Zero2Cool
14 years ago

The first objective is always to score a TD, thought that was common knowledge here.

"pack93z" wrote:

In most aspects it is... however common practice in OT once in a high percentage range was to kick the field goal with downs remaining in case some went wrong or to avoid turnover. I think we will see a decrease in that behavior.

I guess I read your argument differently.. thanks for coloring a picture. ;)

UserPostedImage

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes sir e bobbi. I don't think anyone is going to kick a FG on 1st, 2nd or 3rd down, well, maybe 3rd down in case of a bad snap, but surely not 1st or 2nd.

mmmmhhmmm pictures!!
UserPostedImage
nathaniel
14 years ago
I'll be the first to admit that I don't have my own proposal for a better OT system, but I think this new rule is garbage, mainly because they claim they are changing the rule in the name of "fairness". There is nothing fair about football. Unless they have plans to eliminate home field advantage, especially in the playoffs, and any other advantage a team has then they can't claim anything in the name of "fairness". Teams rarely have the same number of possessions in regulation, and the actual time of possession is usually completely favoring one team over the other. So why not change that? Have innings instead of quarters, that way each team has an equal amount of attempts for points. It's only fair.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
It's funny you should mention that, because I was going to say that I think the sport that has it exactly right, when it comes to overtime, is baseball. When you go into extra innings, the game continues on exactly as it has before; no rule changes, no coin toss, no fuss. Both teams get a chance to score, and if at the end of the extra inning, the score is still tied, the game continues as before.

The problem for football is that if an exact analogue of this system were implemented, it would mean playing an entire quarter every time a game went into overtime. If the game were still tied at the end of the extra quarter, yet another quarter would be played. The question would then be raised: how is possession determined in overtime? I see three possibilities: 1) The game continues exactly where it left off, as it does at the beginning of the second and fourth quarters. 2) Possession reverts back to the team who received the opening kickoff in the first quarter (i.e., you open the quarter with a kickoff). 3) You flip a coin for it, essentially starting a new game. I think I would favor the first option, but if an entire quarter were to be played anyway, it wouldn't be all that important.

At the very least, both teams should receive a kickoff. The current rule is so strained: "Well, if a team recovers its own onside kick, the game reverts to sudden death, because both teams had a chance to touch the ball, right?" I hate sudden death.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have my own proposal for a better OT system, but I think this new rule is garbage, mainly because they claim they are changing the rule in the name of "fairness". There is nothing fair about football. Unless they have plans to eliminate home field advantage, especially in the playoffs, and any other advantage a team has then they can't claim anything in the name of "fairness". Teams rarely have the same number of possessions in regulation, and the actual time of possession is usually completely favoring one team over the other. So why not change that? Have innings instead of quarters, that way each team has an equal amount of attempts for points. It's only fair.

"nathaniel" wrote:

Either you are joking or I cannot follow your logic at all. Do you really believe that fairness has nothing to do with football? I don't get that at all. You mention time of possession. That's not determined by a coin flip, it's determined by which team does a better job of maintaining possession of the ball.

I think this thread is proof that a lot of people mistrust any kind of change, not matter how reasonable.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I forgot to add that I'm completely comfortable with ties happening in the NFL. I don't know why the league is so averse to them.

Obviously, ties must be eliminated in the postseason, but I see no reason to eliminate them in the regular season.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

I forgot to add that I'm completely comfortable with ties happening in the NFL. I don't know why the league is so averse to them.

Obviously, ties must be eliminated in the postseason, but I see no reason to eliminate them in the regular season.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The league is averse to ties because fans are averse to them. I think you are in the minority here. There are few sports in which ties are accepted by a majority of fans, and football is definitely not one of them. Actually, in most sports, ties are by definition impossible.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Why are fans so averse to ties?
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Why are fans so averse to ties?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

We want to see a victor. Me personally??? I could care less to watch a good game.. I want to see a team SLAUGHTER the other. Perferably my team doing the slaughtering.. But anyway, I plain want to see a clear cut winner.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Slaughters are boring. There is no drama to them. Why would I pay a bunch of my hard-earned money to watch the functional equivalent of half or three-quarters of a game?
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

Slaughters are boring. There is no drama to them. Why would I pay a bunch of my hard-earned money to watch the functional equivalent of half or three-quarters of a game?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It's different, I think, between people who watch as fans of the game and people who watch as former players of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed a challenge as a player.. But as long as I was winning, perferably in slaughterhouse fashion, I enjoyed it more.

Of course, that's just my neanderthal thinking.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (10h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (11h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (14h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (14h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.