Rockmolder
14 years ago

Filed to ESPN: Donovan McNabb has been traded to the Washington Redskins. Compensation still unknown. But McNabb's a Redskin.

"Adam Schefter" wrote:

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/11613372960 

Dhazer already said it in the shout.

There has to be one hell of a compensation from the Redskins' side for the Eagles to trade him inside their own division.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Filed to ESPN: Mcnabb to Redskins for 2nd-rd pick this year and either a 3 or 4 next year depending on certain conditions.

"Adam Schefter" wrote:

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/11613918268 
RainX
14 years ago
One less avenue for the Vikings to address their QB situation if Favre retires.
blank
yooperfan
14 years ago
I simply can't believe they traded him within their division.
There is alot of crazy things happening in the NFL these days
porky88
14 years ago
Not shocked Washington was interested. Shocked Philadelphia would make the move, but the more you read, the more it actually seemed like Philly was serious about sending McNabb to a place he wanted to go.

I for one would've sent him to Oakland for their second round pick. Maybe I'm not as sympathetic as Andy Reid, but that would've been the best business move.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
This trade takes the Redskins out of the race for Clausen. Just like the Seahawks etc. got out of it before by trading for a QB. This is getting pretty scary if you look at the Vikings and their future at QB....

The teams with pick 1 to 6 don't need a QB. Holmgren "wished he liked Clausen more". Al Davis has gone mad some time ago and I'm still putting my money on him going with JaMarcus and drafting a physical freak. The Bills, reportedly, would like to see what their QBs could do when they can stand in the pocket for more than 2 seconds. I think that the Jags still like Garrard and that they would like to see what he can do if he actually has a weapon.

Of course, the Browns and Bills could just be putting up some screens.

Then you have the 49ers at 13 and 17, but no other team between 10 and 26 needs a QB. He could be falling far. And the Vikings could be in prime position to trade up into the early 20s if he does make it past the 49ers.

It happened to Rodgers and Quinn pretty recently. You never know.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I would love to see Clausen in the Packers fold as a backup. A nice insurance policy were Rodgers to go down, and mammoth trade bait down the road.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Eagles send McNabb to Redskins 
AP

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer Rob Maaddi, Ap Sports Writer 9 mins ago

[img_r]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100405/capt.67c64e4dae16415bbabd575e1e40cfdf-67c64e4dae16415bbabd575e1e40cfdf-0.jpg?x=213&y=277&xc=1&yc=1&wc=315&hc=409&q=85&sig=cAL6qV7R4YDOWEmxKs1pxw--[/img_r]PHILADELPHIA Donovan McNabb is changing uniforms and staying in the NFC East.

The Philadelphia Eagles traded McNabb to the Washington Redskins for a pair of draft picks Sunday night. The Eagles will receive a second-round pick (37th overall) in this month in the NFL draft and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year.

"Donovan McNabb was more than a franchise quarterback for this team," Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie said. "He truly embodied all of the attributes of a great quarterback and of a great person. He has been an excellent representative of this organization and the entire National Football League both on and off the field. I look forward to honoring him as one of the greatest Eagles of all-time and hopefully see him enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton one day."

The trade is the boldest move to date for new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and could spell the end in Washington for Jason Campbell, the starter for 3 1/2 seasons. Shanahan already has signed free-agent Rex Grossman as a backup and has been actively scouting the top quarterbacks available in the draft, when the Redskins will have the No. 4 overall pick.

"I'm really excited about my future with the Washington Redskins," McNabb said in a statement. "I'm eager to work with Coach Shanahan. He's been a very successful coach with a couple of Super Bowl victories on his resume. While it's been my goal to win a Super Bowl in Philadelphia, we came up short. I enjoyed my 11 years here and we shared a lot more good times than bad."

Shanahan can only hope the 33-year-old McNabb works out as well as the last big-time Washington-Philadelphia quarterback deal. The Eagles in 1964 sent Sonny Jurgensen to the Redskins, where he played 11 seasons until he was 40 and became a Hall of Famer.

"These people never learn," Jurgensen told the Redskins' Web site when informed of the trade Sunday night.

Trading McNabb to a division opponent could haunt Philadelphia for years, and fans already are questioning the decision.

"We thought this was the best for Donovan and the compensation was right," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "We surely took into consideration Donovan's feelings."

McNabb is entering the final year of a contract and it's unknown whether he is negotiating an extension with the Redskins. Reid said the possibility McNabb could refuse to go to another team or decline to extend his contract was not a factor.

"Donovan would've played anywhere because that's the kind of person he is," Reid said. "He's happy to be there."

McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback, led the Eagles to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl in 11 seasons in Philadelphia. His failure to lead the team to its first NFL championship since 1960 plus the emergence of Kevin Kolb made him expendable.

McNabb, the No. 2 overall pick in the 1999 draft, leaves as the franchise leader in yards passing (32,873), completions (2,801), attempts (4,746), completion percentage (59.0) and touchdown passes (216). He also rushed for 3,249 yards and 28 TDs.

Kolb, who has started two games in three seasons, becomes the starter. Michael Vick is the backup. Both have one year remaining on their contracts.

"This was a very tough decision," Reid said. "Donovan McNabb represented everything a football player could be during his 11 seasons in Philadelphia. He carried this organization to new heights and set a high standard of excellence both on and off the field. We thank him for everything he did for this football team and for this city."

McNabb threw for 3,553 yards and 22 touchdowns with 10 interceptions in 14 games last season, leading the Eagles to the playoffs. His passer rating of 92.9 was the third-highest in his career.

But McNabb played poorly in a loss to Dallas in Week 17 that cost Philadelphia a division title and a first-round bye. He also struggled in a loss to the Cowboys the following week in the wild-card game.

Reid said immediately after the season that McNabb would return in 2010. Reid repeated that several times throughout the offseason until acknowledging last month the team was listening to offers for all three of its QBs.

McNabb then issued a statement saying he wished to remain with the Eagles, but understood the situation and hoped for a quick resolution.

"Donovan is the ultimate professional," Eagles president Joe Banner said. "He has an incredible work ethic and has been an integral part of our success. Over the years, Donovan has always carried himself with a great deal of dignity. He's an excellent role model for young men and women from across the region. In my mind, he'll always be remembered as one of the greatest Eagles of all time."

The Redskins waited until late in the evening to announce the trade and did not make Shanahan available for comment.

"Donovan is an accomplished quarterback who has been a proven winner in the National Football League," the coach said in a statement released by the team. "I have long admired his competitiveness and feel he will be an outstanding addition to the Redskins and our community. He knows our division and the roadmap to success in the NFC East."

ESPN.com was the first to report that McNabb had been dealt to Washington.

The Eagles were 92-49-1 in regular-season games that McNabb started and 9-7 in the playoffs.

McNabb overcame numerous injuries and controversies throughout his career, including criticism from Rush Limbaugh and a feud with former teammate Terrell Owens.

The former Syracuse star sustained injuries that ended his regular season in November in 2002, 2005 and 2006. McNabb missed a total of 24 games because of injuries. The Eagles were 14-10 in those games.

McNabb is the latest veteran to depart Philadelphia this offseason. Longtime starting cornerback Sheldon Brown was traded to Cleveland on Friday. Former All-Pro running back Brian Westbrook, former All-Pro guard Shawn Andrews, linebacker Will Witherspoon, defensive end Darren Howard and wide receiver Kevin Curtis were released.

___

AP Sports Writer Joseph White in Washington contributed to this report.

The Reuters version of the store can be found here .

I'm still fairly stunned by this. How many other six-time Pro Bowl quarterbacks who have taken their teams to five NFC championships in 11 years are considered expendable? The thing that scares me for McNabb is that in Washington, he'll have no one to block for him. We all know he has a history of season-ending injuries; I can see this trend continuing in Washington, unless the Redskins trade Campbell for some quality offensive-line help.

This is quite the coup for the Redskins overall. Not only did they get the star quarterback from their hated division rival, they also kept their first-round pick!

The question now becomes, what happens to Jason Campbell? Could he be bound for the NFC North?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I would love to see Clausen in the Packers fold as a backup. A nice insurance policy were Rodgers to go down, and mammoth trade bait down the road.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I think that he'll bring the most value on draft day. Not after that. Someone would actually have to see him play and see that he's an elite QB before throwing picks at him. It's not often that your HC or FO personel becomes GM or HC on another team and trades for your back-up with potential.

If he's there, though, I'd be all for drafting down. Even if it's with the Vikings. As long as we get a good amount of picks in return.

I can see a team getting a little anxious about other teams jumping on him if he's actually still there at 23. The Vikings could try to... leapfrog... the Cardinals.

And that's asuming that the Patriots won't pick him.

If we could get the Vikes' picks in the first two rounds and a 1st next year, for instance, I wouldn't mind a trade at all. You might make a divisional opponent a little stronger, but we're the winners in that trade.

And next to that, I'm not that sold on the 23rd pick. Brown, Veldheer and Capers all have one thing in common. They're projects. We could get either Capers or Veldheer in the 2nd. Kindle, Hughes, Graham, Griffen etc. I don't mind which one we'd get. And one of those guys is bound to be there at 30.

Some wild speculation. And I'm going way off topic.

McNabb to Redskins... Good deal for the 'Skins. Their defense was never really the problem. If they can now add a LT with the 4th overall pick and maybe get some help at DE/OLB in the 3rd, 4th etc. They could actually turn things around quite fast.

The Eagles think that they have an Aaron Rodgers in Kevin Kolb according to NFL.com. I'll have to see that first. I'm not that sold on him being as great a QB as they're making him out to be. If he is, though, both teams win. If he isn't, the Eagles screwed themselves over.

In that case, the fanbase gets what it deserves, but I can't help but feel a little bad for Andy Reid.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Eagles dealing McNabb to Redskins speaks volumes about QB 
April 4, 2010
By Clark Judge

The shock isn't that Philadelphia traded Donovan McNabb, its quarterback the past 11 seasons and the face of the franchise for the past decade. Nope, the shock was where Philadelphia sent him.

That would be the Washington Redskins, a club within the Eagles' division and a club that plays Philadelphia twice a year.

Talk about a gamble. You don't send players of McNabb's magnitude to places where they can hurt you ... unless, of course, you don't think they can hurt you. And I have to believe that's what's going on here.

Look, McNabb is a perfect fit for Mike Shanahan's offense in Washington, is coming off a season where he led the Eagles to another playoff appearance and was a favorite of coach Andy Reid. So why would the Eagles give him to a competitor, especially when they know he'll make at least one appearance a year in Philadelphia, where loyalties to McNabb run deep?

"They must know something," answered one NFC personnel director.

I'll second that. The Eagles could have sent him anywhere, but they chose Washington -- and they chose to make a deal nearly three weeks before the draft, which is a little surprising considering they might have gained more had they waited.

But they didn't wait, and they didn't hesitate to send him within the NFC East.

"It's a risk," said the personnel director. "He gets to play the Eagles twice a year, and if he beats them [fans] will run Andy [Reid] out of town."

[img_r]http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img13158366.jpg[/img_r]Of course, that never intimidated Reid or the Eagles before. In 2002, they cut their leading tackler, Jeremiah Trotter, after he became entangled in a contract squabble with the team. Trotter signed with the Redskins, and Philadelphia never blinked. So what happened? The Eagles beat Washington all four times in Trotter's two years there.

They cut their top wide receiver, Terrell Owens, in 2006 after he, too, became embroiled in a contract controversy and wound up getting suspended in 2005. Owens signed on with Dallas, another of the Eagles' rivals in the NFC East, and, once again, it didn't impair the Eagles. They were 4-2 against the Cowboys in Owens' three years there, reached the playoffs as many times (2) as Dallas and went 3-2 in the postseason -- reaching the conference championship game in 2008.

Dallas did not win a playoff game with Owens.

Anyway, the point is this: If Philadelphia thought McNabb had something special left, it probably wouldn't have given him up ... and it definitely wouldn't have given him up to a division rival. McNabb has been a terrific quarterback for the Eagles, steering them to five conference championship games in eight years, but injuries and age have combined to reduce his effectiveness -- and if you don't believe me rewind the videotape to the Eagles' last two losses to Dallas in 2009.

One head coach last week told me he thought one reason the Eagles were so willing to part with McNabb is that Reid wanted to move in a different direction and try a true West Coast offense, with the more accurate Kevin Kolb a better fit.

And maybe he's right. But Kolb is inexperienced, unless you consider two starts last season an experience. He threw for more than 300 yards in both games, and was 1-1. Then he sat down. The Eagles were 10-4 with McNabb and reached the playoffs for the eighth time in the last 10 seasons.

So Kolb is a relative unknown ... except to the Eagles coaching staff, which made him its first pick of the 2007 draft and watched him practice the past three seasons.

As our personnel director said: The Eagles must know something.

At some point they had to move on without McNabb, and they figured now was the best time. McNabb turns 34 in November. He enters the last year of his contract. The Eagles were not going to extend his deal. And they had Kolb waiting in the wings and a proven veteran, Michael Vick, behind him.

Granted, nobody knows what Vick has to offer anymore, but the Eagles certainly know what they had in McNabb. That they were willing to trade him now tells you they believe they've gone as far as they can with him. That they were willing to trade him to Washington tells you they believe he cannot and will not put the Redskins over the top.

More than that, though, it tells you the Eagles aren't afraid of facing McNabb twice a year, and only Reid and his coaching staff know why. All I know is they didn't hesitate to send him there, which defies all reason ... unless they don't fear the prospect of facing him.

And they must not.

That doesn't mean they're right.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (4h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (20h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (20h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (23h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.