Yerko
  • Yerko
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hey guys, its AKamp74 (now known as G-Force) and I thought I'd throw you a final and most likely last update on my tryout status to play football. First, I'd like to apologize for my absence on the forums...I actually missed coming on here every day or other day but I am back and ready to chat.

My tryout was yesterday for the Elite Pro Football Combines at North Central College in Naperville, IL. To give everyone a brief description about this, the service has about 10 regional combines and then a National Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium. In order to receive an invite to the National Combine, you must score an 8.6 or higher on a 10.0 scale to even be looked at and considered by the NFL. So even if you score an 8.6, the NFL can still say no to the National Combine. This score is based off of 40-yard dash, bench, vert jump, 20 yard shuttle, and height/weight/reach/hand size, and position drills.

So for those of you who followed the other thread, know that I started out at almost 290 pounds. When I had planned to tryout again I wanted to go back to my original position, tight end. In a 5 month process I lost 50 pounds (240) and gained 10 back from weight lifting. I went into the combine at 6'3" 250. Unfortunately, with the short amount of time and the weight loss, I ruined a lot of things because all my focus was on losing weight and not my speed and strength.

My testing was as follows and the order I tested in...
1. 40 yard- 5.01 (I still had the speed of a lineman. My father was there and had me at a 4.8 and needless to say the 5.01 time was also hand checked, not electronic. 4.7 was a top score for tight ends)
2. Vert- 10 ft 9 inches (I can't calculate this because it is calculated with height and reach. However, this was a good test for me. I got hops haha).
3. 20 yard shuttle- 4.7 (This is actually pretty decent, but not enough to open a scouts eyes supposedly)
4. Bench Press- 17 reps (This truly killed me right here and after this test I really doubted my chances. The qualifying score for tight ends was 21. I knew with my training this was going to be rough because I attempted it the week before and only managed 16 reps. The timing of weight loss hurt me here because at 270 I was able to knock out 26 reps).
5.Height- 6'3"/Weight- 250.2 pounds/Hand size-10 inches/Arm length- 33 inches (I was satisfied with where I was. Again, with timing of weight loss I believe it affected alot.)
6. Position Drills- Caught 5 of 5 and performed blocks successfully (One thing I haven't lost a step on was my ability to run routes and make a catch. One specific catch was a fade down the hash looking over (right)inside shoulder and readjusting to a bad throw to the outside shoulder...I made a one hand catch and people went nuts. Blocking was there, being an offensive lineman helped me easily on this).

So all in all, I had my ups and downs. I know that from this I won't even get a look but in the end I am happy I tried. I have family and friends who have been supporting me and are now telling me to take in a whole year of training and give it one more shot and right now, its a thought process for me.
Its a thought process because I already know going in, its a sliver of a chance of me making it (even with a higher testing score)...and thats the truth. One thing for sure, it is a tough dream to let go of.
I appreciate those of you that followed me in the previous thread. It meant a lot to me....so thank you very much.

I'm ready to talk Packers baby!!! (and how bout them HAWKS!) :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
Hey mate, well done for putting in the hard yards and giving it a go, even if it didn't turn out how you'd like this time.

I would honestly continue to train and stay fit, not necessarily to get another shot at it (even though the opportunity remains) but for your own fitness sake.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Here is what you take from this.. you can navigate the rest of your life without the what ifs from lack of effort.

Trust me.. it tortures your soul at times.. those unanswered questions.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
  • Yerko
13 years ago
Engineer- I definitely plan on staying fit. If football is not in my future I plan on dropping to around 220 or 230. I have to be lifting, running or playing some kind of sport to stay sane.

Pack- It already started torturing me as of this morning. Constantly asking myself what I could have done with a longer training period and yada yada yada. I honestly think without the worries of losing all that weight my testing would probably be better. I also had to coach myself through pretty much everything since my friend that was helping moved. In the end, the odds were truly against me.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Word of advice.. let the go quickly... or make another run at it and answer it completely for yourself.

I wish I could have answered it for myself.. just physically couldn't do it. So I know much about that what if question. The type that will wake you up at night if you allow it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
  • Yerko
13 years ago

Word of advice.. let the go quickly... or make another run at it and answer it completely for yourself.

I wish I could have answered it for myself.. just physically couldn't do it. So I know much about that what if question. The type that will wake you up at night if you allow it.

"pack93z" wrote:

You're awesome and I seriously appreciate your words of advice. If anything happens I will gladly keep you guys updated.

I gotta get back into the mix of discussion with you all...I've missed it!
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
One more time, dude. Keep hitting the weights until you can do 23 reps. Go two over. You want to look like a guy who does above and beyond.

Keep the same weight. Get comfortable with it. Then next year, go and try out again.

My younger brother tried out for a minor league baseball team. He can hit a 90 mile an hour fastball no problem but they got him with the slider. He also can stop any infield hit (that's reachable) but can't throw out the real fast guys from shortstop. So I'm telling this to the chick next to me at the bar and she turns to me and says "well, tell him to try out next year for 2nd base and work with a pitcher who throws a good slider."

I told him that but he said he was burned out and didn't want to do it again. Bummer, as having a professional athlete in your immediate family would kick ass, even if it's minor leagues.

So why does this matter to you? Because your siblings are probably thinking exactly the same thing I'm thinking.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Yerko
  • Yerko
13 years ago

One more time, dude. Keep hitting the weights until you can do 23 reps. Go two over. You want to look like a guy who does above and beyond.

Keep the same weight. Get comfortable with it. Then next year, go and try out again.

My younger brother tried out for a minor league baseball team. He can hit a 90 mile an hour fastball no problem but they got him with the slider. He also can stop any infield hit (that's reachable) but can't throw out the real fast guys from shortstop. So I'm telling this to the chick next to me at the bar and she turns to me and says "well, tell him to try out next year for 2nd base and work with a pitcher who throws a good slider."

I told him that but he said he was burned out and didn't want to do it again. Bummer, as having a professional athlete in your immediate family would kick ass, even if it's minor leagues.

So why does this matter to you? Because your siblings are probably thinking exactly the same thing I'm thinking.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Funny thing is, I have 3 younger brothers (20, 17, and 12). All three of them including my father who was there are begging me to do another year of training and try once more. My 12 year old brother did a report on me being his hero and how he loves watching me play football.

The training for a full year with my current weight would help a lot. I would actually probably drop 15 more pounds and pack on 10 good within the year of training. Timing is everything. Fullback would probably be a better option as well. I don't know if there are any 6'2" fullbacks out there though.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Funny thing is, I have 3 younger brothers (20, 17, and 12). All three of them including my father who was there are begging me to do another year of training and try once more. My 12 year old brother did a report on me being his hero and how he loves watching me play football.

The training for a full year with my current weight would help a lot. I would actually probably drop 15 more pounds and pack on 10 good within the year of training. Timing is everything. Fullback would probably be a better option as well. I don't know if there are any 6'2" fullbacks out there though.

"G-Force" wrote:

Is 6'2" too tall or too short? Kuhn is 6'0", Jackson is 6'1", and Brandon Jacobs of the NY Giants is 6'4".

Well, there you go. 3 younger brothers and your father bugging you to do another year and try once more. More importantly, are YOU up for another shot?

Best of luck my friend. :thumbright:
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
djcubez
13 years ago
I know I've said this before by why are you only considering the NFL? There's plenty of other professional football leagues out there and you'll get a much better chance with them. Just saying.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.