play their game. I don't see teams signing guys that will "put them over the top" but see teams with coaches and GM's who will be out of work if they don't get something going making the moves so far.

Relax. Our day to shine will come in April.
"The train is leaving the station."
BDota
14 years ago
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-Collins-says-lets-make-a-deal.html&team=115 

That sure didnt take very long.

Green Bay Packers safety Nick Collins has signed the qualifying offer he received as a restricted free agent last week, hopefully kicking into gear what will be positive negotiations toward a longterm contract.

The move prevents Collins from shopping himself to other teams, which he could have done until April 15. Hes now signed to play in 2010 for $3.3 million, but has made it known hed like a multi-year extension. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel qualified the move as a good faith gesture aimed at getting a deal done.

"Based on the tender Nick received and based on Nick's desire to stay with the Packers and to take part in the off-season program, which is something he really wanted to do, he elected to sign the tender," Collins agent Alan Herman told Silverstein. "Nick really likes it in Green Bay and wants to stay there. Hopefully, this will help us finalize a deal as we move forward."

Collins was unlikely to draw attention from other teams as an RFA because the Packers put the highest tender possible on him, calling for first- and third-round draft picks if they declined to match an offer sheet. The two-time Pro Bowl performer has put the ball in the court of the Packers.

"We hope to get things moving as free agency moves forward over the next week or so," Herman said.

Follow me on Twitter: BradBiggs

Maybe this means they're getting closer to a long term deal.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Ted Thompson has a philosophy of building through the draft and holding onto his core players. Both components are key in the building process.

He did lose Kampman but he was a fish out of water in this defense and an unfortunate casualty of the switch to the 3-4 and his injury status didn't help him.

You saw him pick up Clifton, tag Pickett, and now it seems they are closer with Collins.

With so many players affected by the extension in the RFA class and all the moving parts on the current roster what he is doing, especially considering the strength of the upcoming draft, is staying disciplined.

Ted is very close to putting together a roster that will be among the best in the league for the next four or five years. He need not blow it by fiscally shooting himself in the foot. It's not just about having the money now but how much will it cost next year and years after to hold onto guys that are key components to the team that will be gone if we can't compete for them.

Ted realizes there are teams in a more desperate mode willing to pay players to save their skins. He doesn't have to and shouldn't play their game. I don't see teams signing guys that will "put them over the top" but see teams with coaches and GM's who will be out of work if they don't get something going making the moves so far.

Relax. Our day to shine will come in April.

"warhawk" wrote:

Just a question, with no animosity or anything behind it: Do we, overall, seem terribly not relaxed? Granted, there are a couple clamoring about every FA that hits the newswires, but overall I think the fan base is just biding its time and discussing what's out there. I only ask because there's always a post in any of these threads telling everyone to relax, and I don't see a lot of people freaking out - talking about it, sure - but as stated earlier, there's not a hell of a lot more to talk about at the moment.

As to Collins, my contention is that there's fiscal responsibility (and Thompson has shown he has this in spades) and then there's doing right by your player. When Collins makes a good faith move like signing his tender (and thereby dropping any leverage he might have to wield in terms of getting his long-term deal), I would like to see the team do right by him in return. I know it's silly and old-fashioned, but I guess I'm just fool enough to think the Packers should always be a little bit that way. Dude's played pro-bowl level for two seasons at a minimum and has been a good soldier throughout - I just think he's earned his paycheck.
blank
millertime
14 years ago
His tackling really improved this year allowing him to become a complete player. Pay the man.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.