djcubez
  • djcubez
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
This is taken from a Vikings blog but I really liked the article. It's interesting to hear another team's fan base and media take on the Packers.

Pull up the stakes and pack up the tents now, ladies and gentlemen. The NFC North division race has been decided for 2010, and not only will the Vikings not be serious contenders for the division, they'll be lucky to squeak into the wild card race.

Or, at least, that's what we've been led to believe by the reports we've seen after the third week of NFL pre-season action. Yes, while the Vikings looked shaky on offense and outstanding on defense in their 24-13 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, the Green Bay Packers grabbed all the headlines this week by putting up 59 points against a team that hasn't given a damn about the pre-season for the better part of the last decade, the Indianapolis Colts.

How little do the Indianapolis Colts care about the pre-season? Allow me to illustrate.

Starting in 2005, and including the three games they've played this pre-season, the Colts have a pre-season winning percentage of .160, reflecting a record of four wins and 21 losses. Their winning percentage in the regular season since 2005? .813, reflecting a record of 65 wins and 15 losses. That's right. . .the Colts have more pre-season losses since 2005 than they have regular season losses. Heck, that's true even if you take out the three losses they've had this pre-season. I'm not sure how many NFL teams can make that claim, but I'm quite sure that it isn't a terribly extensive list.

So, Brett Favre threw a couple of interceptions. . .one of which hit Bernard Berrian right in the hands and was practically handed to Seahawks safety Earl Thomas for a huge touchdown return. . .and all of a sudden the Vikings' offense is in trouble and can't find its rhythm and blah blah blah. Meanwhile, our rivals to the east are setting the world on fire and have been deemed the favorites to go to the Super Bowl in the NFC.

Man, to find a scenario like that, you'd have to go all the way back to. . .um, last pre-season. How'd that work out for everybody? Worked out better for us than it did for them, if I recall correctly.

See, the thing about the Packers that a lot of people are forgetting is this. . .they have a grand total of one defensive player that can regularly put pressure on opposing quarterbacks, and that's Clay Matthews. He hasn't seen any game action this pre-season, and without him, the Green Bay pass rush is completely, thoroughly, and utterly non-existent. To be frank, it's barely existent with Clay Matthews in the lineup. We saw that first-hand in the two match-ups between the Vikings and the Packers last season.

As a result of this, the Packers secondary has to cover for extended periods of time. And for all the people that talk about how elite the Green Bay secondary is, I'm sorry. . .but outside of Charles Woodson, I'm not seeing it. Al Harris got his knee turned into mush last year, and still hasn't come back to the Packer lineup. As a corner in his mid-30s, there's a chance that he might not be back at all. Tramon Williams hasn't done anything to impress, Will Blackmon can't go more than five consecutive minutes without getting injured, and Jarrett Bush is a punchline waiting to happen every time he takes the field.

If Charles Woodson's body remembers at some point that it's 34 years of age, then that entire defense is in big trouble. They are that dependent on that guy maintaining his current level of performance. Woodson is pretty much to the Green Bay defense what Jared Allen is to the Vikings' defense. The difference, in my opinion, is that if the Vikings were to lose Allen, they have enough talent along their defensive line to at least take a little bit of the sting away. I don't think the Packers have that in their secondary.

Yes, Aaron Rodgers is a fine quarterback, and I'm certain that the Packers will score a ton of points this year, just like I'm certain that the Vikings will score a ton of points this year with Brett Favre at the controls. Lots of Packer fans that I've spoken to like to point out the fact that the Vikings have a "tougher schedule" than they did last year. That's funny because, you know, if the Vikings' schedule has gotten tougher in 2010, that probably means that the Packers' schedule has gotten tougher in 2010, too, since 14 of the 16 games they'll play are exactly the same. The two games that aren't the same? The Vikings match-up against the NFC South champions from last year in the New Orleans Saints, and the NFC West champions from last year, the Arizona Cardinals. The Packers will face the team that finished second in both of those divisions. . .the Atlanta Falcons and the San Francisco 49ers.

If you had your choice, in 2010. . .would you rather line up against New Orleans and Arizona, or against Atlanta and San Francisco?

But the Packers showed last year that, while they were awesome against the Brady Quinns and the Matthew Staffords and the Kyle Bollers of the NFL, if you present them with an offense that's average or better, they have trouble. If you don't believe me, take a look back at the two times they were carved up by Minnesota last season. Or the 500+ yard performance they allowed to Ben Roethlisberger. Or the 51 points they got dropped on them by the Arizona Cardinals in the post-season. If the Packers and the Vikings are both going to be facing better teams with stronger offenses in 2010, one would have to think that this bodes better for the Vikings than it does for Green Bay.

All in all, I'll repeat something that I've said quite a few times over the course of the off-season and the pre-season. Regardless of what the pre-season hype might tell you, the Minnesota Vikings are still the best team in the NFC North, and they're the best team in the NFC North until the Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bears, or the Detroit Lions go out and prove it on the field. Not in some magazine, not on some highlight show. . .on the field of play. Have any of those three teams done enough to bridge the gap between themselves and the Beloved Purple? I certainly don't think that they have.

Source 

A lot of the points he makes are valid but I feel that a lot of the wad-blowing is done by the general media and not anyone that's taken extensive looks at the Packers. I certainly believe we have the talent to go all the way but we have to put it all together on the field first.

I especially agree with his point about Matthews--we desperately need another player that can apply a pass rush otherwise we're screwed.
bigfog
13 years ago
Not sure how he came to the conclusion that Favre's going to score a ton of points this season. No Rice for half of the year, Harvin's shaky with all of those migraines, Javon Walker...ha!

Who else is out there for them? Camarillo? Bernard Berrian? Shiancoe? I guess those will be Favre's main targets as he "scores a ton of points."

Can't wait to see that.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Stevetarded
13 years ago
I like the part about Woodsons body finally realizing how old it is...
blank
bigfog
13 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Ironic, coming from a dude pinning his hopes on a 40 year old.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
porky88
13 years ago
I don't agree with well there the best until they're beaten on the field mentality. I suspect the Saints will win every game then. Just like the Steelers did a year ago.

You have to project and with that said, I like the Vikings too. But I also like the Packers. Both teams are in the discussion and it'll be a close race.

Just think about how close it was last year.....

If Favre doesn't make that last second throw against the 49ers, Minnesota is 11-5.

If Roethlisberger doesn't make that last second throw against the Packers, Green Bay is 12-4

Just sayin'
dhazer
13 years ago

Not sure how he came to the conclusion that Favre's going to score a ton of points this season. No Rice for half of the year, Harvin's shaky with all of those migraines, Javon Walker...ha!

Who else is out there for them? Camarillo? Bernard Berrian? Shiancoe? I guess those will be Favre's main targets as he "scores a ton of points."

Can't wait to see that.

"bigfog" wrote:

I remember alot of people on this board were laughing at the Vikes wrs.

I actually think Camarillo was a good pickup for them, he is a Welker type wr.

Oh and for scoring they do have a decent rb to hand the ball off to also.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Yeah where is he getting that from? He just won the DPOY last year, and hasn't shown anything this offseason that would make any person that has any sense whatsoever think he has lost a step....

dhazer wrote:

Hop off Favre's dick.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
13 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Yeah where is he getting that from? He just won the DPOY last year, and hasn't shown anything this offseason that would make any person that has any sense whatsoever think he has lost a step....

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Hop off Favre's dick.

dhazer wrote:

And you say this why? I didn't say anything about Favre. I understand you can't don't like giving credit to any other teams, or is it you want to hop on Favres dick?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"bigfog" wrote:

Ironic, coming from a dude pinning his hopes on a 40 year old.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Right?
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Hop off Favre's dick.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

And you say this why? I didn't say anything about Favre. I understand you can't don't like giving credit to any other teams, or is it you want to hop on Favres dick?

dhazer wrote:

I guarantee that if Favre was not on the Vikings' team, you would not try to defend the Vikings like this.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (10h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (23h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.