Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

Visions of footballs flying through the air must give Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers nightmares.

The defense held its own last season except against top-flight quarterbacks. If theres an Achilles heel on this team, its pass defense, which got shredded by Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner. Thats one area that needs shoring up through the draft, which is just 18 days away.

Here is a ranking of the Packers by position, in order of greatest need:

Outside linebacker The best way to improve the pass defense is to sack, hit and pressure opposing quarterbacks. The Packers have one bona fide rusher at right outside linebacker in Clay Matthews. They desperately need another one on the left side to complement him.

Cornerback The second-best way to improve pass defense is to establish a strong and deep secondary. The Packers have a solid foundation with all-world Charles Woodson, and Tramon Williams continues to improve. But injuries to Al Harris, Will Blackmon and Pat Lee decimated the position and left the Packers vulnerable. More depth is needed, especially as Woodson and Harris age.

Tackle Re-signing veterans Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher bought the Packers some time but with a draft deep in quality tackles, now is the time to build for the future.

Safety Nick Collins provides a Pro Bowl presence, but Atari Bigby has endured two years of injuries and ineffectiveness, and the depth chart drops off quickly after that.

Special teams The Packers have ignored the crucial punter and kickoff return positions for too long. The time has come to stop talking about the importance of special teams and do something about it.

Defensive end Cullen Jenkins is in the final year of his contract, so the Packers must assess his value. If they dont want to shell out big bucks to keep him, they will need a replacement. Johnny Jolly has over-achieved but must overcome legal issues, while Justin Harrell gets one last chance to shed his bust label.

Running back The Packers can get by with what they have, and Ahman Green makes for a nice contingency plan, but what a difference a dynamic third-down back could make.

Tight end Jermichael Finley will make the Pro Bowl if he keeps his head on straight, but more depth wouldnt hurt.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is tough as nails and survived 51 sacks last season, while Matt Flynn could prove to be a capable backup. But it would be wise to begin grooming a capable third quarterback.

Center Scott Wells proved himself worthy last season, and Jason Spitz isnt a bad backup plan if things dont work out for him at guard.

Guard Josh Sitton is solid on the right side, and the left side will pit Daryn Colledge vs. Spitz in a winner-take-all training camp war. T.J. Lang is waiting in the wings and provides adequate depth.

Inside linebacker Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brandon Chillar form a highly paid, highly efficient presence in the middle of the defense, with Desmond Bishop champing at the bit to join them.

Receiver Weve been waiting for Donald Drivers decline for years, but it hasnt happened because the man plays with a huge heart. Once again, Driver and Greg Jennings will provide explosiveness and production and will get plenty of support from James Jones and Jordy Nelson.

Nose tackle Ryan Pickett received a well-deserved new contract and along with B.J. Raji forms the best 1-2 nose tackle punch in the NFL.

UserPostedImage
gijoe82
14 years ago
I have said it before if Ted Thompson is anything it aint predictable. My guess is we trade out of the 1st. Then something wacky like picking a Center or Nose tackle.
blank
Packers_Finland
14 years ago

I have said it before if Ted Thompson is anything it aint predictable. My guess is we trade out of the 1st. Then something wacky like picking a Center or Nose tackle.

"gijoe82" wrote:

Nah, we get two early second round picks and draft Colt McCoy and Brandon LaFell. Ow, saying that hurts my brain.
This is a placeholder
Dulak
14 years ago
I agree partly with the article -
but what I dont agree with is ...

TE position is too high ranked should be practically at the bottom. Lee, finley, and havner ...
I see QB as a bit higher - flynn isnt that good. We need to groom someone up to be a good backup.

If all these CBs getting better from their injuries we will be inudated at that position ie not sure how they will handle that.

I like that the OLB is first - IMO thats a must.
Pack93z
14 years ago
I have said it about 15 - 20 times.. IMO, the greatest need we have on the defensive side is a high football IQ safety that can communicate the adjustments effectively..

I think more importantly to the defense.. we have to find a poignant leader of that group.. but I highly doubt that any rookie can come in and become that this year...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RaiderPride
14 years ago
My wish list is pretty much on line with this article.

One thing I reall would love to see is for the Pakers to find a very special return man. Especially after I watched the Packers Superbowl win over the Pats yesterday.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
go.pack.go.
14 years ago

Nose tackle Ryan Pickett received a well-deserved new contract and along with B.J. Raji forms the best 1-2 nose tackle punch in the NFL.

This got me excited...
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I agree mostly of what he said, except I don't think there's a place in the NFL any more for 3 QBs. Fill your 53rd spot with something you actually use. If your #1 and #2 QBs go down anyways, season's over. You might as well just pick up someone off the street.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
tromadz
14 years ago
He listed QB a greater need than DT?

Don't get me wrong, I love our DTs(so does he apparently) but...getting a QB is the last thing we should do. Yeah get someone to back up Rodgers(even though I think Flynn could be a good guy to do that) but how about get players that will actually play, like backup DTs,etc.

Draft is approaching, it snuck up on me, and I liked it.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Screw backing up Rodgers. Seriously. Don't even waste a pick on that. Absolute last need.

OLB, CB, S, T, get BPA of those for our first pick.

STs need to be addressed too, but pass defense (including the pass rush) and OL are our primary concerns. I'd be very happy if we didn't draft a QB, WR, and RB this draft.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

7h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.