Cal2GreenBay
14 years ago
I remember on this forum when everyone doubted Aaron.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/18/SPGHIBR9F41.DTL&hw=aaron+rodgers&sn=010&sc=386 

This article on his pro day was interesting. I wish he would still use
the high ball carry.
================================================

If Cal quarterback Aaron Rodgers was a vindictive sort, he could have stood up after his 40-minute workout at Memorial Stadium on Thursday and said, "Take that, Alex Smith!"

A day after Utah quarterback Smith reportedly missed three throws in 80 passes at his workout for NFL teams in Salt Lake City, Rodgers threw one bad pass in 92 attempts in Berkeley. The two quarterbacks are vying to be the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft on April 23.

The owners of the pick, the 49ers, seemed impressed with Rodgers, who threw to two wide receivers, a tight end and a running back during a workout seen by at least seven NFL teams. The 49ers contingent was comprised of coach Mike Nolan, offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, director of personnel Scot McCloughan and quarterbacks coach Jim Hostler.

"He is as polished as I've seen," Nolan said after attending both workouts and watching several other quarterbacks on tape.

In fact, Nolan touted Rodgers as a more complete quarterback than Jeff Tedford proteges Joey Harrington (Lions) and former Bengals quarterback Akili Smith.

Those players, along with Houston quarterback David Carr and Baltimore quarterback Kyle Boller, were all coached by Cal's Tedford at one time. None of those players has reached stardom in the NFL, which has become a question mark against Rodgers.

"You can't lump Aaron in with anybody else," Tedford protested. "They are all individuals. He's very mature and very mentally tough."

Rodgers has been quizzed about Tedford's influence on him and the aforementioned quarterbacks many times by prospective teams.

"I really don't believe in the Tedford curse," Rodgers said. "It's been mentioned by a few teams, the Packers in particular."

In evaluating a quarterback, Nolan focuses on mental attributes more than physical characteristics. The 49ers have devised a list of 10 criteria in which to evaluate a quarterback and seven deal with the mental aspect. That's why Nolan took Rodgers to lunch after Thursday's workout.

"You can talk about arm this, move the pocket to the left, move to the right," Nolan said. "What guy is going to lead 10 guys down the field and stick it in the end zone to win a game?"

Tedford believes that's where Rodgers excels, citing his 21 straight completions in the near upset of top-ranked USC last season in Los Angeles. Also, when Cal's receivers were injured during the season, Tedford started using the running game more, and Rodgers accepted the switch graciously.

Another criticism of Rodgers is his mobility. But Rodgers looked plenty nimble, rolling out to his left and right and making accurate throws. "He's mobile enough," Nolan said.

Smith appears to be more of a gamble, because his mechanics aren't as sound and he's coming from a pass-happy offense that primarily used the shotgun formation.

However, Smith is taller (6-foot-4 compared to Rodgers' 6-1) and runs more. While their 40-yard dash times were comparable at last month's combine, Smith was faster in the cone drills.

"I think I bring more to the table than anyone out there," Smith told the Salt Lake City Tribune.

Rodgers has the advantage of coming from a West Coast-style offense.

"Being from Northern California, I would love to be with the 49ers," the Chico native said. "I followed them growing up."

E-mail Kevin Lynch at klynch@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page D - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/18/SPGHIBR9F41.DTL&hw=aaron+rodgers&sn=010&sc=386#ixzz0lxAS262I 
blank
Cal2GreenBay
14 years ago
It's funny how Aaron was blaming the Packers for believing in the Jeff Tedford curse. How funny things turn out.
blank
Stevetarded
14 years ago

"I really don't believe in the Tedford curse," Rodgers said. "It's been mentioned by a few teams, the Packers in particular."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/18/SPGHIBR9F41.DTL&hw=aaron+rodgers&sn=010&sc=386#ixzz0lxAS262I 

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

I thought this was interesting because I remembered reading something on rotoworld yesterday that sounded similar

"According to Yahoo Sports' Charles Robinson, concerns have surfaced about Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga's work ethic.
An offensive lineman, from Iowa, who doesn't work hard? These are rare. Bulaga, whose stock seems to be slipping rapidly on the day of the draft after most projections had him as a shoe-in top-nine pick, may be the victim of pre-draft misinformation. We very much doubt that he'll get out of the top 13."

something to think about...
blank
GermanGilbert
14 years ago

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

that was definitely the smokescreen of the last decade. well done, teddy :thumbright:
blank
fudge-packer
14 years ago
😃 all u can do is smile
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

Everyone huh? How about you take me off ignore and read what I said about the kid? K, thanks.

There's many who felt he'd be good.

My line on Rodgers from day one was ... he'll win us more games than he'll cost us. Meaning, I felt he would be good, but not great and also wouldn't make foolish throws to cost us a game.

He's proven to be great so far, statistically speaking. I think he's going to improve.
UserPostedImage
Cal2GreenBay
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Everyone huh? How about you take me off ignore and read what I said about the kid? K, thanks.

My line on Rodgers from day one was ... he'll win us more games than he'll cost us. Meaning, I felt he would be good, but not great and also wouldn't make foolish throws to cost us a game.

He's proven to be great so far, statistically speaking. I think he's going to improve.

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

WHOOPS...sorry ZERO....let me rephrase.

Nobody except Zero and myself believed in Aaron.
blank
RaiderPride
14 years ago

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

WHOOPS...sorry ZERO....let me rephrase.

Nobody except Zero and myself believed in Aaron.

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

It is sick to leave Trom and I off the list. Infact we both said he would be great.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
dhazer
14 years ago
I was the one that always bashing him 😛 But I didn't know my name was everyone lol
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
If Rodgers can turn Da Haze around, he'll convert anyone.

Rodgers has mentioned in subsequent interviews that he's normally not as cocky as his pre-draft and during draft comments made him appear, that it was mostly just boasting as potential draft picks do.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

18m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

24m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.