Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I find it interesting to read a review with a hint of hometown bias mixed in. ;)

Packers: potent but vulnerable 

Posted May 19, 2010 @ 10:25 a.m. ET
By Dan Arkush

Are the Green Bay Packers really armed and ready to grab the NFL throne from the New Orleans Saints in 2010?

According to the preseason forecast in the Pro Football Weekly/Yahoo! Sports Preview 2010 magazine (on sale in June) as well as a growing number of well-respected national pigskin pundits the answer is a resounding yes. Twenty-one of the team's preferred 22 starters (everybody but converted LOLB Aaron Kampman, who signed with Jacksonville) are returning from a squad that really got its act together in the second half of the '09 campaign with seven victories in the last eight regular-season games while averaging a whopping 30.8 points.

The way I see it, if Aaron Rodgers, who appears on the cusp of elite status among NFL quarterbacks, had not overthrown a wide-open Greg Jennings on the first play in overtime of the Packers' wild-and-crazy wild-card loss to the Cardinals, it's quite possible Green Bay could have stolen the Saints' Super Bowl thunder a few months back.

With mid-May minicamps in full bloom the first open session of the Packers' OTAs that began Monday is on tap Wednesday there isn't a team in the league looking as solid on both sides of the ball as Green Bay right now.

The offense reached history-making heights in '09, becoming the first ever to feature a 4,000-yard passer (Rodgers), a 1,200-yard rusher (Ryan Grant) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Jennings and Donald Driver).

The defense, in the first season under the direction of the venerable Dom Capers, improved from 26th against the run to the best in the league and registered a lights-out plus-24 turnover differential (nine better than any other team) with a league-leading 30 interceptions.

It's also worth noting an excellent 2009 draft crop that reaped immediate dividends, with all but one of GM Ted Thompson's eight picks (fifth-round OT Jamon Meredith) making some kind of an impact. Thanks to the likes of OLBs Clay Matthews and Brad Jones, NT-DE B.J. Raji and versatile OL T.J. Lang, among others, there does not appear to be an immediate need for any of this year's draft picks to make his presence felt in a dramatic fashion.

All that said, there are more than a few potentially very dangerous pitfalls on the road to Super Bowl XLV in Dallas.

What follows are five pitfalls, in particular, that Packers boosters far and wide would be foolish to ignore:

1) THE SPECIAL TEAMS The first year under special-teams coordinator Shawn Slocum was far from special. In fact, it was downright despicable on a number of levels. [img_r]http://media.canada.com/9c644d4d-79fd-4ef5-8bd3-c4933500492a/ryan090108.jpg[/img_r]

Suffice it to say the Packers rue the day they decided to cut the cord with P Jon Ryan a week before the 2008 opener. While Ryan moved on to Seattle and immediately became one of the Seahawks' few reliable performers, the Packers' punting has been awful for the most part since then.

It was far from a shock when the team decided not to tender incumbent P Jeremy Kapinos, which set the stage this offseason for a battle between two totally unproven performers left-footed street free agent Tim Masthay and Chris Bryan, a 28-year-old native of Australia who had never played American football.

PK Mason Crosby, meanwhile, offset his undeniably impressive leg strength with serious accuracy problems, particularly from the right hash mark. Crosby finished the season missing five of his last 15 field-goal attempts including a 54-yarder that would have beaten Arizona in the playoffs and had one truly forgettable stretch in which he missed a field goal in four straight games.

When you add the special-team units' propensity for foolish penalties and a very uncertain kick-return situation, with Will Blackmon coming off a nasty knee injury, the end result is a serious problem that could very easily end Green Bay's 2010 season prematurely.

2) THE OFFENSIVE LINE After giving up a whopping 37 sacks in the first eight games, the line improved substantially the second half of the season when veteran Mark Tauscher returned to his customary position at right tackle. The team re-signed Tauscher and starting OLT Chad Clifton, but at the ages of 33 and 34, respectively, as of June, and with injuries having taken their toll on both of them in recent times, the odds are not good that each player will remain in one piece.

[img_l]http://nflsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/green-bay-packers-offensive-line.jpg[/img_l] That could be especially troubling in the case of Clifton, who missed four games in '09 and was forced out of four others, including the Cardinals' playoff game, due to ankle and hamstring injuries. The line noticeably struggled without Clifton, and it remains to be seen whether first-round draft pick Bryan Bulaga, whose short arms became a huge topic in advance of the draft, will be able to fill the bill if pressed into emergency starting duty.

Any optimism at left guard, meanwhile, is guarded, to say the least, with neither Daryn Colledge, who led the line in ill-timed breakdowns, nor Jason Spitz, who could be held out of the start of offseason practices due to back surgery last season, offering much to get excited about.

Did we mention that Lang, who has great potential, is expected to miss offseason practices while continuing to recover from surgery on his left wrist after it was injured during practice in December?

Those are a lot of red flags, friends.

3) THE PASS DEFENSE Although the Packers ranked a very respectable fifth in passing yards allowed, the pass defense's mind-boggling meltdowns in losses to the Vikings (twice), the Steelers and the Cardinals in the playoffs remain major concerns.

In those particular games, former Packers legend Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner registered a combined 15-0 TD-interception ratio and completed just over 70 percent of their passes. The consensus seems to be that shaky coverage from the team's linebackers was at the root of the problem, although the season-ending knee injury suffered in Week 11 by veteran starting RCB Al Harris certainly didn't help matters.

With Harris, Blackmon and Pat Lee all coming off serious injuries, and Tramon Williams still not having signed his tender at this writing, the outlook on the corners is a bit scary. Same goes for strong safety, where incumbent Atari Bigby has been banged up a significant chunk of the last two seasons and could get a run for his money from 2010 third-round draft pick Morgan Burnett. The good news is that Pro Bowlers Charles Woodson and Nick Collins are as good as it gets at left corner and free safety, respectively. However ...

4) THE PASS RUSH Aside from Matthews, a potential superstar in the making who set a team rookie record with 10 sacks, the Packers' didn't pose much of a pass-rush threat. Capers apparently believes there will be a natural increase in pass-rush effectiveness in the second year of his system. [img_r]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/pack93z/Vikehomer.jpg[/img_r]

A healthier Raji, who was hindered by a high ankle sprain in the first half of his rookie campaign, also should help.

In any event, it's imperative that another defender or two besides Matthews provide consistent pressure.

5) THE VIKINGS I've saved the biggest potential problem which shouldn't surprise anybody for last. With Favre at the helm, Minnesota clearly had Green Bay's number last season in victories in the Packers' fourth and seventh games. In those two losses, the line surrendered 14 sacks, and in one of them, Rodgers suffered a foot injury that quietly bothered him the remainder of the season. It's definitely worth highlighting the seventh game (at Lambeau in prime time) and the 10th game (at Minnesota) on the Pack's 2010 schedule.

Obviously, whether or not Favre is under center for Minnesota will be a huge factor. I can't pretend to know what he will actually end up doing, but while the prospect of somebody who is an honest-to-God grandfather still playing at the pro level seems totally off the wall to me, my gut tells me that Brett will indeed be back and that he will be extremely stoked in the two games against his old team.

I have to think the Packers must win at least one of those matchups to be on a fast track to Super success.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I don't think the Packers could have topped the Saints ... I do think we would have had a better chance at beating the Colts than we would have beating the Saints.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
1) Getting rid of Ryan was one of our more stupid moves we've made recently. If Blackmon stays healthy AND we don't get his TDs called back because of penalties, we should rise to mediocre STs instead of near worst or worst. At least I hope, but STs will most likely be a red flag this season unfortunately.

2) Addressed in the draft with 2 OL picked. The best we can do is pray for Cliffy and Tausch to be healthy long enough to pass the torch. How good is Buluga? I have a bad feeling we'll find out this season.

3) Injuries and bad communication killed us. One more year together and this should be improved.

4) Capers needs to be more aggressive. I'd much rather see an opposing QB torch us but be scared for his health than torch us with 3 people rushing. Be aggressive. B E Aggressive. (Singing directly to Dom Capers)

5) If Favre doesn't come back, we sweep. VR says he'll quote me on that. Well, I'll quote VR that he'll quote me on that. If Favre comes back, see my response to question #4.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Ryan who?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Jon Ryan.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Jon Ryan.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Ahh, okay. I don't think it was stupid AT THE TIME. Now? Yes, obviously. But at the time, he was not consistent for us.

Trying to improve our punting situation, agreeable. The manner it was done, I just don't think was too smart. If I remember right, we didn't even have the new guy, Frost try out or compete with Jon.

I'm all for improvement, but make it a competition, not just a hot swap.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
At the time, I did question it as I liked Ryan. The criticisms of him weren't major criticisms.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Ryan was not only our punter.. but probably or 2nd or 3rd best back on the roster. ;)

At least on botched punt attempts...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Ryan was not only our punter.. but probably or 2nd or 3rd best back on the roster. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

This might sound silly, but I think our biggest loss with not having Jon Ryan was his holding ability for field goals.

At the time, I did question it as I liked Ryan. The criticisms of him weren't major criticisms.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

So you're bias, that was kind of clear already though. :P

I liked Ryan a lot, mainly because he could boom it a mile... unfortunately he could also shank it just as easily.

I think his shanking was because the Special Teams coach was tinkering with his approach.

I also think the Special Team coach is why we dumped Ryan and why we picked up Frost.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

This might sound silly, but I think our biggest loss with not having Jon Ryan was his holding ability for field goals.

"pack93z" wrote:

Agreed.. my comment was merely in jest.
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (2h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (8h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (10h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (10h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (12h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (12h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (12h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (13h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (13h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.