Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99812519.html 

Green Bay When Donald Driver and team physician Patrick McKenzie met a few days after the season, their discussion centered on how Driver wanted the remainder of his career to play out.

At issue was the condition of Driver's left knee, which unknown to reporters, fans and most of his Green Bay Packers teammates had been causing him persistent sharp pain for the past three or four seasons.

"He said, 'If you can play through it the next couple years, then do it. You don't have to do it,' " Driver said of McKenzie's advice.

Play a couple years? Uh, not quite.

Driver intends to be going strong for a lot longer than that. So given the fact he was still a month shy of his 35th birthday, the decision was as simple for Driver as pivoting away from a slot defender on third and 4.

"A goal of mine is to play until I'm 40," Driver said. "I'm like, 'Look, I want to play longer. What's going to make me play longer?'

"He said, 'Get 'em done so you won't have to be in pain.' "

Driver's problem knee was the left, but he also had arthroscopy done on his right knee in 1996 shortly after competing in the U.S. Olympic Trials as a high jumper from Alcorn State. That had been his only previous surgery.

So Driver let McKenzie operate on both knees on the same day in mid-January.

"I guess you could say it was like cartilage," said Driver. "It was irritating. More when I planted. It gave you that sharp pain and then it went away."

In 1999, Driver could have written the book on how to make a National Football League roster as a seventh-round draft choice. One chapter would have been on staying out of the trainer's room.

Even as an elite player, Driver "stayed away," in his words, from the medical staff in recent years. About his only allowance for the knee was applying heat occasionally on game days.

Driver didn't take a snap during May or June. But he was back rockin' and rollin' Saturday afternoon, flitting across the field making difficult catches look routine and loving his life in the NFL's smallest city.

"Now I can go out there with no pain, having fun," he said Sunday. "I can run. I can cut. I don't feel it. Now that I've gotten them done I'm able to go back and play like I did in 2001, 2002, the early years."

What can't Driver do on the field today that he once could?

Pause. Longer pause.

"Nothing," said Driver. "I hear it all the time. Like, 'Last year he declined.' I did not decline last year at the end. I didn't get the opportunity. Everybody got the ball at the end of the season. I'm still playing the same way I did in '99."

Driver is quick to acknowledge that he did drop too many balls in 2009. But his average per catch of 15.2 yards was his best since 2002, evidence that the unwanted tag of "veteran possession receiver" doesn't apply to his game.

As Driver flashes his million-dollar smile preparing for what would be a seventh consecutive 1,000-yard season, he is dealing with an issue that could become even more troubling than a sore knee. Driver, the ultimate Packer, is in the final year of his contract and has received no indication from management that he'll be offered another deal.

Driver signed four contracts with the Packers when Andrew Brandt was negotiating for the club, and three times he and agent Jordan Woy were able to renegotiate the deals. His last time at the table was August 2007, when $11 million in new money was added and the average per year of the contract increased to $6.663 million.

Clearly, the Packers want to see how Driver recovers from the knee scopes. Now they will monitor him as well as Jordy Nelson and James Jones, both of whom have been praised by the coaches and are pressing for more significant roles.

"They have great players behind me," Driver said. "If they decided not to have me here and I left here and James and Jordy became 2 and 3, then that's fine. Greg (Jennings) would be the No. 1 guy and I would move on."

Driver says this with little emotion. In the next breath, he mentions his close relationship with Ted Thompson and his hopes for 2011 and beyond.

"My thing is, I want to finish my career here," he said. "I've built a great legacy here. I don't know if I'm disappointed yet. I don't think you get disappointed. You just sit back and let it play out."

Driver is shown a list of 32 names, the wide receivers drafted with him in 1999. Today, only Torry Holt (the first wideout taken), Brandon Stokley (No. 12) and Driver (No. 26) remain active from that draft. Driver also knows full well that Holt and Stokley are with their third teams.

"Of course I'm proud of it," Driver said of his beat-all-odds career. "It means you can become anything you want to be."

At this point, Holt and Stokley are just hanging on. Driver checks Holt's yardage (13,382 yard, 10th all-time), does quick mental calculations and isn't shy about letting you know what his future expectations are.

"I'd need four years to catch Torry and I'd be No. 10," said Driver, whose 9,050 yards rank 44th on the list. "That'd be big. Think that would get me in the Hall of Fame?"

James Lofton, the first great No. 80 in club history, is in Canton with 14,004 receiving yards. Driver needs 507 to surpass Lofton as the Packers' leader, but he also pointed out that if Lofton's career in Green Bay hadn't ended in disgrace in 1986, his friend probably would have established marks in Green Bay that never would have been equaled.

"That's what I want to do," said Driver, referring to records. "One day I'm hoping I can put up stats high enough that no one would ever break it in history. I want to win the Super Bowl. And when I'm done, I'm hoping my name is in the ring and no one ever wears No. 80 again."

Jermichael Finley, 23, walked up to Driver at practice over the weekend to let him know just how much he respects his zest for football at age 35.

Each day, Driver puts on his size-30 uniform pants (his body fat is just 3%), thanks the Lord for putting him where he is and goes out and out-hustles just about everyone on the field.

Jerry Rice played until he was 42. It would come as no shock if Driver did as well.

UserPostedImage
masseyattack
13 years ago
It's kind of alluded to in that article, that towards the end of the season Driver wasn't targeted as much with the emergence of Finley as the #2 threat behind Jennings in the passing game.

If Driver doesn't top 1,000 yards this season I wonder if he'll head for new pastures (or, perhaps more likely, the Packers won't re-sign him as Jones/Nelson would make decent, cheap, #2 WR, #3 options behind Jennings/Finley).
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If Driver gets 60 catches and 700 yards, he doesn't care ... he'll be happy he was part of a Super Bowl winning team.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

If Driver gets 60 catches and 700 yards, he doesn't care ... he'll be happy he was part of a Super Bowl winning team.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

:thumbright:

Will he make it to 40? Who knows? Rice had 1211 yards at 40. Reading between the lines from another article, it seems like Driver thinks he lost a step because of his knee. I hope so. I sincerely hope he can make it to 40.

Hall of Fame? Well, the problem is there are too many good WRs today. He'll need a pair of rings to even be considered. That said, go Pack! 😃
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Question, would Drive be okay being a 3?

Greg and Jordy starters and splitting time with Jones as the 3?
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I have a feeling Driver will have a big comeback this year.

zombie, did you mean to say "Driver thinks he has not lost a step..."?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
13 years ago
I hadn't realized that his contract was up at the end of this season. He really could end up somewhere else. I would hate to see that, but it's possible.
blank
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I would be more worried about Jordy and/or Jones. I think most teams would look at them as more desireable because of age. Also, I think the Packers will take care of Driver. Driver and the Packers know he wants to play, there's not big question mark like we went through with Favre.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
dhpackr
13 years ago
IMO DD will have a huge year, and it will be his last as a packer
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
TheEngineer
13 years ago
I kinda got the impression the Packers aren't that willing to re-sign him. Did Driver ask for an extension a year or two back and got knocked back? I don't recall.

If this contract isn't his last, then I'd imagine he'd be relegated to running as the slot receiver only with his 2/3 year extension or whatever he could get, will be his last. I think Thompson and Robinson want Nelson and Jones to move up to the next step.
blank
Fan Shout
dhazer (2h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (3h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (19h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (22h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (23h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.