TheEngineer
13 years ago

Packers confident Flynn has what it takes 

By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

UserPostedImage

Green Bay The Green Bay Packers have heard the howls and storm warnings from fans about signing a veteran backup quarterback ever since Matt Flynn claimed the No. 2 job in August 2008.

If general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy listened, they certainly didn't respond. In Flynn, they trust.

"I like him, I like that guy," McCarthy said this week. "Was he as good as everybody thought he was last year? No. But I was excited about his ability to grow. And the guy's better this year than last year."

Maybe you think the Packers' brain trust is somewhere out in left field on this one. Maybe you think McCarthy is just blowing smoke. Maybe, in his private moments, he wonders what in God's name would happen if Aaron Rodgers really did go down.

"You never know until it happens," the offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin, said of the Packers' chances with Flynn. "We'll see. But I like his energy and I like his take-charge attitude."

Perhaps it's because he started just one year in college. Maybe it's his status as a seventh-round draft choice. Or possibly the fact he has never been a great practice player has created this negative perception.

If that perception of Flynn is fairly common in Wisconsin, it isn't shared by some personnel people for other National Football League teams.

"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.

"Colt McCoy isn't as good as Flynn. In fact, if you threw him in, I'm not so sure that in two or three years he wouldn't be every bit as good as Tony Romo. Maybe better. They said he didn't have a big arm but all he did was win a national championship. He's smart and he's tough, and when he came out he was a high 4.6 (40-yard dash guy) guy."

That scout tried to sell Flynn to the decision-makers in his organization before the 2008 draft but "couldn't get to first base. I absolutely loved the kid."

A personnel man for another NFL club brought up Flynn's name in conversation about a year before that. His message was almost exactly the same: If he ever became a general manager he'd be trading for Flynn.

"I wanted to draft him, but we didn't do anything about it," the scout said. "Look. That guy is the next Mark Brunell. They will get a high pick for him some day."

Just like Ty Detmer, Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks and Rodgers before him, Flynn has had time to assimilate the NFL game without having to play prematurely. He's bright, industrious and well-coached, as were most of his predecessors.

"This is a big preseason for me," said Flynn, whose four-year contract has two years remaining. "I really don't want to think about that until after my third year. I love it here in Green Bay. I don't know what's going to happen."

All anyone from beyond the Packers' practice field has to go by is tape of Flynn throwing 17 passes in the regular season and playing in six exhibition games.

In 2008, Flynn played so well in training camp and exhibition games (100.2 passer rating) that McCarthy-Thompson had to swallow their pride and put him ahead of Brian Brohm, their second-round pick.

Last summer, when Brohm was given every possible chance to prove himself and instead played himself out of town, Flynn played less than a half in two exhibition games before a bruised shoulder stopped him from taking a snap in the last two.

In other words, Flynn hasn't played much since his high school days in Tyler, Texas. He sat behind JaMarcus Russell for four years at Louisiana State before starting 12 games for the national titlists in '07.

When Flynn has one of his very mediocre practices, and there have been some in the first 10 days, the Packers remember that he's long been known as a "gamer" and consider his supporting cast.

"We've had a couple days where his percentage has been down," said McCarthy. "But those second and third quarterbacks, I'm not making excuses for them, but they're as much a product of who they're in there with, too, sometimes. That's tough sleddin'."

Flynn understands what it's like for his fellow offensive backups as they fight mental fatigue during the installation phase of camp. He expects the backups to become more productive soon because installations end this week.

"Now I understand why we're doing things instead of just memorizing plays," said Flynn. "Now that I have the offense down so well I can kind of go up to the line and listen and pay more attention to what the defense is doing, kind of like Aaron does. I think I've had a pretty good camp so far."

When Flynn wasn't working out in Green Bay during the off-season he was working out with former teammates and coaches at LSU. They let him know that his arm is stronger, which he attributes to footwork and maturity.

"All you can ask for is a chance," Flynn said. "That's my goal, to be a starter."

Wow. That are some seriously high praise.

Still though, I'm not all that sold on Flynn to backup. Wasn't there a game that he came in, played a couple of snaps, threw an interception and was promptly replaced with Rodgers?
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

Still though, I'm not all that sold on Flynn to backup. Wasn't there a game that he came in, played a couple of snaps, threw an interception and was promptly replaced with Rodgers?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I don't remember anything like that happening.

I was amazed to hear these scouts give such high praise for Flynn. I hope we get a better look at him in the preseason this year.
blank
lolleren
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

I don't remember anything like that happening.

I was amazed to hear these scouts give such high praise for Flynn. I hope we get a better look at him in the preseason this year.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I seem to remember Rodgers coming off the field for some snaps due to a shoulder thing? Flynn got a few plays and the rodgers returned and threw an intercepion. Its close to the scenario.
blank
wamj2008
13 years ago
I believe it was when Rodgers hurt his shoulder against Atlanta in 2008. Flynn played a series or two and the offense went nowhere.

This article reads like an Onion article. I had to wonder if they were serious with all this praise for Matt Flynn.
blank
peteralan71
13 years ago
From where I sit, it really seems like they are saying these things about Flynn to stroke him a little. I agree with Greg C. in that I don't know how comfortable I'd be with having Flynn come in for the backup. I wouldn't mind picking up a free agent veteran, but looking at the list, there isn't much out there. Keep our eyes open, and don't be blinded up hard-headedness, be wiling to make a change if it is needed.
That being said, I'd like to add in that I believe Ted Thompson has done an incredible job bringing this organization together. I think that he certainly knows what he is doing, it's just a little difficult to think that Flynn is the best hope we have for backup to Aaron Rodgers.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
I like him. I think he can move the team downfield. It's just a "sense" of mine, but I have certainly seen the ones that did not give me that "sense" over the years, and I compare him to that. I couldn't care less what round he was drafted in. I will trust this brain trust on QB's.

O linemen, not so much. :tongue3:

Bulaga was probably some sort of accident, lol
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I thought it was in the Tampa Bay game that Rodgers came out for a series and then returned. I'd have to check the play-by-play.
UserPostedImage
lolleren
13 years ago

I thought it was in the Tampa Bay game that Rodgers came out for a series and then returned. I'd have to check the play-by-play.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

i think you are right.
blank
wamj2008
13 years ago
Yeah, my bad. I think you are correct about it being TB.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

I agree with Greg C. in that I don't know how comfortable I'd be with having Flynn come in for the backup.

"peteralan71" wrote:

I didn't say anything like that. I just said that I hope we get a better look at him in the preseason this year. I was referring to the fact that he missed most of the preseason with an injury last year. I'm okay with Flynn.

And yes, it was against Tampa Bay two years ago that Flynn came in as a backup for a couple of series. The offense went nowhere, but he didn't throw an interception.
blank
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (1h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (6h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (8h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (11h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (11h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (11h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (11h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (12h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (23h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.