all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
^ DH, let's turn the clock back to Favre entering his prime... would you trade him?
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

LoL Rock :P

To answer your question Yes I would trade Rodgers, You maybe giving up a very good qb but then again if you don't think the trade would be worth it you need to take off the homer glasses.

Think about it your giving up a very good qb but he can be replaced and majorly improve your team. Think of it we would have what 4 picks in the first 46? Also you package the 3rd and our 4th and get back into the 2nd round. You basically could get 5 starters for one player. Now anyone that wouldn't be willing to do that I think would be foolish.

Trade the #1 overall to someone that wants Bradford and collect maybe a 1st and 2nd and then you get even more value.

But thats just me remember one guy don't make a team and if I could get 4 or 5 young starters I would do it.

I'm not knocking Rodgers because yes I think he is a very good qb but hell If I had to make that call I would accept it faster than a girl losing her prom dress on prom night and before they could change their minds.

"dhazer" wrote:

The Bears gave up more for Cutler than just a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

First of all, we're not getting enough for Rodgers, regardless of how replacable he is. Even you have to agree that Rodgers is a top 10 QB. At his age, you don't move a top 10 QB for anything less than two 1st rounders.

Secondly, QB is not a position that's easily replacable. Sorgi and Painter didn't get that Colts offense anywhere. You have to have one hell of a supporting cast to cover up for having a bad QB. Just look at the kind of talent that Cassel was surrounded with in '08. He had the last year of that elite offense and defense in New England and he couldn't get them to the play-offs.

And I don't know how your math works, but we get 3 picks, you say that we could use a 3rd and a 4th to trade up to the 2nd and we somehow get 5 starters out of the trade?

Lastly, trading back out of that 1st overall pick will be really hard. And if we succeed, our starter will be either Matt Flynn or Kyle Boller, in this scenario.

Franchise QBs never get traded. And that's not because other teams aren't interested. You just don't trade them. The Broncos where in a horrible position with Cutler and they got two 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton.

And let's be honest, Cutler's a good young QB, even borderline great in Denver, but he's never approached Rodgers' efficiency and play.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I wouldn't mind trading for Roethlisberger to be our veteran backup. He's certainly serviceable.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

First of all, we're not getting enough for Rodgers, regardless of how replacable he is.

And I don't know how your math works, but we get 3 picks, you say that we could use a 3rd and a 4th to trade up to the 2nd and we somehow get 5 starters out of the trade?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I wanted to draw these points out with my question above, but you've cut to the point and I agree with you.

You'd have to replace Rodgers with one who you could start year in and year out. DH makes no mention of how to go about replacing him.

And then all of a sudden 3-4 more top 100 picks make us better, when you are missing someone adequate (at least) at QB? That's like saying the Vikings would be just as good if they did not have Favre at QB.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Aaron Rodgers may be the best NFL quarterback in history to have fans openly (and dispassionately!) speculating about his value on the trade market while he is performing at a high level and before he has shown the slightest hint of character flaws on or off the field. It's quite remarkable.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

It's quite remarkable.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You're being too modest. If I really said what I'd wanted to about people actually okay with trading Rodgers... I'm pretty sure I'd be taking some time off from the site.

You. Don't. Trade. Potential. Hall. Of. Fame. Quarterbacks. (unless a breaking point comes)

Yes, I'm willing to call Rodgers a potential HOF QB this early in his career. I was sold on him after the Carolina game in the 08-09 season.

Dude is special.
dhazer
14 years ago

To answer your question Yes I would trade Rodgers, You maybe giving up a very good qb but then again if you don't think the trade would be worth it you need to take off the homer glasses.

Think about it your giving up a very good qb but he can be replaced and majorly improve your team. Think of it we would have what 4 picks in the first 46? Also you package the 3rd and our 4th and get back into the 2nd round. You basically could get 5 starters for one player. Now anyone that wouldn't be willing to do that I think would be foolish.

Trade the #1 overall to someone that wants Bradford and collect maybe a 1st and 2nd and then you get even more value.

But thats just me remember one guy don't make a team and if I could get 4 or 5 young starters I would do it.

I'm not knocking Rodgers because yes I think he is a very good qb but hell If I had to make that call I would accept it faster than a girl losing her prom dress on prom night and before they could change their minds.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

First of all, we're not getting enough for Rodgers, regardless of how replacable he is. Even you have to agree that Rodgers is a top 10 QB. At his age, you don't move a top 10 QB for anything less than two 1st rounders.

Secondly, QB is not a position that's easily replacable. Sorgi and Painter didn't get that Colts offense anywhere. You have to have one hell of a supporting cast to cover up for having a bad QB. Just look at the kind of talent that Cassel was surrounded with in '08. He had the last year of that elite offense and defense in New England and he couldn't get them to the play-offs.

Lastly, trading back out of that 1st overall pick will be really hard. And if we succeed, our starter will be either Matt Flynn or Kyle Boller, in this scenario.

Franchise QBs never get traded. And that's not because other teams aren't interested. You just don't trade them. The Broncos where in a horrible position with Cutler and they got two 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton.

And let's be honest, Cutler's a good young QB, even borderline great in Denver, but he's never approached Rodgers' efficiency and play.

"dhazer" wrote:

First off about the 4 or 5 starters and how we get them last time I checked we still had our 23rd pick and our 2nd so now thats 4 picks in the first 46.

Even at #1 we could take Suh and then at 23 we select Mays and with the 1st pick in the 2nd we take Clausen or McCoy and with our 2nd we select a CB or an OT.

Build up our defense and then as history has shown our QB doesnt have to be a superstar right away.

I'm just being objective here with the so called very deep draft this would be the time to do it.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
GermanGilbert
14 years ago

I wouldn't mind trading for Roethlisberger to be our veteran backup. He's certainly serviceable.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

you wouldn't mind trading a 1st overall and a future first for a servicable backup? 😉 i would really like to have roethlisberger as a backup, too, it won't happen, though, plain and simple. this guy is an adequate starter in the nfl, but he's absolutely not worth the price this rumor indicates. it's all about the price.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

First off about the 4 or 5 starters and how we get them last time I checked we still had our 23rd pick and our 2nd so now thats 4 picks in the first 46.

Even at #1 we could take Suh and then at 23 we select Mays and with the 1st pick in the 2nd we take Clausen or McCoy and with our 2nd we select a CB or an OT.

Build up our defense and then as history has shown our QB doesnt have to be a superstar right away.

I'm just being objective here with the so called very deep draft this would be the time to do it.

"dhazer" wrote:

I thought that you meant that we'd get 5 starters in return for the trade. You're right, we would have 5 picks in the first 65 selections.

Teams that didn't have a superstar QB still had a pretty potent offense. Whether it be with QBs having career years (Brad Johnson) or great RBs (Jamal Lewis). And Dilfer didn't play like a slouch that year, either.

For that to succeed, though, you're going to need an absolutely dominant defense. It's possible, but it's a lot harder to get. It's actually a pretty dumb thing to do when you have a franchise QB who can lead you there, already.

Would Suh, Mays, McCoy and 2 more players in the 2nd really make up for giving up Rodgers? Suh's amazing, I couldn't agree more, but he can't make the impact that a QB can all by himself. Taylor "R. Williams" Mays surely won't lead our defense to greatness.

And then McCoy. You take a huge gamble by taking a QB with a pretty weak arm in the 2nd. The best to come out of the 2nd round recently? Tarvaris Jackson, Chad Henne and Kevin Kolb.

I don't care how deep this draft is, you don't just trade away your franchise QB.

If the trade looks anything like the Herschel Walker trade, I might not laugh at the team that calls me.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
But that still doesn't answer the question of could we bring in a quarterback who would give us statistically significant improved production? My answer is no. There are only a handful of candidates to consider: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and perhaps Philip Rivers (whom I had hoped the Packers would draft). Tom Brady we can dismiss out of hand, as except for one season, he's never been a statistical dynamo. Philip Rivers' statistics have been only marginally better than Rodgers', with Rodgers having thrown 209 more yards over the past two seasons and Rivers having thrown 2 more TDs. In the end, the scale tips in favor of Rodgers, who has 8 more rushing TDs over the past two seasons and thus has scored 6 more TDs than Rivers.

Peyton Manning is an intriguing prospect, as he's averaged over 4000 yards and nearly 30 touchdowns every season since he came in the league; however, he's in his mid-30s, and it's questionable how much longer he can maintain his level of performance. Moreover, his statistics over the past two seasons have been uncannily similar to Rodgers', having thrown for 30 more total passing yards and 2 more passing touchdowns than Rodgers. Add in Rodgers' 9 rushing TDs, though, and he actually exceeds Manning's scoring output by 35 points.

That leaves Brees, who has had a mind-boggling couple of seasons, outthrowing Rodgers by an incredible 985 yards and tossing 10 more touchdowns. Add in their rushing TDs, though, and Brees only has 3 more TDs total.

So I say again: Whom could we bring in that would significantly improve our offense? And if the trade won't do that, what's the point?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (17h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (19h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.