Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Aug 31, 2010 11:42pm
One more chance 
By JASON WILDE
jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

GREEN BAY Justin Harrell wasnt looking for anyone to feel sorry for him. Lord knows after three years of disappointment, sympathy for the Green Bay Packers 2007 first-round draft pick is in short supply.

But as he enters what might be his last chance to make something of his career in Green Bay if not the NFL in Thursday nights exhibition finale at Kansas City, the oft-injured defensive end wants people to understand something.

Hes sorry.

You come into this league, with it being a lifelong dream to get to this point, and you dont want to just get here and say, I was on the team. You want to do something, you want to show people that you really belong here, Harrell said earlier this week. And to this point, I really dont feel like I have.

You can certainly criticize general manager Ted Thompson for taking him with the 16th overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft. You have every right to wonder whether Harrell did his part to be in tip-top shape before suffering the March 2008 back injury during the offseason program that plagues him to this day. And its perfectly reasonable to say that to this point, Harrell has been a complete bust.

But if you think the kid has simply collected a paycheck, hasnt felt bad about the way his career has gone and hasnt worked very hard to give it one last shot, well, then youve got him all wrong.

He cares. Theres no doubt in my mind that he cares, defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said Tuesday. And I do have hope for him.

Problem is, thats all anyones ever had for Harrell hope. Hes played in just 13 games over his three NFL seasons, spending all of last year on injured reserve because of two back surgeries that still didnt completely resolve the disk problems hes had.

But if Harrell wasnt serious about making up for the disappointment hes been, then he wouldnt have traveled to Seattle two weeks ago to play in the Packers second preseason game against the Seahawks.

By now you know that Harrell played poorly in that game the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did an extensive breakdown of just how bad Harrell looked and if you re-watch the tape of the game, Harrells body language looks like he doesnt want to be there. And in truth, he probably didnt. Because what you didnt know is that his newborn son, who arrived when Harrells wife, Barbie, had an emergency caesarian section in the early morning hours of Aug 19, was in the neo-natal intensive care unit at a local hospital.

If I put the pads on and play a game, Im expected to have a good game, Harrell said. There was a lot of stuff going on in my head, but I cant use that as an excuse. It was just a bad game.

And while Trgovac, who isnt the most touchy-feely coach youll run across, has been hard on Harrell throughout camp, even he had to admit that the Seattle performance wasnt a fair representation of Harrells camp.

Yes, he was (bad). But put yourself in that guys shoes, Trgovac said. Its not like he had a baby and the baby was at home with his mom. His baby was in intensive care, and thats his first child.

I dont know if you have any kids, but picture that baby being in ICU. It was not a planned C-section. It was an emergency C-section. My first baby was an emergency C-section, but it was in May. I dont know that I couldve gone out and played a game.

Harrell said this week that mother and child are doing fine now, and his play against Indianapolis last Thursday night was significantly better than it was against the Seahawks, Trgovac said.

Yes, he was (bad against Seattle), but I think he had really one play (against Indianapolis) that I really ripped his (expletive) for, Trgovac said, pointing out that Harrell was the one who got a hand on quarterback Peyton Manning on the play that ended in linebacker Frank Zombos sack-fumble on the four-time NFL MVP.

He played 18 reps. He played the run well, he had two rushes on the sack-fumble, he had a great rush on that one; the other one, he wasnt very good. (But) he did his job and it wasnt that difficult for him.

Now, Harrell may be facing his last game with the Packers, even though the No. 5 and No. 6 defensive line roster spots are wide open. While the three starters (Ryan Pickett, B.J. Raji, Cullen Jenkins) and top backup (rookie Mike Neal) are set, Harrell is battling Jarius Wynn, rookie C.J. Wilson, Anthony Toribio and Ronald Talley for one of the final two spots. The Packers generally have five defensive linemen active on game days.

I think in our minds right now, this game is huge for these guys. We want to see out of 5 and 6 who steps up, Trgovac said. Theyve all got ability, theyve all shown flashes. We need that next guy to step up.

This game will determine a lot for those guys. This game is very important to those last two spots.

With the exception of missing the Aug. 17 practice when it flared up on him, Harrell hasnt had any problems with his back, and Trgovac said he has intentionally kept Harrells snap count as high as possible in practice to see if (the back) will go out on him. It hasnt, although Thursday night Harrell figures to play more snaps than he has to this point.

Whether or not he does enough with those snaps will become clear on Saturday, when the final roster reduction from 75 players to 53 players is due.

I think I can help this team. I still feel like I can play in this league and I can be a good player in this league. As long as I got the opportunity, Im just going to keep working, Harrell said. Its the last preseason games before the cuts, so its pretty much an audition for all of us. I have no clue, no direction on which way they want to go or how theyre feeling. Im going to go out there and play as hard as I can and see what happens over the weekend.

Just (in terms of) being available, its without a doubt the best training camp Ive had from that aspect. Ive had some inconsistent play, but Im trying to work hard and at the end of the day, not have any regrets. And I think for the most part, thats what I can say about this training camp. Im just trying to control what I can control, hopefully put a good game together on Thursday and just sit and wait.

Listen to Jason Wilde every weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Green & Gold Today, and follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/jasonjwilde.

UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Well that didnt tell me shit.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago
So just now they decide to tell the human interest aspect.

If there is one place on this planet that you can be cut a little slack just by the fanbase getting to know you a bit better, it is Green Bay.

I bitched about the journalism in the past, this is simply confirming what I was complaining about.

I think he's gonna stick, due to circumstances on the team as a whole, but this just irritates me... Justin has been hard to root for, because he was a "back-burner" fella to the media. I consider them (media) lazy. This is precisely what they should have been telling us during his entire "saga".

His agent sucks also.
beast
13 years ago
I think Harrell has looked better than Jarius Wynn, rookie C.J. Wilson, Anthony Toribio and Ronald Talley. Only real question is can he stay healthy IMO.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago
Read as "Harris" the first time around and felt really sad. Harrell... Sorry kid, you've had plenty of chances. You're the reason why unproven rookies shouldn't be paid ungodly amounts of money.
British
13 years ago
If he gets through the KC game unscathed then I think he makes the roster. Our #5 and #6 DL spots are two of the weakest on the team. Wilson doesn't look ready, Talley and Toribio haven't shown much and Wynn required calling out by Mike McCarthy to step up his play. Harrell looks like a good fit as a run stuffing 3-4 DE as long as he can stay healthy. Big 'if' but so far he's managed it.

I actually think the DL could be one area we look to the waiver wire on cut down day.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Harrell sounds pretty gloomy at a time when I would expect him to be emphasizing the positive, even if it's not the way he feels. I've been thinking for a few weeks now that he's going to make the team, but this article casts a lot more doubt on his prospects. Come on, Justin! You're almost there!
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

If there is one place on this planet that you can be cut a little slack just by the fanbase getting to know you a bit better, it is Green Bay.

I bitched about the journalism in the past, this is simply confirming what I was complaining about.

I think he's gonna stick, due to circumstances on the team as a whole, but this just irritates me... Justin has been hard to root for, because he was a "back-burner" fella to the media. I consider them (media) lazy. This is precisely what they should have been telling us during his entire "saga".

His agent sucks also.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I thought it was a decent article. I also might be bias because I like Wilde's articles generally.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
13 years ago

His agent sucks also.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I thought it was a decent article. I also might be bias because I like Wilde's articles generally.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I wasn't complaining about this article. I was complaining because this kind of article should have been written when basically -many of us were wondering where the hell Harrel was and what his status might be... I even ASKED about it in a live chat, and was told (I think JSOnline)

"err, uh, I don'know where Justin is/was/will be"--physically or mentally.

Everybody slobs al's knob during rehab, they could have at least given Justin a quickie journalistic hand job or somethin'
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Foster and his sexual metaphors . . . they are a source of never-ending amusement to me.

Glad to have you back in mid-season form, David.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (4h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (7h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (7h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (7h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (7h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (8h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (18h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (20h) : damn those vikings
beast (20h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (20h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (20h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (20h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.