Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Updated: April 15, 2010, 2:31 PM ET
Eye black messages, wedge blocks out

ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- Eye black with messages and wedge blocks will be banned from college football this fall, and taunting in the field of play will start costing teams points in 2011.

On Thursday, the NCAA's playing rules oversight panel approved the three rules changes.

The eye black trend grew in popularity because of Heisman Trophy winners Reggie Bush and Tim Tebow.

Bush wrote "619" on his eye-black patches, in reference to the area code for his hometown near San Diego, and Tebow cited Bible passages, such as "John 3:16."

One year after the NFL banned wedge blocking on kickoffs because of safety concerns, the NCAA followed the lead. The new rule says that when the team receiving a kickoff has more than two players standing within 2 yards of one another, shoulder to shoulder, it will be assessed a 15-yard penalty -- even if there is no contact between the teams.

[img_r]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0415/ncf_i_ttebow1_300.jpg[/img_r]The reason: NCAA studies have shown that 20 percent of all injuries occurring on kickoffs result in concussions.

"Everybody is looking to make sure we have a safe environment for the players," said Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association. "On kickoffs, you have a lot of steam on both sides and you usually have what is called a 'wedge buster.' This will eliminate some of that."

The hope is it will reduce concussions, an issue that has received greater attention in the past year.

The NCAA deemed it so important that it made a rare rules change in an off-year of the normal two-year process.

But it's the taunting rule that likely will create the biggest buzz.

Currently, players who are penalized for taunting on their way to the end zone draw a 15-yard penalty on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

"I think one of the reasons it's been looked at is that when a penalty occurs on the field, it's normally taken from the spot," Teaff said. "This was the only occurrence that it wasn't taken from the spot, so they wanted to change that."

Taunting has caused an annual debate among college football players, coaches and fans, and last season's big controversy stemmed from Georgia receiver A.J. Green receiving a 15-year personal foul penalty after he caught a go-ahead touchdown pass late in a game against LSU.

The yardage from the penalty was assessed on the kickoff and helped LSU get into position to drive for the winning score. Southeastern Conference officials said later that there was no video evidence to support the flag on Green.

"The rules committee voted unanimously on this. Let's keep the lid on sportsmanship and prevent that type of demeaning," said Dave Parry, the NCAA's national coordinator of college football officiating. "I recall a play a few years ago where a player turned around at the 10 and teased the opponent with the ball. In the past this would be a penalty assessed on the extra point or kickoffs. Now, it's no touchdown."

Parry said the decision to implement the rule in 2011 gives players and coaches ample advance warning.

"This gives the players a year's notice that we're going to be tougher on sportsmanship. Last year it was mentioned that this could become a possibility," Parry said.

He also predicted the penalty would be called "very rarely."

"If it's close to diving into the end zone, most likely it would be ruled that the act ended while in the end zone. We'll be lenient," Parry said. "It's really if it's really bad, for example, if a guy flips the bird at the 10 or high-steps backwards into the end zone or starts a forward roll at the 3-yard line."

ESPN college football reporter Joe Schad and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago
Interesting..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
14 years ago
Great.. just what the game of football needs... more very subjective rulings on whether something is a taunt or not.. top that with removing anything resembling individualism from the players.. these are college kids.. allow them to be kids.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The very fact that they're going to be "lenient" shows how unnecessary this is. How does an official decide if the offense is egregious enough to warrant stripping the score? I dislike highstepping as much as the next guy, but does it seriously deserve a loss of score?
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
Taking points off the score board if a "KID IN COLLEGE" gets too excited is freaking anal.

I agree with Nonstop, as almost always.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
zombieslayer
14 years ago

The very fact that they're going to be "lenient" shows how unnecessary this is. How does an official decide if the offense is egregious enough to warrant stripping the score? I dislike highstepping as much as the next guy, but does it seriously deserve a loss of score?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I don't dislike highstepping, nor do I dislike showboating.

I saw a Chinese play years ago and it had an American in China, and the Chinese guy was trying to be more "American" while the American was trying to be more Chinese. One thing the Chinese guy was trying to get past was humility. He was really trying hard to be boastful like an American.

That side of American culture is dying. We're becoming too humble.

I've always liked playing sports with show offs. Made me try harder. Just like losing makes me try harder. And losing teaches you the hard way what you did wrong.

Plus, there's nothing like beating someone who's been trash talking the entire game. Makes victory that much more pleasurable.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Porforis
14 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

This rule can obviously be a positive thing, or a negative thing. It's an entirely subjective penalty, just like a hold... We'll have to wait and see what kind of "performances" draw these fouls.
IronMan
14 years ago
Roger Goodell hates touchdown celebrations. Other things he hates:

-Ice Cream
-Puppies
-Happiness
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

I don't dislike highstepping, nor do I dislike showboating.

I saw a Chinese play years ago and it had an American in China, and the Chinese guy was trying to be more "American" while the American was trying to be more Chinese. One thing the Chinese guy was trying to get past was humility. He was really trying hard to be boastful like an American.

That side of American culture is dying. We're becoming too humble.

I've always liked playing sports with show offs. Made me try harder. Just like losing makes me try harder. And losing teaches you the hard way what you did wrong.

Plus, there's nothing like beating someone who's been trash talking the entire game. Makes victory that much more pleasurable.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I'm on the other side. I've never liked "me me me"-ing in sport, especially in a team sport. I understand how exuberance can get the better of one, but I've always admired those who treated their achievements the way Barry Sanders did: beat the other guy by being better, and then just give the ball to the official until the next time.

That said, I hate the idea that the powers-that-be, who strike me as nothing more than a combination of PR flacks and beancounters, solve every problem by turning it into a lawyer's argument.

I don't think we're any more humble as a country than we used to be. The problem is that we've re-channeled our arrogance into useless forms. We think we can regulate and plan and control others because of our superiority. Instead of putting our superiority to real tests. We've become a nation of trial lawyers and rulemakers...instead of being a nation of farmers and shopkeepers and entrepreneurs.

Its the difference between Willie Davis and Deion Sanders when they were playing. Both had amazing talents. One acted like a man and a citizen. The other acted like an asshole.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
In my opinion, people can do whatever they want on the field when it comes to celebrations, as long as it's not offensive or affect the playing field or another player.

If I were making 5 million a year playing the greatest sport in the world, scored a touchdown with thousands of fans screaming, hell yeah I would lose my mind a little. But instead, these kinds of rules would force me to hand the ball to the ref and act like I don't care that what I'm doing is fucking awesome.
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (3h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (18h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (18h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (22h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.