Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
ESPN.com's blog - NFC North draft analysis 

Riskiest move

Minnesota has sentenced itself to at least one more year of long-term uncertainty at the most important position in sports. This might not have been the best quarterback class of all time, but as we discussed earlier this month, you can't get a hit if you won't take the bat off your shoulder. At some point, you've got to take a cut.

(And I'm sorry. Taking UAB quarterback Joe Webb at the bottom of the sixth round doesn't count. Webb is probably going to be moved to receiver. That's more like having a wild pitch hit your bat in self-defense: There's no intent. OK, enough baseball references for one day.)

We're expecting Brett Favre to return in 2010. And even if he retires, I doubt the Vikings would have replaced him with a rookie quarterback this season. But the two quarterbacks on the roster, Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, looked unprepared for the job in training camp before Favre signed last summer. It's hard to believe that either player projects as the Vikings' long-term starter.

It takes some time to develop a young starter, and the Vikings keep pushing back their timetable. They've been patching the position together for five years, dating to the career-alerting injury Daunte Culpepper suffered in 2005.

I guess there's always next year.

"Kevin Seifert" wrote:

Ugh. Here we go..

The biggest problem I have with this post (BTW, I didn't quote the entire article, just one part of it) is how he said that neither T-Jack or Sage looked prepared for the job in training camp last year. Really? You really believe that, Kevin?! Because, what I saw was T-Jack having his BEST training camp (and to add to that, he also had his best preseason, too). Looked to me he was more than ready to take the starting position prior to the Favre signing. I'm not saying he would have had a great or even a good year. I'm saying he looked prepared.

Also, I love how he ignored the Vikings press conference after the draft where they said Joe Webb was going to be switching to the WR spot. Uhh.. Yeah Kevin, the Viking's plans for Webb is NOT as a QB project.

What people need to understand is that if the Vikings don't have a feel for the QBs available to them in the draft, chances are they aren't going to draft them. Even if it's a position of need. Yeah, they let the bat sit on their shoulder, but it's pretty stupid to swing when you don't see the ball. From what I gathered, the Vikings weren't even remotely interested in Clausen. I don't know why, and time will tell if they were justified in the uninterest. Besides, I was under the impression that the QB draft class this year was pretty mediocre. Next year is supposed to be far superior, according to the scouting geeks. We'll see.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
dfosterf
14 years ago
I agree.

I have heard that many felt that Sage had a better camp than T-Jack, but T-Jack was kept ahead of him due to wanting to "shop" him, but I don't know that...

Personally, this QB class looked below average. I did like that kid from Fordham, but certainly am not calling him an answer...just someone worth a pick and a shot. Other than that, I got no beef with the Vikes not taking one in this draft.

Besides, I hear a former number 1 pick is soon to hit the market, and he would LOVE to be in Minnesota---He hears you guys have a unique philosophy on work ethic needed for the position. :tongue3:

OK, kidding---I look at it this way... The Vikes will probably wind up taking a different path than the usual for their next QB--- So what? The traditional way isn't all that hot... You might have to pay a little more, but chances are decent you will have a whole lot better idea on whether the prospect sucks or not, and it will probably be on someone else's nickel in the sense that they developed the kid.

I wouldn't say the Vikes have given up on Tavaris, either. The fact that we know of no "takers" doesn't really mean much in a time and place when a McNabb commands a 2nd rounder. Now THAT is a different argument--You could have had him, and I still think that the Vikes should have got him.

Edit- The kid from Fordham that I liked in this draft (I think Non mentioned him also)

Scouting Report:
John Skelton: Fordham, QB, 6-5, 244

Skelton is a tall, strong-armed quarterback prospect who showcases the ability to spin the ball downfield and make all the throws needed at the next level. He gets the ball out of his hands quickly and showcases good zip when asked to throw outside the numbers. He generates some natural power from his lower half on his throws and can drive the ball downfield when exploding off his back foot. He needs to clean up his footwork a bit. Skelton looks balanced in his drop but has a tendency to rush his footwork into throws in the face of pressure and can get spotty with his accuracy. But he showcases good overall balance for his size and has the ability to move around the pocket, keep his eyes downfield, set his feet and stride into throws. He displays good touch downfield on his deep ball and does a nice job allowing receivers to run under his passes. But he needs to do a better job underneath.

Skelton doesn't throw the most catchable ball in the short passing game and needs to learn to take a little velocity off his short ball. He showcases the mental ability to manipulate defenses but always has his first or second read in mind. He can decipher the defense but hasn't been asked to find his second/third read on a consistent basis. Overall, he's one of the more intriguing quarterback prospects in this year's draft and has a lot of upside to his game. He will need time to develop, but the skill set and intelligence are there.

That report doesn't come out and say it, but my understanding is that he has the "cannon for an arm".
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Yes, I had a hardon for Skelton. He is reported to have the strongest arm in the draft, but he is raw and unpolished. Sadly, the Cards snapped him up late.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
Im still pretty surprised the pack didnt pick up any QBs to train up. And we had the opportunity - only 2 spots Ill give them for not picking a QB was the 1st round with bulaga and the 3rd with burnett - the rest could of still been taken later IMO or replaced with a QB.

but back to the viks - I find writers somewhat funny. They spout things like they are fact just so they can make their story stand out more. IMO presenting facts like this should be counted as slander.

And as you mentioned formo - the viks 2 backup QBs are decent. IMO much better then flynn.

and the thing about the QB you guys drafted being a WR ... similar to how it 'came out' raji failed his drug test last year when it was just made up.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I'll take Flynn over Sage any day. And on most days over Tavaris Jackson too.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

I'll take Flynn over Sage any day. And on most days over Tavaris Jackson too.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

hmmm maybe you right about the sage thing - was just thinking about that. I do like jackson better thou.

was almost hoping wed pick him up in a trade or something ... (last year)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

6h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.