yooperfan
13 years ago
Ted Thompson discussing the draft: " If you want a left tackle, you draft a left tackle."

So the Packers need a left tackle to replace an old broken down left tackle and they draft one in the 1st round.
Now they are playing him at left guard when it is a given that Cliffy won't last the entire season?
So then we go back to musical chairs.
I don't think that this coaching staff knows how to develop an offensive line.
dfosterf
13 years ago
Well, maybe not, but they are getting one thing right, Yooper.

I did the math, and discovered that if Bulaga is playing left guard-

That would mean that Colledge isn't.

That's progress ! It's only taken them almost half a decade to figure that one out, lol
gbguy20
13 years ago

Ted Thompson discussing the draft: " If you want a left tackle, you draft a left tackle."

So the Packers need a left tackle to replace an old broken down left tackle and they draft one in the 1st round.
Now they are playing him at left guard when it is a given that Cliffy won't last the entire season?
So then we go back to musical chairs.
I don't think that this coaching staff knows how to develop an offensive line.

"yooperfan" wrote:

this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the situation. would be nice to keep everyone in 1 spot this season but i guess our coaching staff still hasn't learned.
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Don't quite a few LTs start the NFL level playing LG?
UserPostedImage
BangTheDrum
13 years ago

I would rather him just practice as a LT. I'm tired of our coaches always shifting our linemen around thinking it is making our line better, but in fact, IMO, it is making them worse. Linemen need to not only be comfortable at their position, but also with the men next to him. Neither of which can be achieved with all the position switching that has taken place over the years.

"porky88" wrote:

When you look up and down at the guys, only Colledge has really suffered from being shifted around. I don't think it's fair to assume that it'll hurt the team if they move Bulaga around at LG and LT. If he can take it, then he'll be fine. Colledge couldn't take it. In my opinion, Bulaga can.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

I think it's more a matter of grooming him as our next stud LT because it wont be long til Tausch probably goes down or can't handle it anymore, I'm all for the best players playing right now though.
UserPostedImage
Ba da da, Ba dadada GO PACK GO
porky88
13 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Tackles can play guard. Guards normally can't play tackle. There are probably more cases of Bulaga succeeding than a guy like Colledge. Barbre and Colledge were never tackles. They're always guards. They can't play the tackle position. Bulaga can IMO, which means his transition will be more smooth. Personally, people are all of a sudden worried about this because Colledge came out and said it hurt his development. I think other factors played a bigger role. He was making an excuse. GB is not the only team to shuffle guys around.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I am all for getting Bulaga real time in a game, learning the guards responsibilities and pushing Colledge. All to prepare him for taking over at Tackle when we need him to.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

Tackles can play guard. Guards normally can't play tackle. There are probably more cases of Bulaga succeeding than a guy like Colledge. Barbre and Colledge were never tackles. They're always guards. They can't play the tackle position. Bulaga can IMO, which means his transition will be more smooth. Personally, people are all of a sudden worried about this because Colledge came out and said it hurt his development. I think other factors played a bigger role. He was making an excuse. GB is not the only team to shuffle guys around.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Colledge was rated third-best tackle in college football by ESPN. The Packers moved him to Guard after a career of playing Left Tackle in college.

Edit, relating to the last part, coaches said moving him around "didn't do him any favors" and then the question was posed to Daryn who did not dispute it.

I'm not trying to defend Daryn, just getting the facts out there, that's all. I think Daryn is a lost cause. I wouldn't mind seeing him traded for a 6th round pick or even a returner of some flavor. I'd actually rather see TJ Lang at LG than Daryn.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

I believe many are missing the point.

On the 45 player game day roster allows for 2 or 3 substitutes. If there are needs elsewhere there may be only 2 active replacements.

Bulaga has to be able to play multiple positions if he expects to be on the game day roster. He has to get some experience at LG. Additionally the experience at LG will also help him understand what his teammates duties are when he is a LT.

He will be a better player in the long run because of this experience. It also gives him an extra challenge to keep him from becoming complacent.

It also works on the psychology of Clifton respecting him as the veteran starter and the psychology of Colledge giving him another competitor.

It is all for the good.

"CaliforniaCheez" wrote:

This is a very good point, and Porky has also made some good points. I like this move better now than I did before I started this thread.
blank
porky88
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"porky88" wrote:

Colledge was rated third-best tackle in college football by ESPN. The Packers moved him to Guard after a career of playing Left Tackle in college.

Edit, relating to the last part, coaches said moving him around "didn't do him any favors" and then the question was posed to Daryn who did not dispute it.

I'm not trying to defend Daryn, just getting the facts out there, that's all. I think Daryn is a lost cause. I wouldn't mind seeing him traded for a 6th round pick or even a returner of some flavor. I'd actually rather see TJ Lang at LG than Daryn.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I think ESPN had that one wrong there.

Putting Colledge aside here, I just think people are overreacting to this because of Colledge. That's not fair to Bulaga, who came out superior than what Colledge did. I truly think Bulaga is better right now. If it's really an open competition, Bulaga will win the job IMO.

If you look back at what I wrote about Bulaga, I was very high on him, so I have all kinds of confidence in him. He knows the position right now. He needs to overcome the mental aspect of the game and his short arms. It's not so much that I want Colledge not out there, but I want Bulaga on the field. He's just too good to keep on the bench for a season.