zombieslayer
14 years ago
Before the draft began, Ted Thompson said that one of his goals of the '10 draft was to get four players, which means four players who will eventually start. I sincerely believe that that was one of TT's goals of the 2010 draft (with Ted, you have to read between the lines as he's not a fan of telling reporters too much).

So, did he succeed?

I have a feeling that he'll fall one short. We'll see though. Hope I'm wrong.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
I don't recall Thompson actually saying he wanted 4 starter; I believe that was something Arrigo posted...? Anyways, I'm going to take a shot at this with the expectation we get 4 players who contribute something this year...

You'd think Bulaga and Burnett are sure to get some playing time this year. That Darren Perry outright said it is very possible that Burnett starts is telling, IMO. Plus, Cliffy will get injured at some point.

One player who I think is going under the radar is TE Andrew Quarless. I've yet to read one comment from a scout that questions whether this kid has the talent to make it. All of them wonder if he can stay out of trouble. Seeing Coach McAdoo work really well to mature a very young Finley, I'll take my chances and say Quarless will be a player. (FYI, Imagine for a second two guys in Finley and Quarless who are 6-5, run less than 4.6 40, and have some WR ability to them.... can you imagine the dominance if Quarless pans out? *drools*)

That leaves one spot. You think one of the two DEs (2nd round pick Neal, at least) would be of use. I mean come on, we were basically using a miscast 4-3 DE in Montgomery and an in-over-his-head rookie in Wynn at times. You think having Neal, at least, would mean some sort of rotation so your two starting Ends don't play about 80% of the snaps.

I think there is definitely room for four players to emerge from this class and contribute at least a little. The more I read about RB James Stark, the more it seems to me that he'll have a legit chance to stick.

But this drapth goes very, very far in securing our depth. That can't be understated.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
14 years ago

But this drapth goes very, very far in securing our depth. That can't be understated.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

It really can't. Last year we had multiple injuries at CB so everyone wanted to be reactive and pick up players there (I know, aging CBs also are a concern), but that could happen at any position in 2010. Depth is so important.

I think Bulaga, Burnett, Quarless, Starks and a DE will stick.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Arrigo did post that rumor. However, when we were in the chat during the draft, Zero posted several links of Ted Thompson speaking. I'm too lazy to go back and find where he said it, but in one of those links, I specifically remember hearing him say the 4 players.

If Quarless pushes out Lee, that would make him the 2nd TE and would love to see 2 TE threats as that causes red zone nightmares for opposing Ds. Yeah, I heard he's got troubles in the past but he swears it's in his past and he's matured. I hope he's right. The other thing is I read reports that he needs to work on his blocking. That will come with time. Unfortunately, I have doubts with our coaching staff when it comes to developing good blockers. :(

Yes, one of the DEs should get time, and that leaves Stark who considering 3 things - he scores TDs, he catches, and he can return; he should make the team.

But I think the 4 meant 4 eventual starters. Grant will be with us for awhile as long as we limit his carries (as we should). Buluga may start as early as '10, but definitely in '11. Quarless may be a stud, but the chance of him starting before Finley are remote unless Finley goes down (knock on wood). That leaves the two DL and the extra OT.

So, we'll see. I don't think we get 4 eventual starters with this draft. That said, I think it was a good draft as we addressed issues.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Bulaga, Burnett, I see both of them starting sooner than the others.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Alright. I just had my coffee.

I noticed I forgot Burnett.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
I cant see neal missing out on games either ... we didnt have the greatest rotation in our Dline and adding neal and wilson will give us some choices and possible rests to jolly and jenkins.

I see us using 4 of these guys ... ie just not sure they would be starters.
bulaga and burnett are the only guys I possibly see as starting and neal if jolly gets suspended for a few games.
doddpower
14 years ago
I hope we keep both Jenkins and Jolly, but if we don't keep one of them I could see Neal becoming a starter above the other (hopefully) in a few years. Ted HAD to see something special in this guy.

That will leave us with Bulaga, Burnette, and Neal as potential future starters. Beyond that, I'm not so sure. Unless one of the other guys becomes a huge surprise, they might just be depth. But that's not so bad either, especially if they are actually GOOD depth, like Starks.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
From the footage I've seen of him (yes, I know they only show the good stuff), I think Starks will be a starter in a couple of years, though perhaps not for the Packers.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
No

but I don't think that was ever the intention. I think the goal was to get deeper along the defensive and offensive lines, which he did.
Fan Shout
dhazer (2h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (3h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (19h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (22h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heโ€™s been told he wonโ€™t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.