cheeseheads123
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/101354559.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=packers 

Green Bay When the Green Bay Packers linebackers return from an off day, they enter the building with no preconceptions of how things will be.

Yesterday's backup right outside linebacker could very well be today's starting nickel inside backer.

Upon returning to practice Monday night, they discovered the shuffle was on again. This time, there were three major changes:

Undrafted rookie free agent Frank Zombo, the new love of assistant coach Kevin Greene's football life, was starting at right outside linebacker ahead of Brandon Chillar and the injured Brad Jones (shoulder).

Chillar, who was moved to outside linebacker a week into camp, was shifted back inside to the nickel position he played much of last year.

Desmond Bishop, the guy usually on the losing end of the proposition, was dropped from the inside nickel spot and now probably ranks third behind Chillar and injured A.J. Hawk (ankle).

"Nothing surprises me anymore," Chillar said after practice. "I just do whatever they tell me to do. I just work here."

Bishop, a fan favorite who broke into the nickel spot ahead of Hawk early in camp, found himself in a familiar position - out of the mix. In his fourth year, Bishop can't seem to find a way to get on the field, and his frustration is close to boiling over.

The usually talkative linebacker said "no comment" before he was even asked a question. He admitted later to being extremely frustrated but not totally surprised by his demotion.

"I always knew it was a possibility," he said of being removed from the nickel. "That's why I didn't really (play it up). I didn't know how permanent it was. I was hoping, I was praying, I was wishing it was."

Bishop, who has hinted before that he might ask for a trade. said he didn't know what his next move would be. He said he didn't think the switch was made because of performance, but he wouldn't elaborate.

As Bishop was lamenting his latest setback, Zombo was pinching himself over the fact he'll probably be starting at right outside linebacker in a nationally televised game Thursday night against the Indianapolis Colts. The 6-3, 254-pound former defensive end from Temple has shot up the charts the last two weeks with strong play in practice and the games.

"If you had asked me a year ago if in the third preseason game I'd be starting, I would have said no way," Zombo said. "This opportunity is pretty overwhelming."

Zombo, who was given a $3,500 signing bonus, is the last of three undrafted defensive linemen the Packers brought in to try out as pass-rushing outside linebackers. Tim Knicky and John Russell, the other two, didn't make it to training camp, and Zombo found himself in trouble when on the fifth day of practice he sprained his ankle, causing him to miss six practices, including the intrasquad scrimmage.

Upon his return, however, he played with abandon and quickly became Greene's pet project. In the opener against Cleveland, he walked the left tackle back into quarterback Colt McCoy, forcing an interception to safety Derrick Martin.

Then against Seattle Saturday, he replaced Chillar at right outside linebacker in the third quarter and had a team-high five tackles, including a 3-yard sack of quarterback Charlie Whitehurst off an outside rush against reserve tackle Joe Toledo.

As impressive was Zombo tackling receiver Deon Butler 21 yards downfield and throwing a shoulder into tight end Cameron Morrah that allowed teammate Spencer Havner a few more return yards after a fourth-quarter interception.

"He brings the physicality that you're looking for as an outside linebacker," coach Mike McCarthy said. "Everything we start with is speed to power on the rush and how you want to play the runs and so forth. I think he's done a very good job with that.

"High-effort player. Tough kid. Played through injuries. He's had a nice camp so far. He's earned every rep that he's been given, and we want to increase his opportunities and see what he can do."

Zombo is expected to start Thursday in place of Jones, who appears to have won the right outside position job for the regular season now that Chillar has been moved. Then again, he could come to work next week and find Zombo in his seat.

Hawk, meanwhile, was playing well in practice at the nickel position but gave up a touchdown against Cleveland, probably causing enough concern to move Chillar back inside on passing downs. Hawk only practiced with the scout team Monday, which is a pretty good sign he'll be held out against the Colts.

For his part, Chillar doesn't know if he'll ever play outside linebacker again.

"I have no idea," he said. "We've got some good tight ends coming up, too, so that's what I've gotten used to in the past, that's what we've done in the past. I just walked in and they said we're going to get you some reps inside. I feel comfortable doing everything by now in this defense, so it kind of really doesn't even matter."

What do we do with Bishop? I have always been a big fan of his but after all of his recent comments it seems like he doesn't want to be here.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
13 years ago
That's quite a jump up. Not many fans know his name but if he continues to impress they will soon. But perhaps a bit too soon. Does this guarantee him a roster spot then?
blank
British
13 years ago

That's quite a jump up. Not many fans know his name but if he continues to impress they will soon. But perhaps a bit too soon. Does this guarantee him a roster spot then?

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Seems like we have a huge hole at the bottom of the LB depth chert.

There won't be any tough cuts there, if anything Zombo's greatest threat comes from better OLBs being cut from other teams.

It should be interesting to see him line up against the 1s on Thursday.
UserPostedImage
RainX
13 years ago
Bishop just needs to sit back and bide his time. With Hawk's contract situation after this season, he might not be back next year which might promote Bishop to the starting lineup. Plus injuries happen so he'll get his chance eventually.
blank
13 years ago
I can't say I'm not relieved to hear the Chillar OLB experiment is over. I don't think they gave him enough time to prepare for the job. It would have been a hard enough task given his size and experience. At least he's available for emergency duty.

Zombo instantly becomes the best football name on the roster. "On the sack... ZOMBOOOOOOO!!!" I can hear it now.
UserPostedImage
alharrisdude31
13 years ago
lets just hope hes here to stay, and clean too unlike spencer havner
beast
13 years ago
I'm not sure Zombo is starting over Chillar ...
Chillar is still starting... just at ILB. (right?)
My guess is they just want to get Chillar time at both.
But if anything it's Zombo over Bishop
(which pisses Bishop off).

I wouldn't be totally against trading Bishop seeing as he's not going to want to resign with the Packers unless he gets a good amount of playing time and the final year of his contract.

If the agree to a new CBA agreement where he's a FA he's gone.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

Zombo instantly becomes the best football name on the roster. "On the sack... ZOMBOOOOOOO!!!" I can hear it now.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Don't forget we still have Atari Bigby. If you are named after a video game system that was named for the Japanese word for "Attack!", that's pretty hard to beat.
gbguy20
13 years ago
musical chairs at linebacker...i guess that's better than at offensive line like last year
13 years ago

musical chairs at linebacker...i guess that's better than at offensive line like last year

"gbguy20" wrote:

Three of our four projected starters are out, so... yeah.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.