Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Indeed he was. For this reason (and others -- he completely subverted the intentions of our Founding Fathers by enforcing an irrevocable Union), I don't consider him a good president. But that doesn't mean he didn't have good things to say. And he did technically have the constitutional authority to suspend habeas corpus, since a state of rebellion existed at the time.

Other suspensions of habeas corpus occurred during World War II. The Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, passed in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombing, introduced a statute of limitations for obtaining the writ. Of course, George W. Bush did his best to flout the intent of habeas corpus with his Presidential Military Order of November 13, 2001, but the Supreme Court resisted his more egregious attempts.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Of course, George W. Bush did his best to flout the intent of habeas corpus with his Presidential Military Order of November 13, 2001, but the Supreme Court resisted his more egregious attempts.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Ah yes. This is one of the many reasons I want to strangle neo-cons who complain about Obama's power grabs but are strangely silent when you bring up GWB's.

But as any economist/historian can tell you, neo-cons != conservatives. They're more like con men who trick the sheeple.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Council votes to endorse decriminalization of drug use

Zoe McKnight August 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Toronto City Council voted to endorse the Vienna Declaration on Thursday, raising a loud voice against the war on drugs.

The war against drugs has failed, said city councillor Kyle Rae, who brought the declaration to council after attending the AIDS 2010 international conference this July, where it was announced. In every jurisdiction and in every community, we know that policing this issue is not enough.

The principles of the declaration favour a public health approach to dealing with drug addicts, rather than enforcing ever-stricter drug laws, which advocates say doesnt work, and in fact can cause greater harm.

Just as clearly as we know HIV is the cause of AIDS, we know the war on drugs doesnt achieve its stated objectives and contributes to a range of harms, including the spread of HIV, said Dr. Evan Wood, a research physician who studies infectious disease at the University of British Columbia, and who chaired the writing committee.

Each HIV patient costs the Canada health-care system $250,000, Dr. Wood said.

The Canadian health-care system is groaning under the weight of the downstream consequences of drug addiction and our real bumbling policies to address it, he said.

A public health approach to addiction typically includes methadone clinics, safe injection or consumption sites, and the decriminalization of drugs, as recommended by the United Nations and World Health Organization.

We know, using the U.S. as a case study, that about $2.5-trillion has been spent trying to reduce the supply of drugs in the States. Despite that effort, drugs are more freely and easily available than they have been at any time in our history, Dr. Wood said. The purity has gone up, the price has gone down. Basically, every indicator shows that the problem is getting worse. Huge sums of money have been spent on tough-on-drugs approaches like our being proposed by our federal government.

Dr. Wood acknowledged Torontos endorsement could release a hornets nest of controversy. A feasibility study on a safe consumption site in Toronto erupted in controversy when it was announced last year, and Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said he wants to shut down Insite, Vancouvers safe injection site. This month, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day faced criticism for his $9-billion plan to build more prisons in Canada. Justice Minister Rob Nicholson announced new police powers to crack down on organized crime like gambling, drugs and prostitution, including tighter parole and bail restrictions, and harsher minimum sentences for drug trafficking.

But the Vienna Declaration is a movement to end all that. It reads:

The criminalisation of illicit drug users is fuelling the HIV epidemic and has resulted in overwhelmingly negative health and social consequences. A full policy reorientation is needed.

Dr. Wood said that the purpose is to encourage an approach that uses the evidence collected by criminologists, scientists, doctors and economists to assess how drug laws affect other social policies.

If we realize the overemphasis on law enforcement doesnt achieve its stated objectives, contributes to a range of harms and basically wastes taxpayers dollars, then we need a complete paradigm shift, he said. Drug law enforcement displaces public health approaches and drives people to the margins of society where HIV is spread, overdoses happen, violence happens.

Portugal decriminalized drug use ten years ago and today has the lowest rate of cannabis use in the EU and lower overdose and HIV infection rates.

Holland, which has famously lax drug laws, has a lower marijuana consumption rate than Canada, Dr. Wood said.

There are jurisdictions that are beginning to realize that throwing hundreds of billions of dollars, over the last 20 years, at policing this issue, has tragically failed. There needs to be other approaches, Mr. Rae said.

But embracing the Vienna Declaration does not mean Toronto is any closer to its own safe consumption site, said Councillor Gord Perks, chair of the Toronto Drug Strategy board.

Its a declaration, not a prescription, Mr. Perks said. It would simply reinforce the existing Toronto Drug Strategy. For example, Public Health workers already hand out safe crack kits to prevent the spread of hepatitis and have numerous other programs for drug users.

Mr. Rae said he had not heard from Toronto police or city councils in other cities today after the 33-7 vote was announced.

In September, Dr. Wood and his colleagues plan to send letters to political figures around the world to ask them for an endorsement as well. The Declaration was drafted by international scientists and experts and has been endorsed by more than 16,000 people including some Nobel laureates, UN special envoy Stephen Lewis and the former presidents of Colombia, Brazil and Mexico.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/08/26/council-votes-to-endorses-decriminalization-of-drug-use/#ixzz0yAB0YvJW 

UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
Every article I've ever read about a sketchy circumstance involving a police officer has ended the exact same way; nothing happens to the cop. They're suspended (usually with pay) until the investigation is over. That's it. Clearly this Yant guy is quick to use his gun and I agree with Zombie that he's probably a sociopath. What surprises me is how low the requirements are to become a police officer . You have some guys running around with guns that barely earned their GED and are more prone to violent behavior than most of the nation "protecting" you. Yea, it's in quotes for a reason. The cops have no obligation to protect us. They just enforce "the law" which has become increasingly stricter over the years, taking away citizens rights while granting the government more liberties, which in turn take away our privacy. The government should be afraid of it's people and not vice-versa. It's sick.

I wish we'd adopt the British way:

In the United Kingdom, the majority of police officers do not carry firearms, except in special circumstances

I also loathe drug prohibition. I don't think I could say it any better than most of the other people in this thread have. And it's not like I'm some wacked-out druggie on a mission to use. I've only meddled with pot and alcohol. I've seen and heard of the war on drugs causing worse things than a person using a drug. Much worse things.

The fact alone that marijuana is worth around $141 billion in the black market should make people question it's restrictions. Not to mention that it's one of the most useful plants in the world ; it can be utilized for paper, fuel, rope, fabric and more.

UserPostedImage

There's a lot of bullshit  that went into it's prohibition (like racial prejudices, political implications, andHearst's famous "war" on hemp ) and it's about time that people started coming around. There's a shit ton of inmates in prisons that are non-violent offenders yet here we are sitting around paying tax money for people that like to toke up to sit in jail. I don't much care for a heroin addicts life choice but I'm not gonna pay for his room and board in jail while he searches for other poisons to intoxicate himself with. Read this about the recent jump in non-violent prisoners , it's mind-numbing how ignorant, hypocritical and outright prejudiced people can be.
zombieslayer
13 years ago
+1 to DJ. Well said. Pretty much agree with everything you said.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
By the way, what djcubez said about the government not having an obligation to protect you -- those are not the ravings of some conspiracy-theory-minded lunatic. That is the ruling of the Supreme Court. The police can literally stand by and watch you be killed without repercussion, because they are under no constitutional obligation to protect you.

For this reason (and many others), I personally believe that government-operated police departments should be abolished, to be replaced with a private system of personal security along the lines of homeowners' and renters' insurance. Residents who choose to retain the services of a security firm would then enjoy contractual rights to protection that could be enforced in the courts. Residents who deem the threat levels in their area insufficient to require the services of security personnel could save their money and insure themselves with Smith and Wesson instead. Of course, they would have no recourse in the event that the worst happened either. But I'm a big fan of personal choice anyway. I believe the same principle could be applied to fire protection as well. Emergency medical services tend to be private in most jurisdictions, so it's not like such a model is without precedent.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect  

By LINDA GREENHOUSE
Published: June 28, 2005

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

The decision, with an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia and dissents from Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, overturned a ruling by a federal appeals court in Colorado. The appeals court had permitted a lawsuit to proceed against a Colorado town, Castle Rock, for the failure of the police to respond to a woman's pleas for help after her estranged husband violated a protective order by kidnapping their three young daughters, whom he eventually killed.

For hours on the night of June 22, 1999, Jessica Gonzales tried to get the Castle Rock police to find and arrest her estranged husband, Simon Gonzales, who was under a court order to stay 100 yards away from the house. He had taken the children, ages 7, 9 and 10, as they played outside, and he later called his wife to tell her that he had the girls at an amusement park in Denver.

Ms. Gonzales conveyed the information to the police, but they failed to act before Mr. Gonzales arrived at the police station hours later, firing a gun, with the bodies of the girls in the back of his truck. The police killed him at the scene.

The theory of the lawsuit Ms. Gonzales filed in federal district court in Denver was that Colorado law had given her an enforceable right to protection by instructing the police, on the court order, that "you shall arrest" or issue a warrant for the arrest of a violator. She argued that the order gave her a "property interest" within the meaning of the 14th Amendment's due process guarantee, which prohibits the deprivation of property without due process.

The district court and a panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit dismissed the suit, but the full appeals court reinstated it and the town appealed. The Supreme Court's precedents made the appellate ruling a challenging one for Ms. Gonzales and her lawyers to sustain.

A 1989 decision, DeShaney v. Winnebago County, held that the failure by county social service workers to protect a young boy from a beating by his father did not breach any substantive constitutional duty. By framing her case as one of process rather than substance, Ms. Gonzales and her lawyers hoped to find a way around that precedent.

But the majority on Monday saw little difference between the earlier case and this one, Castle Rock v. Gonzales, No. 04-278. Ms. Gonzales did not have a "property interest" in enforcing the restraining order, Justice Scalia said, adding that "such a right would not, of course, resemble any traditional conception of property."

Although the protective order did mandate an arrest, or an arrest warrant, in so many words, Justice Scalia said, "a well-established tradition of police discretion has long coexisted with apparently mandatory arrest statutes."

But Justices Stevens and Ginsburg, in their dissenting opinion, said "it is clear that the elimination of police discretion was integral to Colorado and its fellow states' solution to the problem of underenforcement in domestic violence cases." Colorado was one of two dozen states that, in response to increased attention to the problem of domestic violence during the 1990's, made arrest mandatory for violating protective orders.

"The court fails to come to terms with the wave of domestic violence statutes that provides the crucial context for understanding Colorado's law," the dissenting justices said.

Organizations concerned with domestic violence had watched the case closely and expressed disappointment at the outcome. Fernando LaGuarda, counsel for the National Network to End Domestic Violence, said in a statement that Congress and the states should now act to give greater protection.

In another ruling on Monday, the court rebuked the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, in Cincinnati, for having reopened a death penalty appeal, on the basis of newly discovered evidence, after the ruling had become final.

The 5-to-4 decision, Bell v. Thompson, No. 04-514, came in response to an appeal by the State of Tennessee after the Sixth Circuit removed a convicted murderer, Gregory Thompson, from the state's death row.

After his conviction and the failure of his appeals in state court, Mr. Thompson, with new lawyers, had gone to federal district court seeking a writ of habeas corpus on the ground that his initial lawyers had been constitutionally inadequate. The new lawyers obtained a consultation with a psychologist, who diagnosed Mr. Thompson as schizophrenic.

But the psychologist's report was not included in the file of the habeas corpus petition in district court, which denied the petition. It was not until the Sixth Circuit and then the Supreme Court had also denied his petition, making the case final, that the Sixth Circuit reopened the case, finding that the report was crucial evidence that should have been considered.

In overturning that ruling in an opinion by Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, the majority said the appeals court had abused its discretion in an "extraordinary departure from standard appellate procedures." Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justices Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Sandra Day O'Connor joined the opinion.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Stephen G. Breyer said the majority had relied on rules to the exclusion of justice. Judges need a "degree of discretion, thereby providing oil for the rule-based gears," he said. Justices Stevens, Ginsburg and David H. Souter joined the dissent.

UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

By the way, what djcubez said about the government not having an obligation to protect you -- those are not the ravings of some conspiracy-theory-minded lunatic. That is the ruling of the Supreme Court. The police can literally stand by and watch you be killed without repercussion, because they are under no constitutional obligation to protect you.

For this reason (and many others), I personally believe that government-operated police departments should be abolished, to be replaced with a private system of personal security along the lines of homeowners' and renters' insurance. Residents who choose to retain the services of a security firm would then enjoy contractual rights to protection that could be enforced in the courts. Residents who deem the threat levels in their area insufficient to require the services of security personnel could save their money and insure themselves with Smith and Wesson instead. Of course, they would have no recourse in the event that the worst happened either. But I'm a big fan of personal choice anyway. I believe the same principle could be applied to fire protection as well. Emergency medical services tend to be private in most jurisdictions, so it's not like such a model is without precedent.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

AMEN!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (23m) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (37m) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (11h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (12h) : damn those vikings
beast (13h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (13h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (13h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (20h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (20h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.