Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I have mixed opinions on this cat.. I respect some of the items he has championed.. and disagreed with many.

Personally met him a time or two.. very publicly cordial.. but "new blood" might be a very welcomed thing.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/92871789.html 

Obey won't run for re-election

By Sharif Durhams of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: May 5, 2010 11:00 a.m. |(37) Comments
Associated Press
David Obey
All Politics Blog

House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wisconsin) is expected to announce he won't run for re-election during a noon press conference.

The Journal Sentinel's Diana Marrero is in Washington and headed to Obey's press conference.

Obey, 71, is the third most-senior member of the House and holds one of the most powerful positions in the chamber.

"He's at the top of his power," said Norm Ornstein, a congressional scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, told the Journal Sentinel last June. "Obey is among that small group of members who are having a major impact on the policy of the nation."

In a recent interview with the Journal Sentinel, Obey - who first ran for office to help bring about healthcare reform -- called the recent passage of a reform plan "one of the greatest advances for average working people in the history of the country."

The day after presiding as the House vote that pushed President Obama's reform plan over the top, Obey recounted the stories of people he met throughout his years as a congressman in explaining why he was so passionate about health care. He read from letters sent by constituents who said they were looking not for handouts, but for affordable health care coverage. And he spoke of his sister, who died of cancer years ago and feared leaving her husband and children with a pile of medical bills if she lived beyond when her insurance was set to run out.

"This is one of the last building blocks in really building a society that is based on justice," he said.

Obey has roughly $1 million in the bank he could have used to defend the congressional seat he's held for more than 40 years. That amounts to five times the campaign cash held by his strongest GOP challenger, Republican Sean Duffy. However, Duffy has been getting national press coverage for his campaign and a great deal of buzz within Republican circles.

Obey was the youngest member of Congress when he was sworn in in 1969, succeeding Mel Laird, who was appointed defense secretary.

Obey grew up in Wausau and was graduated from Wausau East High School. He later attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he received a bachelor's degree. Obey completed graduate work in Soviet politics at UW, but later decided to run for the state Legislature.

Obey served three terms in the Assembly and was known for his role in setting up the state's technical college districts.

As chairman of the Appropriations Committee, Obey helps makes spending decisions for every federal program.

Obey is also well known for his harmonica playing. He performs with his two sons and friends in a bluegrass band known as the "Capitol Offenses."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Speaking as someone who grew up in Obey's district, this is about 35 years overdue.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

Speaking as someone who grew up in Obey's district, this is about 35 years overdue.

"Wade" wrote:

Elaborate on your upbringing... the where more so.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
digsthepack
14 years ago
I also grew up in his district, and knew his nephew Gil pretty well when I was younger. Never had too much regard for the man or his positions, but am convinced that NOBODY should hold public office for that long. Not healthy...especially for the constituents who become increasingly small in importance the longer they sit behind that desk.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"Wade" wrote:

Grew up about 5 miles west of where the prison lies on Hiway 29. But I escaped well before they had that prison to put me in.

And I absolutely agree with digsthepack. The single worst feature of the national legislative system is the lack of term limits. Regardless of who the person is.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

"Wade" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

Grew up about 5 miles west of where the prison lies on Hiway 29. But I escaped well before they had that prison to put me in.

And I absolutely agree with digsthepack. The single worst feature of the national legislative system is the lack of term limits. Regardless of who the person is.

"Wade" wrote:

No disagreement on term limits nor spending reform to become elected..

Used to date a gal from that area in college.. I am now convinced that she dated me solely as transportation means back and forth to Green Bay.. lol. 😉
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Dumbest relationship move in my life was breaking up with girl I started to date my senior year in high school. (Wholly my fault, not hers.) Haven't had that kind of magic since.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I saw Mr. Obey in the Capitol today. He took his sweet time coming out to see our exhibits. He's feeling pretty damn important, now that he's been assaulted with press calls the entire day. 😉
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
I won't say how i feel about him.
Except to say i'm not gonna cry that he's leaving.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.