zombieslayer
13 years ago
Good stuff, both of you.

I personally don't think we have any business with Israel. Germany exploited the Jews, not us. Let them pay for that problem. We shouldn't be involved.

Pack - I agree with you that the dependence of foreign oil has diminished a lot of our freedoms and have wrote about it many times on my blog. I have also offered alternatives.

Eisenhower built the Interstate system. JFK built the space program. I would love to see our generation break the dependence of foreign oil. It can be done.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
13 years ago
It can be done, using other fuels. But truth is, people like BinLaden will hate and want to kill us, either way. They don't like our way of life, or the God most of us worship.
People like that will come up with any excuse they can to give them the "right" to kill us. To make it the "right" thing to do, in their own minds.

How do you understand the mind of a madman?
Adolph Hitler came up with perfectly understandable reasons to wipe out the Jews, black people, and Polish people. They were lower on the evolutionary scale. Isn't that a good reason? (That was sarcasm, don't want ANYONE to think i think that's a good reason to murder) But to some, it WAS considered a good reason. But you have to think on the same level as Hitler to agree with that. And many people did just that. Just as there are those that follow Bib Laden and other nut cases around the world.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Good stuff, both of you.

I personally don't think we have any business with Israel. Germany exploited the Jews, not us. Let them pay for that problem. We shouldn't be involved.

Pack - I agree with you that the dependence of foreign oil has diminished a lot of our freedoms and have wrote about it many times on my blog. I have also offered alternatives.

Eisenhower built the Interstate system. JFK built the space program. I would love to see our generation break the dependence of foreign oil. It can be done.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

oil is important because:

(a) it is still the cheapest mass source of energy we have. When the price of oil goes up, people start to "discover" more and more ways to substitute other stuff.

(b) if is still the cheapest mass resource for a lot of the stuff we use every day, like the plastic in the keys on your keyboard or in your packaging or in your paint or....etc etc etc. When the price of oil goes up, people start to "discover" more and more ways to substitute other stuff.

If people want to reduce dependence on foreign oil, they should be applauding every increase in price of gas. Instead, we delay the inevitable and find way after way to keep the price low.

As to the OP on why Osama bin Laden hates the USA? Because he's a small minded goon whose only "skill" is preying on the fears of people. And preaching hate is an easy way to manipulate people's fears.

Take this "thousands of years of conflict over religion" argument that Shawn highlighted. (Or is it Shaun, I apologize, no one ever told me the correct spelling). It's a great metaphor for a lot of reasons. But one reason its great is that it justifies playing the fear card.

Osama can say, "they've been doing this to us for thousand of years". The israelis can do the same thing. And Saddam. And so can Qaddafy. And so can anyone else who wants to justify their morally reprehensible behavior based on fear ot "them."

Unfortunately, it's not so. Oh, sure, there have been wars between Christians and Muslims. Lots of them. Lots of atrocities, too. But if you look close at the history of "that part of the world" since, say, 1000 A.D., what you find is that "Christian v. Muslim" is just a subset of what's happened. And even the "Christian v. Muslim" part is only sometimes about religion.

Look at why dynasties and empires rose and fell, look at why trade occured and abated, look at why assasinations and wars and all the rest happened, and you discover the striking fact that Osama bin Laden shares much of the appalling historical ignorance about geopolitics with recent American political leadership on both sides of the political aisle.

Am I saying that American politicians are 'equivalent' to bin Laden? No. But if you hear someone claiming to be a "leader" relying on "thousands of years of religious conflict" to justify their actions/proposed actions, recognize that they are speaking out of ignorance and playing on your fears.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really don't care why bin Laden thinks what he does. The real question is why do people listen to him? And how do we stop people from listening to him.

And the only answer I can come up with, and I find it appallingly depressing because as a teacher of history I know a little bit about how nigh on impossible this is, is that we need to spend our time trying to get people to recognize that what is going on is not *about* religion at all, but about being captive of our fears and our historical ignorance.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
13 years ago
Wade said "The real question is why do people listen to him?"
GREAT point.
Sadly, there are MANY followers, that will follow a nut case like him. We see it throughout history.
UserPostedImage
alharrisdude31
13 years ago
all i know is them dam towelheads better not take over my plane when i go on vacation
porky88
13 years ago

I would love to see our generation break the dependence of foreign oil. It can be done.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I would hope you're young then because the current generation in office has no intentions of breaking off of foreign oil. It'll take another ten to twenty years.

As far as Osama. Sometimes a mad man is just a mad man.
Rockmolder
13 years ago
Osama has his reasons and if you can bring them in a certain way, you can get quite a following.

He's not some Captain Planet villain* who's evil just for the sake of being evil.

There's some history behind this, like people have been explaining before. Israel just being founded there. Western civilization backing Israel up in just about every situation. I can imagine that he's not exactly in love with the US and Europe.

Not that I agree with what he does, obviously.

*Remember? Stealing a giant oiltanker and running it smack into a beach, just to teach the baby seals a lesson and getting their behinds whooped by Captain Planet instead of selling the damn thing.
Pack93z
13 years ago

Osama has his reasons and if you can bring them in a certain way, you can get quite a following.

He's not some Captain Planet villain* who's evil just for the sake of being evil.

There's some history behind this, like people have been explaining before. Israel just being founded there. Western civilization backing Israel up in just about every situation. I can imagine that he's not exactly in love with the US and Europe.

Not that I agree with what he does, obviously.

*Remember? Stealing a giant oiltanker and running it smack into a beach, just to teach the baby seals a lesson and getting their behinds whooped by Captain Planet instead of selling the damn thing.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

This is exactly what I was getting at.. remove yourself from our sheltered life here and try to view it from their point of view.. we America on our own will decided to get involved in something that we had no business being in.. because of our need for the resources under the land.

Freshman year of college I was roomed in the apartment on campus with one gent from China, one from India, and a soccer player from Milwaukee.. I learned more sitting in the apartment speaking with the two gents from afar and their viewpoints of America than I could have learned in a semester of classes.. this was in the late 1990... it was eye opening just how we were viewed then.. I really wonder how different it would be now. Lets just say we, as a nation we not thought of very highly.. and it had nothing to do with we the people or what we did here.. it was exclusively foreign affairs.

Fast forward just about 16 years.. I joined this firm I work for now and had the pleasure of working with a guy from Pakistan.. he had been living here for about a decade.. he loved it here and the people. But he echoed the same view.. and he kept bringing up our Israel connections and the sacred land it is located upon.. to him the land and its history is what the hatred was based upon from their point of view. Holy land and we helped decide its fate..

I despise his actions and would have no problem ending him, even personally.. but I wonder how many thousands of innocent people we helped end for that black gold in that region.. a place we should have little say in at all.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
13 years ago
So....Israel has no right to be there? Who decides that?
What if somone says THEY have a "right" to "sacred land" in Mexico. Should we just stand by and let someone take it over, because it's none of our business?
When you talk to people who think they have a "right" to some piece of land that someone else lives on, what do you think they will say about someone that wants to help those that are protecting those on the land? Of course they are going to "hate" those people too.
All of it doesn't surprise me. The story hasn't changed from the days of the Bible. The Egyptions hate the Israelites. That will NEVER change.

As far as our dependence on foreign oil. You can thank the "tree huggers" that stopped all the oil drilling in the U.S. Drive across Texas sometime. You will be AMAZED at all the "dead" oil wells you will see. Fire those babies up, start drilling in Alaska, and we could supply alot of our OWN oil. Maybe not all we need, but enough to bring prices down to reasonable, and enough that IF the foreign countries tried to shut us off, that we could at least survive.
Now, we are at their mercy. Not a good place to be, in my view.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

All of it doesn't surprise me. The story hasn't changed from the days of the Bible. The Egyptions hate the Israelites. That will NEVER change.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Exactly.. and we are hated because we stepped into something that is not our fight and picked a side.

What if Russia or China were to say to us, either change the newly minted immigration law in Arizona for a abstract example or else face our armed forces.. how well do you think that would be received?

Now imagine they actually intervened there forces into the issue?

You don't think the majority of Americans would quickly hate them? You bet they would.

We had no business getting involved in that holy war that will probably never end..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.