Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Teaching sex ed in schools I would think would have less stress on the child, parents and probably more effective overall in learning about it.

It is the parents job to re-enforce those teaching and demand abstinence.

What a crock of nonsense. IMO.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/90020507.html 

DA tells schools to drop sex ed, or teachers could be charged

By Patrick Marley of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: April 6, 2010 2:12 p.m. |(75) Comments

Madison A district attorney is telling Juneau County schools to abandon their sex education courses, saying a new curriculum law could lead to criminal charges against teachers for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Starting in the fall, the new law requires schools that have sex education programs to tell students how to use condoms and other contraceptives. Juneau County District Attorney Scott Southworth said such education encourages sex among children, which is illegal, and could lead to charges against teachers.

The new law "promotes the sexualization - and sexual assault - of our children," Southworth wrote in a March 24 letter to officials within five school districts. He urged the districts to suspend their sex education programs and transfer their anatomy curriculum to a science course until the legislature changes the law.

"Forcing our schools to instruct children on how to utilize contraceptives encourages our children to engage in sexual behavior, whether as a victim or an offender," he wrote. "It is akin to teaching children about alcohol use, then instructing them on how to make mixed alcoholic drinks."

Rep. Kelda Helen Roys (D-Madison), who helped write the new law, said Southworth's letter was irresponsible and that it was laughable to think teachers could be charged for telling students how to use contraception.

"Using condoms isn't a crime for anyone," she said. "This guy is not a credible legal source on this matter, I'm sorry to say. His purpose is to intimidate and create enough panic in the minds of school administrators that they'll turn their backs on young people and their families."

She said the legislature passed the law on comprehensive sex education because it is the most effective way to change sexual behavior and reduce teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

Caught in the middle are schools, said Tom Andres, superintendent of the New Lisbon School District.

"Here we are again - short of money, getting a dictate that we have to do something different from two different sources," he said.

Andres said district officials are studying Southworth's letter and will consider it in the coming months as they decide what to do.

"The challenge with it is as soon as you start discussions with this issue, the morality aspect, the spiritual aspect . . . the family aspect has to be weighed," he said. "We don't sit here and condone premature sexual behavior, yet it's a societal reality. So how do we deal with it?"

Southworth, a Republican, said in his letter he may charge teachers with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, depending on the specifics of cases that come to him.

"If a teacher instructs any student aged 16 or younger how to utilize contraceptives under circumstances where the teacher knows the child is engaging in sexual activity with another child - or even where the 'natural and probable consequences' of the teacher's instruction is to cause that child to engage in sexual intercourse with a child - that teacher can be charged under this statute" of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, he wrote.

He said the law went too far because it required teachers not to teach students about the effects of birth control, but on how to properly use them, "which turns objective instruction into implicit encouragement and advocacy."

The new law was approved by the Assembly in November and Senate in January. All Republicans voted against it. Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, signed it in February.

The law requires schools that have sex education courses to teach students how to use birth control and prevent sexually transmitted disease. It bars abstinence-only programs.

Under the new law, parents can remove their children from sex education classes, as they could before. Schools also would be allowed to not offer sex education, but they would have to notify parents they did not offer such courses.

Southworth's letter said the law undermines parental authority and requires schools to condone controversial sexual behavior because they have to teach students about gender stereotypes. That would likely require schools to teach students about homosexuality and transgender and transsexual people, he said.

He said the law prevents teachers from telling students "that sexual promiscuity is even wrong" and would conflict with most students' and teachers' religious beliefs.

He said he also was troubled by a provision of the law that allows schools to permit sex education to be provided by "volunteer health care providers." He said that could lead to instruction from Planned Parenthood, which provides contraception and abortions and lobbied for the new Wisconsin law.

Students "should not be subjected to pandering by 'volunteers' from local contraception businesses whose real interest is likely obtaining new, young customers," he wrote.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
"Whether as a victim or an offender." Bah . . . he should be castrated for that phrase alone.

I had to stop reading at that point, or I would have issued forth with a stream of vitriol that would have gotten me banned. It boggles my mind that such a primitive attitude toward sex still exists in our legal system.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
Im 38 and I still remember the sex ed stuff I had in school - ie I think they did a good job with all these scary pics of STDs and info about aids and then lots of discussion about teenage pregnancy.

make a kid think twice ...
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Spend a day with one of my girls, that'll cure you of your urges REALLY quick.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
I thought it was an option? If so, why is this even in the system?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
MontanaBob
14 years ago
Jeez, and I thought Montana had dumb-ass DA's.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Wow. Can we join the 21st century in this country yet? My God. We're more sexually backwards than the Brits. 😞
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (3h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (8h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (10h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (10h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (13h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (13h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (13h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (14h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (14h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.