DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Today, Julie and I took our 6 year daughter for an MRI on her brain to rule out anything that might be causing her recent series of headaches. We received the worst possible news in that she has a tumor at the base of her brain near the spinal cord. It would explain her nausea and headaches and coordination problems. We won't know anymore about the prognosis until we get to Mayo.

What I don't understand is why things like this happen to absolutely innocent people. I don't have Cheesey's faith and beliefs, and I don't have Non's problem solving intellect. What I am is a person who has tried to live a good life and take my lumps where they come. I just didn't see this one coming and I'm at a loss on how to go about handling things. I definitely could use a little help from all of you in the prayer department.

We'll know more tomorrow about scheduling at Mayo. Sorry Formo, another trip to Minnesota and I won't be able to take you out for a beer.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
While reading that, I had the thought 'God is cruel' run through my head. It's devastating news and I feel bad for her.

I don't know what to say and I'm 100% ignorant on tumors, but if there's any chance she can come away from this with a clean bill of health, I sincerely hope it happens swiftly.

To answer your question, I don't understand it either. Sorry bud. 😞
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
13 years ago
My prayers are with you and your daughter. No one can explain why things happen, but believe me, prayer is a powerful source and I am sure things will turn out fine. Contrary to what many people say, the medical profession today can do miracles on stuff like this. Keep your faith and hopes up and things will turn out fine.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
13 years ago
i'd give you my answer but it may not be the sort of comfort or answer you are seeking, and i don't want to get into another "god vs no god" debate. however, i will tell you that my thoughts are with you...and my heart breaks for you.

this might console you at least a tiny bit: i recently had a co-worker, a few years ago, who fully recovered from spinal cancer--something which the doctors had little hope of happening. so, no matter what...don't give up hope.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Dakota,

I have no answer for you, I'm afraid. I could speak platitudes about God working in mysterious ways, yadda yadda yadda, but I won't. IMO sometimes God seems a right bastard. And this appears to be another such case. I do believe God has His reasons for everything, and I do believe He only gives us trials He knows we can handle, but in the end that's just blind faith on my part.

Because, in the end, I don't understand why He feels trials such as yours are necessary. As I said, it's times like these that He seems a right bastard.

Know that my prayers are with you, Julie, and above all, with your daughter.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
rabidgopher04
13 years ago

What I don't understand is why things like this happen to absolutely innocent people.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I speak entirely from a Christian perspective.

They happen because there is zero correlation between behavior and these types of incidences.

Conversely God doesn't "make it rain" for those who believe in him as some prosperity gospel preachers would (mis)lead you to believe.

You're given the gift of life, things happen, and you deal with them as best as you can knowing that this life isn't all that there is. It's unfortunate, it's painful, it's tragic, but it's not a punishment or the result of a cruel God. It just is.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I'm really sorry to hear that Dakota. You and your daughter will be in my thoughts.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Dakota.. I read this last night.. and ran away from it hastily because of my loss of words.. without a doubt your family is in my families prayers.

One recommendation to reach out for support is caringbridge . It may help you and the misses just as much as your daughter/s.

Now.. for the question. I don't know the answer, but I will tell you I hold about the same stance with God. I don't have the faith of some, I challenge the bible often yet I know I believe. Just not really sure I have belief in the human interpretation of bible and the rules set forth from it.

But I will share just a little, I was 15 when the accident took away my dreams, and for a couple of years I wandered through life with a nagging question when sitting in silence.. why me?

I grew up, was taught wrong from right, always went out of my way to live as a good human and never asked for much.. worked hard and was mindful of my parents. I failed to understand why I was chosen for my fate. It took some time for me to see it.

I finished high school struggling, abusing alcohol, esteem issues and a serious lack of confidence.. 2 years earlier, I could never have imagined that fate as I was the exact opposite. Borderline cocky even because I knew. because of sports, that I had a future ahead of me. Now I was at the mercy of my question.. and couldn't escape it.

I went to UWGB specifically because of the lack of football at the college (Ironic I know.. the Packers lurking in the background yet different).. hiding from demons. I was about my sophomore year at church there in GB that I was asked by a mother if I would speak to her son.. a young man whom lost his leg. I reluctantly agreed.. I wanted to say no because I knew I wasn't healed yet.. what could I offer him. Long story short.. we healed each other in the process... and my answer finally became clear.

For a couple of years, I talked individually and in group settings to youth by request.. it was therapeutic and centered my focus back on life.

My purpose of sharing this, which I don't do often, is this.. get past that as quick as you can and however you can. That nagging question... you will have no room for it going forward in this process.

I know it is easier said than done, heck it took me years to get past it.. but I only had myself to worry about.. I don't mean to sound cold.. more so hoping that the question doesn't consume or distract you.

All I know is that it sucks.. and it is a cruel hand to deal to a child.. but with a strong family you will take it head on and fight it fully.

I wish I had a better answer.. I wish that I could somehow help.. heck I would gladly taken the burden off such a young child with a full life ahead of them...

Just know this.. you have a great number of friends, quasi Packer family in your corner.. if there is anything we can do.. poise it and we will see what we can do.

Give your daughters and wife a hug for me.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Well, after a tearful night and not much sleep, Julie and I have accepted our plight and have come to grips with what we need to do going forward. We were contacted by Mayo today and appointments were scheduled for Monday and Tuesday to determine the appropriate care going forward. The Neurologist here in Bismarck told us that the tumor is operable, but follow up treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy will more than likely be needed to reduce or eliminate any remaining tissue. It is unknown at this time if there are cancer cells involved.

As for why this happening, I can't come up with a reason, but appreciate all of you that took the time to try and console me. God blessed Julie and I with three absolute angels to nuture, and even though one is danger, we will endure with faith, love, and a strong network of good friends and family to lean on.

Mia is my most special daughter, having lived with being the weaker of my twins but always maintaining a special spirit that shines most brightly.

Thank you all for your kindness and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

God Bless,
Dakota
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
13 years ago
You and your family are in my prayers, Dakota. The simplest comment I can make is that life is a beautiful gift, but it is also a huge crapshoot with no assurances given.

We are all faced with challenges in our lives, and this may be your biggest. Keep your faith in your family and yourself, and the fact that modern medicine can accomplish something close to miracles.

I wish you strength and resiliency to get through this incredibly difficult time.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13m) : 4th
Zero2Cool (27m) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (2h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (7h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (7h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (23h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

33m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.