Greg C.
14 years ago
I agree with wpr about the assumption thing, and I will add that if two out of the four assumptions mentioned by Dulak come true, the Packers should be okay at CB this year.

I would've liked if Ted had drafted a CB, but I got the impression that this draft did not really break toward our immediate needs, with the exception of Bulaga in the first round.
blank
FloridaPacker88
14 years ago
Dunno if these were posted elsewhere, but THIS is why we didn't need a corner!

[youtube]YhR35OycE08[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I was a little scared for a second when he fell. Good video, but I don't think that's why we didn't draft a CB, as Harris has maybe 3 years left in his tank, of which I believe are best suited as a Nickel back.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

which I believe are best suited as a Nickel back.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

To quote (Sir) Charles Woodson, "Al don't do nickel".

In all honesty, I think we've had unbelievably tremendous fortune in having Charles Woodson. Al Harris does not to nickel CB - for an example of what happens when Al is forced to play Nickel, please see the Cowboys game on 07.

Having someone versatile as Woodson, and even Tramon, means we can make Al the #3 CB but keep him to covering the outside when he does go in there.

I don't ever see Al being a traditional nickel CB and always lining up in the slot because it doesn't suit his game of press / man-to-man coverage. But again, the versatility afforded to us by having C-Wood and Tramon is a huge benefit that makes us need not worry about what to do with Al should he be #3 on the depth-chart.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

which I believe are best suited as a Nickel back.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

To quote (Sir) Charles Woodson, "Al don't do nickel".

In all honesty, I think we've had unbelievably tremendous fortune in having Charles Woodson. Al Harris does not to nickel CB - for an example of what happens when Al is forced to play Nickel, please see the Cowboys game on 07.

Having someone versatile as Woodson, and even Tramon, means we can make Al the #3 CB but keep him to covering the outside when he does go in there.

I don't ever see Al being a traditional nickel CB and always lining up in the slot because it doesn't suit his game of press / man-to-man coverage. But again, the versatility afforded to us by having C-Wood and Tramon is a huge benefit that makes us need not worry about what to do with Al should he be #3 on the depth-chart.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

To quote Al Harris when questioned about how many more years he has left in him, "I'm more than willing to play nickel to extend my career, but right now I'm still a top 2 corner."

Edit, Al also responded strongly when questioned if he could play zone coverage. His response was he could play any scheme if asked. Implying he hadn't been asked to play zone coverage previously.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
You can still use Al Harris as your No. 3 corner and I think that's what zero means. When he comes in the game, move either Woodson or Williams inside.

I personally like Brandon Underwood's talent a lot, but Patrick Lee might be the most important corner on this team. If he's healthy and develops, he'll help a ton.
British
14 years ago
The addition of the ball hawking Burnett should also add something to our defensive backfield. He and Collins in the middle might mean the CBs have to help out a little less inside
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
We have a number of "ifs". If Woody stays healthy, if Harris comes back healthy, if Lee comes back healthy and more polished, if Underwood develops as hoped, if Blackmon stays healthy, and if Shields proves to be a diamond in the rough - if these things happen CB would be a position of strength next years.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
warhawk
14 years ago
For most teams the CB position is determined by the development of players that continue to grow into the position. Very few teams have no form of "if" when it comes to CB because it generally takes longer for them to develope and trust on the field.

While we can count a number of "if's" is it not true the rest of the North has more "if's" than we do when it comes to CB?

Where most positions will see the added experience factor kick in and the benefits show in a higher quality of play the CB position is one more like with fingers crossed HOPING that's what happens.

That position is so critical a coach can't just put a CB out there knowing they are probably going to make mistakes like a receiver or RB or Linemen might make. A CB mistake means TD the other way.

The staff obviously feels pretty good with the information they have that guys like Lee and Underwood have the tools to be good CB's and because they haven't broken into what is a pretty solid group of CB's and gotten a lot of PT doesn't mean we should be looking elsewhere for talent. Last year would have been a perfect opportunity for Lee to step up with the injury to Harris and as luck has it he was already down for the year.

I think this year he shows why he was a second round pick.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
I may have sounded critical in my above post. I sure did not mean it that way, in fact, just the opposite. Woody is the key, if he stays healthy and 3 or 4 of the other ifs work out we should be pretty strong. Again, this is if Tramon can stay healthy. LOL Man, I can't wait for training camp to start.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (18h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (20h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (23h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.