Zero2Cool
13 years ago
What are your thoughts about it? I just got done reading and article on CNET and some of their comments.

I used to feel for those who had their work stolen, and the financial loss. However, what about the other side of it? What if the downloader never intended on purchasing that CD, that movie, that software, etc in the first place? How many downloaders fall into that category, then end up purchasing said media because of it's quality?

It costs less than .25 to make a CD, that includes everything start to finish. How much does it cost us to purchase it? Something like $15 right?

The cost for a DVD is I'm the same range and costs in the same ballpark to make.

A Blu-Ray movie is twice the cost of a DVD and costs in the $20 range.

Going to a movie is atleast $8 bucks per ticket. A soda is $6, popcorn is $5.50 ... etc ...

As a software developer myself this may sound stupid, but even software is over priced.

I used to think 'man, if punks wouldnt pirate, things would be cheaper'. Then I look back, and realize it's always been priced outrageously.

I'd go to the movies, buy more CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray's, and software if it was priced more reasonably for the average person.

What's your thoughts on this? There's so many angles that I can't even comprehend.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
It was never about the physical good, but about the licence to view or personally use the intellectual property contained on the DVD. This is why to purchase a blank CD they're something like $10 for a 50 pack.

The issue I have against games/CDs/DVDs/whatever electronic medium is that the bucks mostly go to the publishers, which I think is wrong. Especially with viral marketing, half of the anticipation is caused outside of the marketing and advertising department. I don't see why 80% or whatever proportion of what I'm paying should go to those people. If it wasn't for the fact that publishers fund developers to produce games, I'd rather pay a developer outright, usually for a much cheaper price, and obtain a digital copy that way.

Though currently unless I really want a product, I just wait till it's on sale, rather than pirate it.
blank
Formo
13 years ago
I can understand why someone would want to 'pirate' the products.. if they wanted it for their personal use. The moment they reproduce and sell it is the moment I am staunchly against it.

But, I try to 'play the game' as legal as I can. Last thing I need on my head is having my virtual data being deleted or whatever because I pirated some movies and songs.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I can understand why someone would want to 'pirate' the products.. if they wanted it for their personal use. The moment they reproduce and sell it is the moment I am staunchly against it.

But, I try to 'play the game' as legal as I can. Last thing I need on my head is having my virtual data being deleted or whatever because I pirated some movies and songs.

"Formo" wrote:

Yes, that's worse than those pricks who take open source code, change some routines and compile it as their own for profit.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
I especially like the eye patch they wear. And the parrot on the shoulder is a nice touch.

(sorry.....couldn't resist!!!)LOLOL!!!

Are they overpriced? yes. But the ones that make money often have to make up for the ones that bomb. (Daredevil, Gigly, or whatever the heck it was named)
Same with music. What i don't like is having to pay $15 for a CD, when you only like one song on it.
So, yes, it's wrong to "steal" the works of others. But i do see why some do it. And selling it when you stole it? That's wrong ALL the time.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago
one of the 'funniest' things I have read on piracy was when the movie companies decided to compete with all the piracy in china decided to sell legit dvds (ie just like we get in the states) to the chinese for 1$. <<< to compete with all the pirates selling their goods.

interesting policy huh ... mean while they prosecute 35 year old housewives for 35k for downloading some music or movie etc ... (in the states)
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
This is a topic with the potential for excellent discussion.

For now, I'll reply by saying it would seem not too many people are familiar with the concept of creative commons (cc).

Long-live Copy-Left!
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
13 years ago
I think music is an art form and has been manipulated by producers working on a Capitalist system to milk as much money out of it as possible. It is vastly overpriced. "Piracy" is merely putting it back where it should be - an art form that can be appreciated.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

I think music is an art form and has been manipulated by producers working on a Capitalist system to milk as much money out of it as possible. It is vastly overpriced. "Piracy" is merely putting it back where it should be - an art form that can be appreciated.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

While I don't disagree with your comments, I will say if people are drones enough to buy whatever is produced and manufactored then the producers definitely earn their keep. Fact of reality is, artistic talented music isn't as marketable as the crap that's being produced now days.

Here's the kicker.. Just because it's crap, doesn't make it bad to sell. People buy it out of free will. Let 'em.

Me personally? I buy what I want. Not the whole CD. The joys of modern technology.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

While I don't disagree with your comments, I will say if people are drones enough to buy whatever is produced and manufactored then the producers definitely earn their keep. Fact of reality is, artistic talented music isn't as marketable as the crap that's being produced now days.

Here's the kicker.. Just because it's crap, doesn't make it bad to sell. People buy it out of free will. Let 'em.

Me personally? I buy what I want. Not the whole CD. The joys of modern technology.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

The first part of this I agree with. The first band that comes to mind is AFI. Some of their older stuff was really awesome. Then they went 'mainstream' and it became all kind of kiddie pop or something.

The last part some would say you're failing to support your artist!!! You're terrible!!

Although, I agree. Why spend 15 bucks on a CD that has only one song you like and you can purchase that one song for a buck or two?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (1h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.