Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Give me a roster loaded with players like Big Grease.. all these Diva players out there, this is how you handle your business in the NFL when pushed outside your comfort zone.

I forgave him long ago for playing for Ohio State. ;)

Ryan Pickett is no Albert Haynesworth. 

But he wasn't happy either.

When the Green Bay Packers coaching staff decided to move Pickett out of the one position he has played since 1998, he wondered who had spiked their coffee.

"I liked the nose," said Pickett. "I got comfortable there."

For the last four years, Pickett had been Green Bay's run-stuffing, block-absorbing nose tackle. Nose tackle had been 'Pick's' spot for nine years in the NFL and three before that at Ohio State. He has been reliable, relatively injury-free and a wall of brute strength and force that every center had to try to contain.

[img_r]http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/RyanPickett.jpg[/img_r]

But the coaches had to find a way to get last year's first-round draft pick, B.J. Raji, on the field, and that means putting him at nose, his best spot. By promoting Raji to starting nose, they had to slide Pickett to left defensive end this summer.

Pickett made the move without ever questioning the sanity of the coaches or worse.

"Who am I to, you know?" said Pickett. "It was best for the team for me to play end. Obviously, B.J. is a good nose and I can play the end. To help, the team I will play end."

He's playing great. Opposite Cullen Jenkins, he's been solid in the pass and stable as ever against the run, even while given a limited number of practice repetitions there. And when he's taken all the reps he's held up. He's made tackles, and he's chased down quarterbacks.

"It took me awhile to accept it. I was disappointed for a little while," said Pickett. "But after that, I started playing it and started liking it."

The drastic differences for Pickett are spacing and assignments, and both changes have forced the 31-year-old to study the game from his entirely new viewpoint.

"It's a lot different. There's a lot of space out there," said Pickett. "The nose actually is immediate. You don't have time to really think. On end you have time, you can mess up and recover. On nose you really can't.

"At nose, you always have one thing to do. That's it. The A gap. At end, you never know, it depends on what the call is, what gap you have, how to play the technique. So it's a lot of that you have to get used."

Pickett has worked closely with line coach Mike Trgovac on assignments.

Otherwise, he's enjoying a new phase of his career: single blocks. For what probably amounts to 98% of his career, he's always gone up against the center and another blocker. Take one guy away now.

"That's cool," Pickett said. "That gives me an opportunity to make a lot more plays."

His role is clearly defined: to stop the run first. The Packers had the top-ranked run defense a year ago, allowing just an average 83.3 rush yards per game. After that, if Pickett can rush the passer, all the better, although that's not his No. 1 objective. The Packers design several schemes to get pressure from all sorts of places, but a surprise rush from Pickett now and then is always welcome.

Trgovac said he's been impressed with Pickett's athletic ability along with his high standard of play tackling the run.

"If you saw the Seattle game when they tried to reach him (a reach block), he went right down the sideline and made the tackle," said Trgovac. "He can move."

The natural curiosity over this switch is how the 338-pound man will hold up with all that running. He says he has the endurance for it.

"It's a combination of transitioning in to the rush, so it is a little quickness and strength," said Pickett. "But you want more strength to get the tackles back in to the quarterback's lap. But with single blocking, I feel fresh coming in. It's a lot more ground to cover, but I'm not going to let it wear me down.

"My thing is, I think I have an advantage over most tackles because they're normally taller guys, not as strong, more athletic. Used to blocking smaller D-ends. And I think I'm the biggest D-end in the NFL right now."

"I'm sure he is," said Trgovac. "We're a big defensive line."

Raji is 337 pounds and Jenkins 305. And Pickett's stamina does not appear to concern the coaches either.

"He took every snap of look team" on Tuesday in practice, said Trgovac. "When it's a big nickel day in practice, he goes and works the other team's stuff and works hard at it so he is getting the snap of that, just working on his stamina. He and I talked about it today, I said, 'You're not going to play a lot in this game. You didn't play a lot last week.' He took every look-team snap just to keep himself going."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I'm confused. Until last year, didn't the Packers play a 4-3 defense? It's my understanding that there is no nose tackle in that alignment. So how has Jenkins played nose tackle for four years in Green Bay? Was he only a situational player used in non-base alignments?

Also, what is the "look team"? Is that the same as the scout team?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
Clearing the confusion.. I think the meaning is playing inside on defense.. opposed to on the edge.. huge difference regardless of the alignment.

Not sure of Trgov's reference.. I am thinking it is the base defense.. not sure though.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Blah, I meant Ryan Pickett.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
13 years ago
You can have a NT in a 4-3. He usually plays the 1 technique, lining up between the center and guard, just eating blocks and stopping the run.

Much like Pat Williams.

Pickett's one of the reasons why our 3 techniques appeared to come out of nowhere and slip back into mediocrity after they left.
beast
13 years ago
"And I think I'm the biggest D-end in the NFL right now."

::razz: I loved that quote :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
hosemeoff
13 years ago
I think some 4-3s use a nose tackle. Usually it is your bigger, stronger defensive tackle and he's responsible for occupying two blockers.

What I found surprising was Pickett's short-lived trepidation in moving out of our 3-4 nose position. IIRC Pickett was motivated to leave St. Louis because he wanted to be more of a playmaker (i.e. not a block gobbling stump), so he left the 3-4 St. Louis defense to come to our 4-3 defense. I was initially concerned when we switched to the 3-4 that Pickett wasn't going to be happy.

Pickett has exceeded my expectations. He has been a consummate professional and has been unbelievably productive and AVAILABLE. I'm excited to watch him at DE and think it could be a great move. He will definitely consume the tackle (and probably a guard sometimes), while collapsing the edges, which will shorten the path to the QB for our speed rushing linebackers. To me, Pickett and CWood are the two best FA acquisitions of TTs career.
blank
beast
13 years ago

I'm confused. Until last year, didn't the Packers play a 4-3 defense? It's my understanding that there is no nose tackle in that alignment. So how has Jenkins played nose tackle for four years in Green Bay? Was he only a situational player used in non-base alignments?

Also, what is the "look team"? Is that the same as the scout team?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

You can have a NT in a 4-3. He usually plays the 1 technique, lining up between the center and guard, just eating blocks and stopping the run.

Much like Pat Williams.

Pickett's one of the reasons why our 3 techniques appeared to come out of nowhere and slip back into mediocrity after they left.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

+1

See the NFL over simplifies labels to make it easy to follow for the casual fan.

There are different ways to define NT so if different places you here different ones.

The way I define NT is being asked to clog a two running gaps and double team play after play after play.

Most systems (4-3 or 3-4) have a NT or a guy asked to often take double teams and be a great run stopper. But in the 4-3 they're often called a DT. Which not all DTs are NTs. It's like Pat Williams is a NT in the 3-4 but Kevin Williams is not a NT and they're both listed as being DTs.

As I see it there are three kinds of defensive tackles.

NT who is asked to run block first, take up two running gaps and free the LBers and take on double teams

DT who is asked to take one gap, play the run first the pass second

UT who is asked to play the pass first and attack and pass rush right away like a 4-3 DE is often asked to do.

Pickett has been asked to play NT most of his career (of course there were times with the Rams he was asked to only cover one gap and pass rush though he wasn't overly good at that.)

In the zone blitz system that the Packers and Steelers use the "DEs" (which IMO is wrongly labeled) are DTs.

Also something that upsets me is when announcers or talking heads call the Cowboys Jay Ratliff one of the best NTs in the NFL because all the sacks he puts up. When Ratliff isn't a true NT... he's a UT... he's not asked to take up two gaps and take double teams... he's asked to shoot the gap and get into the back field with out letting the ball pass him.

He's like Corey Williams was but doesn't tire out as easily. They shouldn't be comparing his stats to real NTs as real NTs just plain don't put up those numbers as they getting beat up by double teams for their team, not pass rushing. (other than Ravens Haloti Ngata which was so good he could be a NT and pass rush at the same time for a while there.)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
13 years ago
What Rock is referring to what most call a 4-3 Over or Under.. where one of the inside tackles lines directly over the center.. some call him a NT in that alignment I would guess.. since the assignment is similar to a 3-4 Nose.

What a student of the game Rock has become.
beast
13 years ago

Pickett was motivated to leave St. Louis because he wanted to be more of a playmaker (i.e. not a block gobbling stump), so he left the 3-4 St. Louis defense to come to our 4-3 defense. I was initially concerned when we switched to the 3-4 that Pickett wasn't going to be happy

"hosemeoff" wrote:

I think that's mistaken. The Rams Defensive Coordinator wanted to switch to the 3-4 and was slowly trying to but he didn't have the right pieces and so they played more 4-3 (but did play both).

Also Pickett was tired of St. Louis because the teams city and fans kept calling him a bust as he never lived up to their 1st round expectation (like Packers fans keep doing with Hawk) and because that same year they had two other first round picks that did bust. ( DT Damione Lewis, S Adam Archuleta and yes they some how had 3 first round picks and two of them busted and Pickett (the third didn't live up to the hype.)

The reason he didn't live up to the hype partly was because he wasn't playing NT for a while there. He was playing in a UT role (which doesn't fit Pickett's style, he's not a pass rusher), so Pickett wanted to go back to the role he excelled at in college and some work with the Rams, he wanted to go back to NT which Sanders system had a full time NT position (other than his nickel)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (3h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (6h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (6h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (6h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (7h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (7h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (18h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (19h) : damn those vikings
beast (19h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (19h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (19h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (19h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.