Zero2Cool
14 years ago

[align=center]Mike Neal | Defensive End | Purdue | 6'3" - 294 lbs.[/align] 

OVERVIEW
After three years of patiently waiting for his opportunity, Neal showed the coaching staff why they heavily recruited him. One of the top prep defensive ends in the nation, the once 245-pound freshman developed into a a rock-solid defensive tackle who has been one of the bright spots on the team since moving into the lineup two years ago.

Since taking over left defensive tackle duties, Neal registered 11.0 of his 13.0 career quarterback sacks and 21.5 of the 26 tackles for loss he recorded during his Boilermaker career. By far the team's strongest player, he commanded constant double-team coverage on almost every snap.

Regarded by many as the strongest and most dominant defensive lineman to wear a Boilermakers uniform since Jeff Zgonina in 1992, he holds several team weight records, boasting a 510-pound bench press, a 615-pound squat, a 385-pound clean.

According to Purdue head coach Danny Hope, "Michael Neal can be a great player, not only at his position, but in this league," Hope says. "I think he'll be a premier defensive tackle, maybe the best defensive tackle that's played at Purdue since Zgonina (the Big Ten defensive player of the year in 1992 and a 15-year NFL veteran)."

At Merrillville High School, Neal was rated the nation's 29th-best strong-side defensive end and the sixth-best overall prospect in the state of Indiana, according to Rivals.com. Prep Football Report rated him the 56th overall prospect in the Midwest region while College Football News ranked him 33rd.

As a senior, Neal recorded 59 tackles, including 24 for loss and 12 sacks, with 20 pressures, six pass break-ups and one blocked kick, earning All-State honors. He also collected 49 tackles, with four sacks, 14 stops behind the line of scrimmage, three pass deflections and one fumble recovery as junior. In addition to football, he also lettered in basketball.

Neal enrolled at Purdue in 2005, spending his first season competing with the scout team while retaining freshman eligibility. He used that time to develop physically, adding close to 25 pounds to his frame before his first varsity season. Arriving in 2006 fall camp at 270 pounds, he saw limited action in nine games as a reserve defensive tackle, finishing with nine tackles (8 solos), including one for a loss.

In 2007, Neal played an important role in the front line's rotation. In his reserve left defensive tackle position, he notched 22 tackles. He also delivered a pair of sacks to go with 3.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

The junior defensive tackle claimed a starting job on the left side in 2008. With his frame now carrying 293 pounds, Neal was too much for isolated blockers to contain. He was credited with 33 tackles (18 solos), and a third of them came in the opposing backfields. He ranked second on the team with 5.5 sacks, the 10th-best figure in the Big Ten Conference. He also placed third on the squad with ten stops for loss.

Neal continued to fill out his frame, which maxed out at 302 pounds during his senior year. He earned All-Big Ten Conference honorable mention and was named Purdue's defensive captain. He registered 35 tackles (20 solos) that included 11.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

CAREER NOTES
Neal started 23 of his final 24 games at Purdue and played in a total of 46 games during his career...Recorded 99 tackles (56 solos) with 13.0 sacks for minus 76 yards and 26.0 stops for losses totaling 105 yards...Recovered two fumbles, caused another and deflected a pair of passes...Holds the school position records with a 510-pound bench press, a 615-pound squat, a 385-pound clean...Tied Gary Hrivnak (1970-72) and Landon Johnson (2000-03) for 20th place on the school career-record list with his 26.0 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

2009 SEASON
Super Sleeper Team selection by The NFL Draft Report and listed as the most underrated defensive tackle in the Midwest by that scouting information service... Received the team's Hammer Award (outstanding hitter) and served as squad co-captain... Started all 12 games at left defensive tackle... Recorded a career-best 35 tackles (20 solos), as he ranked second on the team and tenth in the conference with 5.5 sacks for minus 25 yards... Was second on the squad and 14th in the Big Ten with 11.5 stops for losses of 38 yards... Broke up two passes, recovered two fumbles and caused another... Part of a defense that yielded 173.42 yards rushing and 376.58 yards in total offense per game... Led a front wall that ranked 22nd in the nation in quarterback sacks generated (2.67 pg).

2008 SEASON
Appeared in all 12 games, starting 11 at left defensive tackle, coming off the bench vs. Ohio State... Registered 33 tackles (18 solos), ranking second on the team and 10th in the Big Ten Conference with 5.5 sacks for minus 39 yards... Finished third on the team and 15th in the league with 10.0 stops for losses of 51 yards.

2007 SEASON
Played in all 13 games behind Ryan Baker at left defensive tackle, recording 22 tackles (10 solos) with two sacks for minus 12 yards and 3.5 stops for losses of 14 yards... His first career sack came vs. Toledo and his second was vs. Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl.

2006 SEASON
Appeared in nine games as reserve defensive tackle, producing nine tackles (8 solos) with a stop for a 2-yard loss and a pass deflection.

2005 SEASON
Red-shirted as a freshman.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.89 in the 40-yard dash... 1.70 10-yard dash... 2.84 20-yard dash... 4.55 20-yard shuttle... 7.56 three-cone drill... 33-inch vertical jump... 9'5" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 31 times... 510-pound bench press... 615-pound squat... 385-pound power clean... 33 1/2-inch arm length... 10 1/4-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Merrillville (Ind.) High School, playing football for head coach Jeff Yelton... Rated the nation's 29th-best strong-side defensive end and the sixth-best overall prospect in the state of Indiana, according to Rivals.com... Prep Football Report rated him the 56th overall prospect in the Midwest region while College Football News ranked him 33rd... As a senior, Neal recorded 59 tackles, including 24 for loss and 12 sacks, with 20 pressures, six pass break-ups and one blocked kick, earning All-State honors... Collected 49 tackles, with four sacks, 14 stops behind the line of scrimmage, three pass deflections and one fumble recovery as junior...Also lettered in basketball.

PERSONAL
Health and Fitness major... Father, Michael, played football at Weber State... Born Michael Jamel Neal... Resides in Merrillville, Indiana..

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
14 years ago
confused by this pick...someone explain it
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Will provide good depth. He is EXTREMELY strong and demands the double team. Hopefully he makes the transition to the NFL.

I hope he works out. Could this mean the end of Justin Harrell?
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
I'm wondering if this is insurance in case Johnny Jolly ends up in the crow bar hotel.
Rios39
14 years ago
I like this one. Can never have enough D Line. He's a prototypical DE in a 3-4. Kind of has a Chris Canty type build. Will probably eat up 2 blocks all game.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

I'm wondering if this is insurance in case Johnny Jolly ends up in the crow bar hotel.

"yooperfan" wrote:

It's insurance in case Jolly and Cullen Jenkins leave after next season (both are FAs).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
He's a guy with some amazing upside. Huge potential.

I don't mind the pick. We have a solid line going into the season with the guys we have, which gives this kid some time to get used to the system and the NFL. He might not've had the elite production, but he surely has the elite potential.

I'm not too worried about his slight character issues or taking plays off. It's something you can work on. Get into his head. If anyone will take care of that, it's Mike Trgovac.

Jolly and Jenkins are both in contract years, as well, and this might be the succesor of one of those two...
digsthepack
14 years ago
Strong, physical player...given the "Hammer Award" at Purdue for hardest hitter on defense. Ted Thompson is building the neighborhood bully of defenses.

Plus, as men tioned earlier, insurance for Jolly and Jenkins becoming FAs next year.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
DakotaT
14 years ago
I just feel bad for Dhazer that we passed on Golden Tate too.

Jolly, Pickett, Jenkins with Raji and "the Hammer" Neal; sounds like some pretty nice rotation. I wonder if Bustin is ever going to get out of the tub?

Barnett, Hawk, and Chiller should be pretty happy about that rotation.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
After Jenkins and Jolly, all we have at DE is part-timer B.J. Raji and second-year guy Darius Wynn. We needed another one. Neal looks like a prototypical 3-4 DE. I don't mind the pick.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.