Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100613/PKR01/100613039/Crosby-s-goal-for-the-season-Just-make-kicks- 

Mason Crosby has a new mantra for this season.

"Just make kicks, the Green Bay Packers kicker said during a recent break from organized team activities.

Sounds simple enough. But for a kicker who went through a rough patch last year in the middle of his third NFL season, doesnt it have to be more complicated than that?

I think at times last year I put a little added pressure on myself to make kicks and be a certain percentage, Crosby said. Instead, lets just go out there and focus on putting the ball through the uprights. I have all the ability, so lets just make kicks.

Crosby and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum have examined every kick Crosby hit last season, when he made 27 of 36 field goals but had a four-game stretch late in the regular season in which he missed a kick in every game. All of those misses were from 43 yards or less.

Though Crosby was fourth in the NFL in scoring among kickers with 129 points, his field-goal conversion rate of 75 percent was fourth-lowest among the leagues top 25 kickers in terms of scoring. Four more of his misses last season were from 50-plus yards.

The Packers drafted Crosby in the sixth round in 2007 with the hope he would be an 80 percent kicker. After two years, he was at 79.5 percent, but last season lowered his career average to 77.98 percent.

Instead of going home to Texas this offseason, Crosby stayed in Green Bay almost the entire time, working with Slocum and new strength and conditioning coach Mark Lovat.

Crosby always has been known for his strong leg, but he and Lovat developed a workout program specifically designed to help his kicking.

We just strengthened certain things that I felt might have been not necessarily weakened, but things I wanted to build up, Crosby said. So I worked on a lot of stability, a lot of core stuff and focused on whats going to make me better as a kicker and not just be pounding the weights just to lift. Marks had a great offseason program.

Crosby said he has noticed an improvement on his kickoffs and on field goals. He hasnt been put to the test much during the OTAs that have been open to the media, but on a blustery day two weeks ago, he made his only two field goals in team drills, both from 43 yards into a crosswind.

I feel really solid on field goals right now, Crosby said.

Mechanically, Crosby hasnt changed much, although hes trying to rely less on his leg strength and more on fundamentals.

Just working on fundamentals and consistent through drill work, through mental preparation, through things that we start all through the spring and summer and continue throughout the fall and the course of the football season, Slocum said when asked how to improve Crosbys accuracy.

Its always going to be a challenge to kick in a northern climate and to kick in an outdoor stadium thats got unique wind conditions. That will always be an issue. The thing that weve got to do is that when we step on the field on Sundays, we need to be a better kicker than our opponent.

Crosby also might have to break in a new holder. Backup quarterback Matt Flynn served in that capacity for most of the season but in the middle of Crosbys late-season slump, the Packers replaced Flynn with punter Jeremy Kapinos. With Kapinos no longer on the team, the duty could fall to Flynn or the new punter. At this point, Australian Chris Bryan and street free agent Tim Masthay are competing for the punting job.

I think its best for the punter to be the holder because No. 1, they catch the snap time after time through practice and games, and then they have the opportunity to work with the kicker daily, Slocum said. So I think thats the best scenario.

The Packers dont have another kicker competing with Crosby, who is in the final year of his four-year rookie contract. With the 80-man roster limit, its unlikely another kicker will be brought in for training camp, unless Crosby struggles again.

I think weve got a very good kicker, Slocum said. Hes going into his fourth season. I think well see an improvement. He made a bunch of field goals last year. He made 27 field goals.

"The thing that may change his process is that if we punt the ball better, we may not have to try as many long, 50-yard field goals. Well just say, 'Hey, we can put them inside the 10, go get the ball back at midfield and then we can score touchdowns.' That whole process works together."

I'm not holding my breath, until they let him kick the ball how he's most comfortable kicking.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I have a lot of confidence in him. He had an amazing rookie season, I think he should go back to however he was doing it then.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I have a lot of confidence in him. He had an amazing rookie season, I think he should go back to however he was doing it then.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

For a rookie, he had a good season. I wouldn't go as far as saying 9 of 14 between 40-49 is amazing. I'd like our kicker to be kicking above 80%.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I like Crosby, so I'll be rooting for him to make the necessary changes to become a better kicker. I hope he lights it up this season and we can scratch FG problems off the list.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Victim of over coaching IMO.. the guy was a damn fine kicker coming into the league.. and has regressed under the myriad of coaching changes on the Packers special teams.

Two and two generally make 4.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Victim of over coaching IMO.. the guy was a damn fine kicker coming into the league.. and has regressed under the myriad of coaching changes on the Packers special teams.

Two and two generally make 4.

"pack93z" wrote:

I try to understand, I just sometimes can't when it comes to Kickers/Punters and coaches changing their steps. K/P's are some of the most superstitious people in the business ... why mess with what got them through High School and College if it worked? I'd rather have them do it in the pro's, if it fails, THEN tweak them.

It's hard to change muscle memory when you feel you have to everything this way or that way to be successful. I believe.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
For all the complaints about Crosby, he has the 3rd highest Packer career FG% since they moved the goalposts in 1974, behind Jan Stenerud and Ryan Longwell. Even after his down season, he's only 4 kicks off of Longwell's Packer average right now, and he's still ahead of Chris Jacke.

I think he'll be fine.
Pack93z
13 years ago
I think most of it is the timing of his misses.. either crucial points of the game.. or when the coach made a decision towards being conservative in nature and placing his confidence in Crosby.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Sounds like a coaching issue to me, Shawn.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I think most of it is the timing of his misses.. either crucial points of the game.. or when the coach made a decision towards being conservative in nature and placing his confidence in Crosby.

"pack93z" wrote:

This past season, he was 13 of 13 from 20-29. That bothers me a bit.

13 times we on the 13 or closer to the goal line and couldn't punch it in?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (9h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (11h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (13h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (13h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (13h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.