13 years ago

I hope Mike McCarthy drills it into these guys' heads that there is still a lot of work to do.

This team in the past, ( 2009 pre season, and the meaningless week 17 game vs Arizona last year) has not dealt with artificial success well.

We saw how flat they came out to start the season last year, and Charles Woodson said they went into the playoff game overconfident, based on their week 17 performance.

I have little doubt that the offense is going to be very productive this year, but I still have concerns about the defense, and obviously the special teams.

This team has been the victim of false bravado at times. I hope they've learned their lesson from last years reality checks.

"IronMan" wrote:

Hey, what do you know? An entire article written on that very subject!
This time, confidence is real for Packers 
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

I never had so much fun watching a preseason game.

"Greg C." wrote:

i said the same thing in chat last night.

before i give any of my real thoughts i would just like to say i literally lol'ed when Gruden described Rodgers as "That wily old vet"! wtf! after 2 years you're a wily old vet? hahaha. i also lol'ed at how much Gruden seems to love Rodgers, because please...there's enough rimjobbing for Peyton, Brees and Fa--uh--that other guy going around these days. he kept calling Rodgers an elite quarterback, got in a lil' debate about it, accepted that Jaws was right (about being elite once he has some jewelry) and then just totally ignoring that concession and calling him elite about 15 minutes later. ::lol:

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

wamj2008
13 years ago
I agree. It is only preseason. Yes it's exciting to see them play well, but remember the third game against AZ last year. It'll be even better when they pull this off in the regular season.

I feel a helluva lot better about this defense now. Sure we gave up 17 in the first half, but it's the Colts. Hello. As long as they can get enough stops for the offense to put up a few more TD's, it's going to be a good year.
blank
Since69
13 years ago

Pat Lee should go before Bush.

"dhpackr" wrote:

no, do not agree, IMO Bush will be cut this season.

"tromadz" wrote:

I agree with trom. Lee has shown nothing. Bush has more value as a backup since he can also play some safety in a pinch.
UserPostedImage
olds70supreme
13 years ago
The biggest thing I noticed was that there were few (if any) penalties on the Packers. When the flag was thrown on the punt return for a TD I thought for sure it was coming back, given the track record for the past few years on big special teams plays. Otherwise:

It seemed like Rodgers did well, but it did seem like he overthrew/missed a few open guys early.

I was surprised how well our second team offense moved the ball vs their first team defense.

Nick Collins had a few nice breakups again.

Jermichael Finley had damn well better be wearing extra padding on his back, with as many spear-helmet shots he took.

Anybody else notice Bob Sanders' helmet to helmet hit on Grant early? The announcers were crowing about how awesome a hit it was, nobody mentioned it was illegal. I'm hoping it didn't mess Grant up given he recently had a concussion.
blank
13 years ago

It seemed like Rodgers did well, but it did seem like he overthrew/missed a few open guys early.

"olds70supreme" wrote:

yeah, his rhythm was definitely a little shaky early on, but my god did he make up for it during that 2:00 "drill". that was amazing. Cool Hand Luke!

I was surprised how well our second team offense moved the ball vs their first team defense.

i know, right? i said last night that i think that was Flynn's best drive ever. he's definitely getting better, and it even seems like i can see some emulation of Rodgers there...which likely is more of a result of McCarthy's coaching...which makes me respect McCarthy even more.

Nick Collins had a few nice breakups again.

y'know, Collins was p. good, but how about Burnett? every time the rest of the defense was scrambling around looking like the goddamn three stooges it was always Burnett who finally seemed to say "ok then I'LL fucking tackle him!" not to mention the INT, and the earlier near-INT.

Jermichael Finley had damn well better be wearing extra padding on his back, with as many spear-helmet shots he took.

i thought the same thing, and i'm pretty sure i saw padding on his back the next time he got hit. he didn't seem very bothered by the hits, so hopefully he's protected there.

Anybody else notice Bob Sanders' helmet to helmet hit on Grant early? The announcers were crowing about how awesome a hit it was, nobody mentioned it was illegal. I'm hoping it didn't mess Grant up given he recently had a concussion.

yes, i did. on one hand i hate seeing the NFL get more and more pussified each year, but on the other hand that was pretty blatant and dangerous. Grant definitely noticed it too...haha, he looked pretty pissed afterwords.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Since69
13 years ago

This team has been the victim of false bravado at times. I hope they've learned their lesson from last years reality checks.

"IronMan" wrote:

Young teams tend to do that. It's the coach's job to keep them grounded.

OK, my baker's dozen:

1. We got consistent push from our front 3. I love it when we don't have to blitz to get pressure.
2. Who the hell is Jason Chery? Why haven't we seen him before? I'd be OK with keeping him as a 6th WR based solely on return ability...
3. Morgan Burnett is better than Atari Bigby right now.
4. I know the Rodgers/Finley thing has been done to death, but... wow! 12 TDs for Finley this year.
5. Masthay had a great punt, but there's a lot more to punting than kicking it hard. If there weren't, we'd still have Josh Bidwell.
6. Our run defense looked very good, but our tackling was awful at times.
7. James Jones won the #3 WR job tonight.
8. I think Donald Lee is gone. We'll go with Finley, Quarless and Havner as a 3rd TE/3rd FB.
9. Speaking of fullback, I think Korey Hall is gone. I love the kid, but I don't see us keeping him and Johnson and Kuhn.
10. Love Frank Zombo. I'd love to see him starting opposite CM3.
11. I was impressed with Flynn tonight. He got better play from the o-line 2nds than he had before, and that probably had a lot to do with it. He'll be fine as a backup.
12. Good to see fewer penalties - only 2 or 3 if IIRC...
13. It's hard to find regular-season relevance in pre-season games, but dammit that was fun to watch... :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago
I post some of my thoughts in the other thread during the third quarter and I wouldn't say anything else much different now. I would like to add that I lol'd at Gruden referring to Grant as Dorsey Levens. He's still stuck in his Packer days. Also, loved the elite qb conversation but wished Gruden or someone would have asked Jaws how much jewelry Marino had.
Born and bred a cheesehead
olds70supreme
13 years ago

y'know, Collins was p. good, but how about Burnett? every time the rest of the defense was scrambling around looking like the goddamn three stooges it was always Burnett who finally seemed to say "ok then I'LL fucking tackle him!" not to mention the INT, and the earlier near-INT.

Agreed, it seems like Burnett is the real deal, solid game throughout with flashes of big play ability.

I would like to add that I lol'd at Gruden referring to Grant as Dorsey Levens.

Haha, the only thing funnier than that was the awkward silence as everybody realized what he said but couldn't think of a nice way to correct it. If the camera had been on the booth at that moment it would have made for some priceless facial expressions.
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago
The only thing I took away from this game is that Peyton Manning is just as big of a pussy in pre-season when he screws up, as in the Super Bowl. No reason at all for him to play a series in the 3rd quarter, but he must of had something to prove? He must have been an overindulged child or something. I can't stand him or his brother, regardless of their outstanging abilities and football aclimen.

His poutface is priceless.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (8h) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (8h) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (10h) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (12h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.