Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Offseason work begins... A piece of Khalil Jones.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/92471949.html 

Green Bay Much of the attention at this weekend's Green Bay Packers rookie orientation will focus on the seven draft picks, including first-round selection Bryan Bulaga.

They are the future of the franchise. In some cases, the present.

But there also will be returning players among the undrafted free agents and tryout players: D.J. Clark, Tom Crabtree, Stanley Daniels, Charles Dillon, Robert Francois, Khalil Jones, Chris Pizzotti, Ronald Talley and Anthony Toribio.

For those, the camp will be one of those make-or-break moments. They've been here. They know the playbook and know how to get from the locker room to the Hutson Center. Chances like this to stand out are rare in the National Football League.

"I think this is good for them because they'll be put in the position of kind of leadership because they're the ones that have been here and know what's going on," general manager Ted Thompson said Thursday.

Well, Jones has been here - since December, when he was added to the practice squad as a receiver. But he might not quite know what's going on. That's because he was switched to defense, where he hasn't played since pee-wee football, and safety.

"He's got a lot of football in him," Thompson said. "He's got really good size, good strength and he can run fast. The pro (personnel) guys worked him out after practice as a defensive back and thought there was something there."

Jones, who never really flourished as a receiver at University of Miami, had no problem with the switch.

"Actually, the night before they told me, I had prayed for it to happen," Jones said last month. "I didn't tell anybody, but for like all of 2009 I was thinking about playing safety."

When Jones, 24, was a junior for the Hurricanes, the possibility of playing both safety and receiver was broached. Jones declined because "I wanted to be good (at) at least one thing," he said.

Going to safety wasn't brought up again until Jones was signed to the Packers' practice squad. Assistant director of pro personnel Eliot Wolf, who has developed a niche trying to find players in unconventional ways, sent Jones a text asking him if he had ever played safety.

"No, but I'm sure I can play it," Jones replied.

"I feel more natural playing it than I did receiver," Jones said. "And I'm telling you - this is the truth - when I have dreams of being an NFL player, I always dreamed of myself playing safety in the Super Bowl."

It's not hard to see why Wolf and others in the organization, including director of football operations Reggie McKenzie, wanted to see what Jones could do at safety. He's got all the measurables: 6-foot, 1-inch, 220 pounds, speed in the high 4.3s, bench press of 345 pounds, 500-pound squat, and power clean of 325 (a Miami receiver record).

"They probably saw my physique and my speed and I guess my ability because even when I was on the practice squad I was learning a lot and they liked my range and my size and definitely my athleticism," Jones said. "I've been 220 all through college, so I have the prototypical body and size of a safety. I always have. It's the best fit for me as far as longevity and growth."

Jones has devoured the playbook with safeties coach Darren Perry.

He doesn't worry much about the tackling aspect of the new position. "I've always played special teams and loved the contact," he said. Making the right calls and communicating properly is what Jones will concentrate on starting today.

Last year at this time Spencer Havner switched from linebacker to tight end. By the end of the season he was tied for fourth on the team with four touchdown catches.

Now the Packers are trying to make a successful conversion the other way.

"Obviously they know what they're doing," Jones said. "I trusted them even before they told me. This is something I'm comfortable with, and I'm assured that it's going to be better for me to be playing at safety. I feel real good about it."

A week ago Jones' move looked good with a lack of numbers at safety. It's been made more difficult with the Packers drafting Morgan Burnett in the third round and re-signing Charlie Peprah.

But Thompson said he and his staff look forward to watching what Jones can do.

"This will be good for him because he'll be one of the elder statesmen," Thompson said. "The NFL is a hard business, but certainly we think he has a chance. We wouldn't be wasting his time or our time if we didn't think he had a chance."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
First thoughts of the newest Packers.

Before camp Q&A's..... PG Insider Blog 

Friday, April 30, 2010
Offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse

Marshall Newhouse spoke to the media before practice on Friday. Here are some of his thoughts:

On the last week: Mostly Ive been trying to wrap up stuff with school back in Texas and just get prepare my body and mind to come here and put everything I have into it.

On seeing the Packers playbook: We got our playbook yesterday, and there is a lot of stuff new to me. But there is a lot of stuff that is typical football stuff. Its just getting the terminology down and getting your head into it and studying it.

On what he hopes to accomplish at the rookie camp: Just get a sense of how they operate around here. The routine they go through.

On getting in touch with his cousin, Robert, a former NFL player for the Cowboys: I havent gotten a chance to talk to Robert yet. He called me on draft day, but I havent returned his call yet. But it is something I will do.

Im blessed to have had family in the NFL. You cant go wrong. I was around him a little bit when I was growing up, but not too much.

On his love for football: I played a little baseball and wrestling in high school, but it has been football since I was about 4.

On lining up at all five positions on the offensive line: TCU, I played a little left guard. Not too much. At the All-Star game I went to, I played left tackle, left guard, right guard and right tackle.

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:54 PM | 1 Comments
Defensive end CJ Wilson

Defensive lineman CJ Wilson met with the media on Friday. Here are a few things he had to say:

On playing for the Packers: Its going to be a great experience playing in snow. Ive never experienced that before.

On sliding in the NFL Draft: Thats always on my mind. I think about that three or four times an hour. I got passed up on. I deserved to go higher, but maybe they saw something else. We will just see. Im not really worried about that right now. You cant change that. Its a lot of motivation because I got past on, but that is their deceision.

On the Packers' history: I am grateful to be here. They are going over the history with us right now, and to see that we have the most world championships. It feels good to be here. I respect it already. The pride that the fans have here.

On first practice: Very nervous and excited. The last time I had a helmet on was the Senior Bowl. Im ready to get back into it. Ive been playing football since I was 9-years-old. This is what I do.

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:38 PM | 0 Comments
Running back James Starks

Rookie running back James Starks met with the media on Friday morning. Here are a few things he touched on.

On coming from hometown Niagara Falls to Green Bay: I mean, Niagara Falls is smaller than Green Bay. I was born and raised in a small city. This feels like home to me. Not much around. Just good people. Good living. You can focus on working.

On first practice: Im so excited to get things rolling and just get that first hit. I cant wait to get hit again. I might even go and give it. It feels like Ive been out for five years.

On what he wants fans to know: Im a good person. Easy to get along with, and Im glad to be here.

On playing a full NFL season: I know I will be able to consistently do it. All my injuries came junior year. My freshman year that I was playing, I didnt sustain any injuries. I know I can sustain.

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:31 PM | 0 Comments
Morgan Burnett talks before first practice

Third round pick Morgan Burnett met with the media before practice on Friday.

On expectations for first season: Right now, Im just trying to learn. Just try to be the best player that I can be. Right now, we are just doing introductions. The basic things. The concept behind the defense.

On first impressions of Lambeau Field: That was amazing to me. Just watching in on TV, you could feel the impact of the stadium from the great fans. Seeing it live meant a lot to me. I was excited about that. Its an honor for me to just put on the Green Bay jersey.

Growing up and seeing all the history on the NFL Network and see the great players coming through Green Bay, you just have to be honored to have the G on your helmet.

On the Packers trading up to draft him: I just have to come in and still show what I can do. Show that it was a good pick. I have to come in here, work hard and train hard.

On potentially playing against Brett Favre: Im going to have to hit him and tell stories to my grandkids that I hit Brett Favre.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TengoJuego
14 years ago
Wouldn't it be great for Khalil Jones to turn out to be a gem at safety? I can already see the story playing out.
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Just an interesting tid-bit on the numbers of our drafted rookies.

B. Bulaga - 75 (Don't like this #, simply because of Tony Moll)

M. Neal - 96 (Montgomery's old #)

M. Burnett - 42 (Sharper's old #)

M. Newhouse - 74 (Kampman's old # - Very surprising to me)

A. Quarless - 81 (Desmond Howard's old #)

J. Starks - 44

CJ Wilson - 98

I always like seeing what our rookies numbers will be. I guess I'm weird like that haha.

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/photo_galleries/2010_non-game/2010-04-30/ 
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago
"Z"

I look forward to you on this site at this time of year, every year.

The articles you post are always appreciated. Now I have a new story to follow, cheer for , and hope for... Jones making it where he prayed he would play. Safety.

However.. If this works out.. The Packers will lose Eliot Wolf next year as he goes from assistant to Director Of Pro Personnel for a team that will chase him. If this works out....Nice Find Mr Eliot Wolf.

+ 1 "Z"
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
14 years ago
We all are curious but the no press rule for rookie orientation camp is to let the lossen up a bit an make mistakes without everyone pouncing on it.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Damn I wish I could just sit on the sidelines during these workouts.. just to get a first eyeball on these kids to see whom pops out.. granted no pads or hitting.. but personality and attitude tell alot right now.

Green Bay Packers bring in undrafted rookies as outside linebacker prospects 

Odds are the Green Bay Packers arent finished adding outside linebackers to their roster.

After General Manager Ted Thompson decided not to draft one last week, the Packers had to turn to alternate sources to challenge Brad Jones for the starting job to replace Aaron Kampman at left outside linebacker.

Maybe later this summer or in training camp theyll trade from one of their deepest positions, such as guard, for an outside linebacker. Maybe theyll pick up one cut by another team in August or early September.

But for now, theyre taking a hard look at the three undrafted rookies they signed immediately after the draft ended last Saturday: Tim Knicky of Stephen F. Austin, Frank Zombo of Central Michigan and John Russell of Wake Forest.

All of us have a shot, Knicky said Friday, the first day of the Packers rookie orientation camp. Depends on how many they want to take and how we play. Great opportunity.

In the draft, the Packers best chance of finding a starter was TCU outside linebacker Jerry Hughes at No. 23 overall, but Thompson passed over him to select Iowa tackle Bryan Bulaga.

After the draft, the Packers hit the undrafted rookie market hard looking for unheralded prospects to challenge Jones, who as a seventh-round draft pick last season was a credible replacement for Kampman the final six games, and the remaining backups.

The returnees are Brady Poppinga, who is primarily a core special-teams player; Cyril Obiozor, who made the practice squad as an undrafted rookie last year and was promoted to the 53-man roster the final five games; and Robert Francois, who signed with Minnesota last year as an undrafted rookie, was cut when the Vikings signed Brett Favre in August, and then was out of the league until the Packers signed him to their practice squad for the final four weeks.

In the scramble to sign rookies after the draft, the Packers targeted Knicky, who put up big sack numbers at the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) level; Zombo, a college defensive end whom some NFL teams projected as a tight end; and Russell, an undersized but productive defensive tackle at Wake Forest who is making a major change to standup linebacker in the NFL.

The Packers appeared to have Knicky rated highest of the three heading into this weekends camp, because he worked ahead of the others with Francois on the No. 1 defense (Poppinga and Obiozor are not eligible for the camp)in Fridays practice. At 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, Knicky has the length and bulk for the job, and he was an effective pass rusher in college with 24 sacks and 50 tackles for a loss in his three seasons as a starter. At his campus workout, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, which is in line with good prospects at that position.

Hes smart, said Marc Lillibridge, the former Packers scout who is Knickys agent. He had a 30-something on his Wonderlic (intelligence test). He eats and breathes football, a Texas kid, hes got that going for him. The skys the limit for this guy.

Knicky was a receiver in high school in Austin, Texas, until moving to defensive end his senior year. At little more than 200 pounds at the time, he was unrecruited and went to Stephen F. Austin as a walk-on.

He added weight, blossomed and played most of his college career as a light, 230-pound defensive end. He had 12 sacks last season even though he played much of the year on a sprained ankle.

Knicky also had offers to sign with Denver and San Diego, which run 3-4 defenses, and Jacksonville, which runs a 4-3. His college statistics suggest he has pass-rush ability, but hell have to show he can play at the point of attack in the run game and in coverage after rarely dropping back as a defensive end in college.

A lot of (teams) wanted to know if I could play standing up and move around, that was really the big question, Knicky said. I showed I could pass rush, but I was a little too small to be that defensive end, and they wanted to know if I could do that standing up. I went to the Texas (vs.) The Nation game and showed people I could stand up and move around. I think that helped.

Zombo (6-3) also played defensive end in college but weighed in the 265- to 270-pound range, and for the move to the 3-4 this offseason dropped to 254 pounds. He was a first-team all-state receiver at Stevenson High School in Sterling Heights, Mich., but switched to defensive end in college instead of remaining on offense because Central Michigan plays a spread attack that rarely implements a tight end.

Zombo had 22 sacks in three seasons as a starter, including six last season. He occasionally dropped into coverage on zone blitzes on one drop against Northern Illinois he returned an interception 27 yards for a touchdown but always played with his hand on the ground, whereas the Packers 3-4 outside linebackers line up in a standing position. He ran the 40 in 4.71 seconds at his campus workout and did drills at defensive end, outside linebacker and tight end.

Detroit offered him a contract as a tight end.

Ive (played defense) the last five years of my life, Zombo said. So I think I have a better shot at making a team and being an influence as a defensive player, outside linebacker.

Russell is making the most difficult transition of the three. He was an undersized interior defensive lineman at Wake Forest, where as a 251-pound freshman he started at three-technique tackle in the Orange Bowl. He played at a little more than 280 pounds his final three years and had some teams looking at him as a 3-4 defensive end.

Russell doesnt have the preferred length of an outside linebacker at 6-2 7/8, but he said he more naturally weighs about 260 pounds, and had 3-4 teams Kansas City, Dallas and Buffalo looking at him at that position along with the Packers. Since last weekend, hes dropped from 282 pounds to 276 pounds and expects to be under 265 by the start of training camp. He ran the 40 in 4.94 seconds at his campus workout and will have to improve his speed and quickness as he drops weight to have a chance to succeed.

Im looking forward to playing outside, Russell said. I feel a lot better than I did on my pro day. Im ready to give this thing a shot.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
MM post practice Presser..

Highlights of McCarthy press conference 
Posted by Mike Vandermause April 30th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Here are the highlights of coach Mike McCarthys post-practice press conference today:

*First-round draft choice Bryan Bulaga looks good in a Packer uniform. He didnt watch enough individual work on any one player to make an assessment. Hes off to a good start. His so-called short arms arent a concern. He has broad shoulders, McCarthy said, and arm length doesnt begin to tell the whole story about an O-lineman.

*Free agent signee Sam Shields, who has speed to burn, will be considered for kick returns, even though Shields played on coverage teams and not return teams last year at the University of Miami. He has exceptional speed and McCarthy said looked good catching the football on returns.

*The punting battle between Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan is going to be a good competition. He likes the skill level and believes the team has taken a step in the right direction.

*Sixth-round RB James Starks looked athletic and displayed some natural run skills.

*McCarthy doesnt get involved too much in the signing and recruiting of free agents. It wasnt until Tuesday that the Packers finalized who they would bring in to the rookie orientation camp.

*Mark Murphy and Russ Ball of the Packers front office addressed the rookies at a team dinner Thursday night on the sixth floor at Lambeau. McCarthy also spoke to the team. No plans for a guest speaker this weekend are in the works.

*I didnt get much sleep last night, said McCarthy. There is nothing like getting on the field. This is what its all about. There is nothing like coaching football.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
A full list of all the tryout guys this weekend...

WR Glen Fox, South Dakota State

WR D.J. Hord, Northern Iowa

WR Edward Morton-Green, Morgan State

WR Chastin West, Fresno State

CB Jerell Norton, Arkansas

S Robert Vaughn, UConn

CB Ken Richardson, West Virginia

WR Will Scott, North Carolina Central

CB Jeff Lemon, SW Oklahoma State

RB Anthony Harding, Fresno State

S Anthony Levine, Tennessee State

LB Osayi Osunde, Villanova

RB Tory Harrison, Southern Miss

LS Carter Brunelle, Baylor

LB Andy Mattingly, Washington State

FB Mike Rinfrette, Wake Forest

FB Bobby Rome, North Carolina

C Garrett Anderson, South Carolina

C Robb Houser, Pittsburgh

G Joe Thomas, Pittsburgh

G Mike Aguayo, UTEP

NT Aleric Mullins, North Carolina

LB Jonathan Jones, Wake Forest

LB Bryan Wilson, Morgan State

DE Drew Berube, Hillsdale

NT Mundrae Clifton, Nevada

NT Daniel Calvin, Kansas State

WR Shawn Gore, Bishops (Canada)

LB Antwyne Zanders, Louisiana-Lafayette

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Yes, the competition is questionable.. but kid looks like he has a burst off the edge.. will be interesting to see that from a two point.

I love the angles the kid takes later in the video cut ups.. on the running plays.. seems to understand the pursuit angles.. about 3:50 coverage from an inside backer spot..

Knicky.

[youtube]tKSAUtKTsK8[/youtube]
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (1h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (7h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (8h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (11h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (11h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (11h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (12h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (12h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (23h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.