DGB454
  • DGB454
  • Registered Topic Starter
13 years ago

[quote="4PackGirl"] it's a decision that alot of unemployed people wish they could make.

"Porforis" wrote:

I kind of wish I had a better opportunity right now. My last day at work will be Wednesday. I've been at this place 15 years. Now I'm going to be looking for work again and I live in Michigan (no jobs here) with a son about to start College at Western Michigan University. My only opportunities are out of state. One very good opportunity just happens to be in Greenbay.I would be over 4 other designers. But... That means moving away from my son. I just can't bring myself to do that. I turned down the job so I could stay close to him.

Anyway. With your daughter being as young as she is it's the best time to move. Kids make friends fast. Once they become teens it's harder to pry them away from what they have become accustom too and the friends they have grown up with.
Pack93z
13 years ago

[quote="4PackGirl"] it's a decision that alot of unemployed people wish they could make.

"DGB454" wrote:

I kind of wish I had a better opportunity right now. My last day at work will be Wednesday. I've been at this place 15 years. Now I'm going to be looking for work again and I live in Michigan (no jobs here) with a son about to start College at Western Michigan University. My only opportunities are out of state. One very good opportunity just happens to be in Greenbay.I would be over 4 other designers. But... That means moving away from my son. I just can't bring myself to do that. I turned down the job so I could stay close to him.

Anyway. With your daughter being as young as she is it's the best time to move. Kids make friends fast. Once they become teens it's harder to pry them away from what they have become accustom too and the friends they have grown up with.

"Porforis" wrote:

Sorry to hear this news.. but I am happy for your son, I was wondering how that turned out. Playing ball?

Good luck on the job search.. I can completely understand your position.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
13 years ago

it's a decision that alot of unemployed people wish they could make.

"DGB454" wrote:

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Sorry to hear this news.. but I am happy for your son, I was wondering how that turned out. Playing ball?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DGB454
  • DGB454
13 years ago

it's a decision that alot of unemployed people wish they could make.

"pack93z" wrote:

"DGB454" wrote:

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Thanks Pack93z. My son has decided to give up football much to my dismay. There were 2 schools interested in him. One was Western and the other was Central Michigan University. Neither offered scholarships but both spoke to his coach about him and came to a game to watch him play. My son told his coach he wasn't interested in continuing on with the game into college. I think the last 2 seasons burned him out. He went through 2 bad coaches those seasons. He did however recieve a partial academic scholarship from Western that will pay for most of his education for the first 2 years. He graduated highschool number 2 in his class with a 4.06 GPA and scored high on his ACT test. I'm thrilled he chose Western. It is a great school and it's only 20 minutes down the road. That means he can live at home while attending.

Sorry Zero. I'm not trying to hijack this thread.
DGB454
  • DGB454
13 years ago
Just got off the phone with a company an hour north of me that is very interested in in hiring me as their design engineer. I have an interview the Friday after the holiday. The company I work for is offering me another position in the company locally or a severence package. I don't want to do the other position they offered but a job is a job. I need to give them an answer by next Wednesday before the Holiday. I have to either try and buy some time till after the interview or walk with the money.

I said all that to say this to Kevin. Look local first and do it before time runs out. If your company is offering any kind of severence package then this might be a good time to take the money and run.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Take the severance package and take the job up north. Double income! 🙂
UserPostedImage
DGB454
  • DGB454
13 years ago

Take the severance package and take the job up north. Double income! :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Thanks for breaking this out, I was afraid of taking over the last thread and that's not what I wanted to do. You have a big decision to make and so do I. They are both similar and I just wanted see if I could help by letting you know that I was also going through a big change in my life due to my employment situation.

As for me taking the money and running. I wish it was that easy. I have built up 15 years of pension in this company as well as putting money in my 401k. The 401k I can take with me. The pension I cant. I can freeze it until I retire however. There is no one out there that offers a pension any longer. In order for me to make it after retirement in 15 years I kind of need that pension. My first 19 years of work and building up a pension with a company was for nothing. The company went bust and the pension was gone thanks to a judge who decided that it was OK for a certain Ex-Pistons basketball player named Bill Lambeer to steal from it and only have to pay pennies on the dollar as a settlement. I get a grand total of 6 dollars a month for every year I put into that company when I retire.

Now I am left with a decision. Do I take the money and start over again at the age of 51? Or do I stick it out for another 15 years in a job I don't like and look forward to retiirig with a full 30 year pension and a 401k?

20 years ago the decision would be easy. Take the money and say the hell with a company that doesn't understand tha kind of money I generated for them the past 15 years. (Everything they run in that plant I designed.) At 51 however I tend to look more to the future and my eventual retirement.

Put it away when your young Kevin. Never trust a company because the bottom line is they don't give a crap about you or anyone else. It's all about money for them.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Take the severance package and take the job up north. Double income! :)

"DGB454" wrote:

Thanks for breaking this out, I was afraid of taking over the last thread and that's not what I wanted to do. You have a big decision to make and so do I. They are both similar and I just wanted see if I could help by letting you know that I was also going through a big change in my life due to my employment situation.

As for me taking the money and running. I wish it was that easy. I have built up 15 years of pension in this company as well as putting money in my 401k. The 401k I can take with me. The pension I cant. I can freeze it until I retire however. There is no one out there that offers a pension any longer. In order for me to make it after retirement in 15 years I kind of need that pension. My first 19 years of work and building up a pension with a company was for nothing. The company went bust and the pension was gone thanks to a judge who decided that it was OK for a certain Ex-Pistons basketball player named Bill Lambeer to steal from it and only have to pay pennies on the dollar as a settlement. I get a grand total of 6 dollars a month for every year I put into that company when I retire.

Now I am left with a decision. Do I take the money and start over again at the age of 51? Or do I stick it out for another 15 years in a job I don't like and look forward to retiirig with a full 30 year pension and a 401k?

20 years ago the decision would be easy. Take the money and say the hell with a company that doesn't understand tha kind of money I generated for them the past 15 years. (Everything they run in that plant I designed.) At 51 however I tend to look more to the future and my eventual retirement.

Put it away when your young Kevin. Never trust a company because the bottom line is they don't give a crap about you or anyone else. It's all about money for them.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

DGB454,

I feel for you. I imagine you have already thought of this, but have you thought about a sort of intermediate strategy. Plan to stay with the company in the job you hate for max 3-5 years, socking away as much extra as you can in the meantime. At the same time, make "enable the exit strategy" your top personal priority.

You owe an employer solid effort for your salary, but you don't have to share the employer's priorities. Use the shit job for the cash flow that finances making the well-deliberated "starting over" decision.

I guess what I'm saying is don't think of it as "severance package vs. pension." Instead, think of it as "which path maximizes what you can put together in years 4-15." I'd put the severance package up against that "shit job job cash flow for socking away and exit strategy."

Also, while there are no pensions out there anymore, there are still investments for your funds. I'm not saying you can (or should) become a compulsive user of Ameritrade; I'm only saying that you might consider using a few years of the shit job to finance your figuring out which is the best way to build up funds for retirement.

I have no idea what kind of severance package you've been offered. It's none of my business. But unless it's completely huge (as in multiple years of your salary), you're going to have to use it for household, current bills, etc., while you're looking for jobs, re-tooling, whatever. And that means relatively regular looking over your shoulder and maybe making big decisions too quickly or with too little information. If you use the shit job as continuing cash flow, though ...

Because I hate to say this, but given what it sounds like, I wouldn't count on "staying the course" guaranteeing that pension will be there in 15 years. The company has already proven it isn't interested in your well-being. And I'd never depend on the courts/guvmint to protect it either, as your experience already shows.

*They* say that pension will be there in 15 years. But *they* said that 15 years ago, too, did they not. And 15 years ago didn't have the fucked up political/economic outlook that today does.

For what it's worth, that's what I ultimately decided to do. My situation isn't quite like yours. It sounds like you have some marketable skills and a resume to sell; I just have useless degrees. I don't have the pension issue, but I do have the age issue (I'm 52, and what I consider a toxic work environment. And because of all those degrees, my 403(f) (or whatever the academic equiv of the 401(k) is, wasn't started until I was past 40.

I was lucky in one way; as a tenured faculty I could take a leave, albeit unpaid, and still have the job to come back to. And shortly after I started that leave, I knew I'd be coming back. But I came back not for the money, or not just for the money, but because I knew the job could serve the exit strategy. I used to think of my job and my calling as the same thing. It took the shit to make me realize that my job is not the calling, it's just a way to help finance it.

I struggled for a long time with the decision. I worried that I'd end up cutting corners on the job, become a slacker and do-the-minimum guy, to enable the exit strategy. But that hasn't been the case. If anything, I'm focused more on the high-value activities than I used to be. And since still provide sufficient value to school and students, I feel no ethical qualms about the "disloyalty" of having said strategy where it is on my priority list while I take the employer's salary. They're getting value far in excess of what they pay me.

Your boss has shown it's all about money for them. That means they have forfeited their right to anything more than you providing value to them at least as great as the money they pay you.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
13 years ago
Man....the you-know-what seems to be hitting the fan for alot of members here lately.
Losing a job sucks, especially when you have put 15 years in there. But that's the way of the world today. No one seems to apprerciate hard workers. They use you up, then cut you loose.
I never minded working. But i HATED looking for a job.
UserPostedImage
DGB454
  • DGB454
13 years ago
If the timing was a little better it would be easier to make the decision. I have to decide on a shift supervisors job with my current employer or take the severence by Wednesday. We are a union shop and I hate being a supervisor in union shops. I have an interview with another company doing what I love a week and a half later. If I take the supervisor job I forfiet the severence which amounts to about a years pay. Then there would be no point going to the interview.

If I take the severence then I could gamble on getting another job right away and have that years pay to pay off most of my debt. If I do that then I have some breathing room to get another job just in case this interview yields nothing,

I'm beginning to ramble on a bit....
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (12h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (12h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (12h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (12h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (12h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (15h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (19h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (19h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.