Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers says avoiding interceptions 'a mindset' 
BY KAREEM COPELAND KCOPELAND@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM AUGUST 19, 2010

Aaron Rodgers hates throwing interceptions. No, really. The Green Bay Packers quarterback absolutely despises turning the ball over.

If you take away the two Tampa games from the last two years, Ive been very good with the ball, Rodgers said Thursday. Thankfully, we dont play them this year, so that might take off three from my season total.

I honestly think its a mindset. I havent turned the ball over in excess since my freshman year of football.

By freshman year, Rodgers was talking about high school. The six-year NFL veteran then rattled off his interceptions, by year, from his sophomore season of high school (1999) through leaving the University of California as a junior (2004). Off the top of his head.

Eight.

Nine.

Six.

Four.

Five.

Eight.

I dont like throwing interceptions, I like throwing touchdowns, Rodgers said.

Rodgers was asked how many NFL quarterbacks could recite their statistics going back to high school?

Fortunately, I have a mind of often meaningless information that I can recall quickly, Rodgers joked.

Rodgers, who threw 13 and seven interceptions in his first two seasons as an NFL starter, labeled turnovers as the point of emphasis for the offense against Seattle on Saturday night. The team posted three turnovers in the preseason-opening 27-24 loss to Cleveland last week. One was a rare Ryan Grant fumble. Backup quarterback Matt Flynn was picked off as time expired in the second quarter on a Hail Mary attempt. And Sam Shields lost a fumble when he muffed a punt in the second quarter.

Our offense is based around getting in a steady rhythm with the play-calling, with the passing game and the checks at the line of scrimmage, Rodgers said. If we can do that early on in Seattle and carry that through the 20 to 25 plays were going to get, thatll be a big positive for the first group.

More Than Four

Atari Bigby had ankle surgery in Charlotte, N.C., on Aug. 6 and said he might need eight weeks to recover.

Ive been hearing from four weeks to eight weeks, but I think Im doing pretty good right now, Bigby said. Im walking around fine. Ive got to get it a little bit stronger, but well see what happens.

After missing all of the offseason workouts (unsigned contract) and all of training camp (ankle), Bigby could wind up on the physically unable to perform list, leaving him inactive for the first six weeks of the season.

That would be disappointing, Bigby said. Very disappointing. Extremely.

Dr. Robert Anderson performed the surgery to remove scar tissue that was restricting Bigbys motion. He is scheduled to have the stitches removed in a couple days, allowing for the next stage of rehab.

Third-round pick Morgan Burnett will likely begin the season as the starting safety opposite Nick Collins.

Baby On Board

Red flags went up when defensive end Justin Harrell missed both practices Tuesday because of tightness in his back. The No. 16 overall pick of the 2007 draft has played in just 13 games because of chronic back injuries that required two surgeries.

Harrell missed both workouts on Thursday, but not because of the injury, according to coach Mike McCarthy. Harrells wife, Barbie, underwent an emergency Caesarean section while giving birth.

McCarthy didnt say when he would return.

Ready For The End

The Packers have completed 19 training camp practices and Thursday was the final two-a-day of camp. The team moved out of the dorms at St. Norbert College on Wednesday and there are five training camp practices remaining.

Tight end Jermichael Finley wishes they were done now.

Its just one of those things where you get a little tired, Finley said. You get tired of those two-a-days. Im just ready to get rolling with the regular season, to tell you the truth. Preseason is more for learning curves. I liked it when I was learning, (but) now that Im full speed Just ready to get rolling.

The preseason, I think they need to cut it down. Seriously. Four games, its kind of draining because then we have to go through a 16-game season. Thats pretty hectic itself.

Questionable

Inside linebacker A.J. Hawk sprained an ankle during the morning session and did not participate in the evening. McCarthy said he would be evaluated by doctors today to determine whether he will be available Saturday.

Knowing A.J., hell want to go, so well see how he feels in the morning, McCarthy said.

Tidbit

McCarthy expects the starters to get about 20-25 plays against Seattle. The Packers entered the Cleveland with a similar estimation.

Some positions (will be) different, just based on the health of it, McCarthy said.

Rob Demovsky/Press-Gazette

As the good folks over at Cold Hard Football Facts have shown, the most important thing a quarterback can do is not throwing touchdowns (sorry, Zombieslayer) but rather not throwing interceptions. The avoidance of turnovers is far more a predictor of success than the throwing of touchdowns. People frequently criticize Rodgers for taking too many sacks -- and I agree that he should try to find a way to reduce his sack count -- but a sack only damages field position. A turnover surrenders possession.

And as for Atari Bigby . . . all I have to say is the idiot should have had his knee cleaned out months ago, instead of waiting until after he got to camp. Can we please put a fork in the Bigby experiment already?
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
13 years ago
J-Fin on training camp... " I liked it when I was learning" Glad he isn't learning anything anymore 😉
TheEngineer
13 years ago
Yeah.. it's a bit early for Finley to proclaim that he no longer derives any value from training camp and preseason. Just look at how Rodgers approaches the game, always something new to work on and to keep working hard.

Here's one for you Jermichael. How about practising blocking, since you didn't really get all that much practice at it this offseason, yeah?
blank
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I looked at the thread title and said "no shit?"

But then I thought maybe everyone doesn't hate throwing them... like Delhomme for example.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Some quarterbacks don't seem to mind one way or the other. They're "just trying to make a play."
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

And as for Atari Bigby . . . all I have to say is the idiot should have had his knee cleaned out months ago, instead of waiting until after he got to camp. Can we please put a fork in the Bigby experiment already?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I believe it was his ankle. And I don't believe we should get rid of Bigby quite yet. If he can get back in '07 form, that would be great.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Sorry, I meant ankle. I was typing without my contacts this morning (and I am completely blind without them in), so I didn't bother to go back and proof my posts like I normally do. I'm starting to notice a lot of typos and mistakes I made in those posts.
UserPostedImage
Cuz481
13 years ago
Shouldn't all quarterbacks hate to throw interceptions?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
You'd think.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I looked at the thread title and said "no shit?"

But then I thought maybe everyone doesn't hate throwing them... like Delhomme for example.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

"I'm going to throw some this year," Cutler said Wednesday on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "I'm not going to lie about that."

"There are going to be some balls that are picked off," - Jay Cutler
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (18h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.