British
13 years ago
We hoped to get something for guys like Breno, one of our TEs or EDS etc. Yet in the end we had to cut them all.

For me we could do with improvements at Safety (Martin, Peprah), CB (Lee, Bush, Underwood), OLB (Zombo, Poppinga) and the return game.

Come on Ted. Sort it out, we need some better players.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Depth isn't measured in whether or not you can make a trade. It's measured in whether or not the teams are interested and going to pickup players you've released.
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
You seem to be of the opinion that depth is related to other teams wanting your players through trades.

Not so sure I would agree; a team may want your player but on the other hand may not be willing to give up the right piece(s) you as a GM want in return, or may not be inclined to cut someone who knows the system for someone who would come in brand new. (Edit: took long to post, but I'm basically echoing Porky's thoughts here)

I do not know about you, but I think our play at safety has been solid. Martin actually looked like a decent Safety prospect now that he knows the system, and Peprah seems to be a poor man's Bigby. That is not terrible depth, considering someone like Will Blackmon had problems recovering from his injury.

Frankly, the only leverage the Packers had in trading Giacomini, Evan D-S, or even Havner was that a team liked them so much that they did not want to take the risk of letting these guys hit the open market and end up on another team. In the end, that is not really much leverage.

You do realize that signing anyone at this point would mean waiving someone that has been in this system for a good few months for someone that does not know shit about our terminology.

So, in other words, it might be attractive to cut CB Bush for another corner, but that corner will be pretty much of limited use to us the first few weeks of the season because he knows nothing about the scheme we run.

I'm not saying we cannot improve in those areas, just that attempting to improve there might cost us in the short term. You can't simply add talent without repercussions, and with the Philly game so close you need to think very carefully about the good it does to add a street free agent now.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
tromadz
13 years ago
We don't have depth? We have one of the deepest teams in the league. lol. Yeah, DB isn't the deepest position, if that scares you then...well good luck.

People are acting as if EVERY starter is going to go down and the backup MUST be starter level.

They're backups for a reason. And most of ours are damn good. For fuck's sake.
beast
13 years ago
I didn't think there would be a trade unless the Packers decided to trade D. Lee, Spitz, Bishop, Williams or just maybe Bush (as a ST guy).

I kind of was hoping they trade Bishop as he's just not happy with the Packers, their coaches and playing time and I liked the Joseph kid.

And I'm disappointed they could trade Williams. He's going get time some where.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
I feel like trades at the cutting deadline are only done to gain priority signing of a player that's already getting cut. I hope that makes sense.

For this scenario I'll use Breno.
1) The Packers decide they want to cut Breno but before they do they'll attempt to trade him to see if they can get a return for him
2) Other teams become aware that Breno is available. Because it's right before cuts those teams can assume that Breno will most likely be cut
3) If a team really wants Breno they have a choice to make. If they think another team will pick him up before they get a chance to, they'll likely look into a trade otherwise they wait for him to get cut
4) If the other team wants to trade, they most likely are going to attempt to salvage a player that they are going to cut

In terms of depth I don't think it means much. Unless the return is great enough why give up a guy like Spitz, that can backup any of the three positions on the line? I don't see the point in sacrificing your depth in hopes that what you get (mainly an unknown player from another team) is greater than someone whose tendencies you've known and has played for your team before.
shield4life
13 years ago
I rather keep the "depth" then trade it.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
British
13 years ago
One way people claim you can tell a deep roster is when other teams are prepared to give up something for the players you don't need. Yet we couldn't even squeeze a 2012 7th round pick from any team for the players we cut.

Obviously we could have traded the players we kept, that's no different from any other team, but our cast offs turned out to be worth nothing in trade value. That is just a simple fact.

We talked about tough cuts all off season yet the only two tough cuts in my opinion were Havner and EDS. The rest were either not good enough or injury prone.

There are still quite a few soft spots on our roster. Currently our primary back up at OLB and our nickel back are rookie undrafted free agents and our dime back is Jarrett Bush.

For a Superbowl challenger that is interesting.
UserPostedImage
British
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102236369.html 

If the Green Bay Packers turn out to be one of the most talented teams in the National Football League, you wouldn't have known it by their inability to trade a player Saturday during the final roster reduction.

The Packers moved 22 players off their roster to reach the mandatory 53-man limit. Still, general manager Ted Thompson was unable to get anything for nine players that logged regular-season time with the club in 2009.

Teams will examine the waiver wire overnight and then can make claims on players until 11 a.m. Sunday. Green Bay could be looking for help at every position on defense, and players with special-teams capability probably would draw the keenest interest.

"You know they're going to score," an NFC personnel man said Saturday night. "But can they stop you from scoring?"

Neither Thompson nor coach Mike McCarthy was made available to explain their decisions.

The most senior name on the casualty list was safety Will Blackmon, who along with tackle Allen Barbre (back) was announced as having been placed on injured reserve. Sources, however, said both players had reached injury settlements and will be waived soon.

As recently as Thursday night, special-teams coach Shawn Slocum expressed optimism that Blackmon would be the dual return man next Sunday in Philadelphia. But in the last 48 hours, the Packers must have re-examined Blackmon's knee and decided to shift gears.

"I'm sure it had a lot to do with my health," Blackmon said. "It wasn't based off ability and talent. It was tough, I'm sure."

Ten months removed from reconstructive knee surgery, Blackmon practiced in pads to start training camp. He missed several days and hasn't been on the field since the Indianapolis game Aug. 26.

"I don't feel like I'm going to be out for, like, months," said Blackmon. "I didn't reinjure or re-tear anything. Basically, it just got sore around the joint. I was just trying to give it more time. I was planning on running Tuesday and then getting ready for this week."

Blackmon proved to be a dangerous return man for a portion of 2007, all of 2008 and the first month of 2009. In all, he had three returns for touchdowns.

Now Blackmon expects the Packers to give the job to wide receiver Jordy Nelson. In two seasons, counting playoffs, Nelson has averaged 23.1 yards in 40 kickoff returns and 5.3 in 17 punt returns. He fumbled four times last year, losing one.

"I'm sure Jordy will handle the returns just because he has security in terms of catching it," said Blackmon. "That's the main thing. You've got to catch the ball before you can do anything.

"In terms of special teams, I think they're going to be fine. You had a lot of guys mixed in and around trying to compete for a job, so the chemistry was off a little bit."

The Packers did have a team eager to trade for center-guard Jason Spitz, and indications were that it was the Eagles. Apparently, Thompson decided he didn't want to play against him on opening day, and so the Eagles shipped a sixth-round pick to Arizona on Friday for starting guard Reggie Wells.

Sources said the Packers did try to deal tackle Breno Giacomini and center-guard Evan Dietrich-Smith but wound up having to release both players. Seattle was interested in Giacomini but made other acquisitions, and the Packers had conversations with other clubs about him as well.

Center-guard Nick McDonald of Grand Valley State joined outside linebacker Frank Zombo of Central Michigan and cornerback Sam Shields of Miami as undrafted rookies making the team.

"They had a lot of linemen that were very similar and didn't stand out," an NFC scout said. "Giacomini isn't a great athlete and never did enough for you to say you liked him.

"I looked at McDonald. Athletic. Versatile. Fairly smart. He's got a pretty good up side."

Another scout saw McDonald this way: "Masher. Has some toughness. Wants to mix it up. Not very consistent. He's tough and has pretty good strength."

Giacomini lost out to left tackle Marshall Newhouse, one of six draft choices on the roster. A seventh, running back James Starks, is listed as physically unable to perform.

"The left-tackle thing is the reason why," one scout said. "He's done OK. The others don't give you the up side."

The Packers kept 10 offensive linemen, one more than they've had on opening day in nine of the last 10 years. The offensive contingent of 26 players was one more than they've had in any year since 2005.

Others '09 veterans on the cut list were wide receiver Patrick Williams, tight end-linebacker Spencer Havner, defensive end Jarius Wynn and outside linebacker Cyril Obiozor.

Nine "street" free agents were let go, including wide receivers Jason Chery and Charles Dillon, quarterback Graham Harrell, running back Kregg Lumpkin, defensive end Ronald Talley, linebackers Robert Francois and Maurice Simpkins, cornerback D.J. Clark and punter Chris Bryan.

The list of rookie free agents deemed expendable included wide receiver Chastin West, tackle Chris Campbell, inside linebacker Alex Joseph and safety Anthony Levine.

The Packers kept four tight ends, their most since 2006, but Havner wasn't one of them. They tried to deal Havner but didn't find a taker.

"Somebody will (claim) Havner," one scout said. "He didn't play bad last year. Made a lot of plays, actually. I wasn't surprised because (Andrew) Quarless is a better athlete than Havner. But I can't say I was enamored with (Tom) Crabtree."

The Packers released the hard-running Lumpkin after fullback John Kuhn showed them he could also serve as a respectable No. 3 running back.

Defensive end Justin Harrell looked to be in some trouble midway through camp when his back flared up again. But Harrell was able to play extensively in the last three exhibition games and seemed to get a little better in each one.

Rookie C.J. Wilson out-pointed Wynn in their battle for the No. 5 end job.

"Wynn didn't do a whole lot to wow anybody," one scout said.

For now, at least, the Packers have eight linebackers, one fewer than a year ago. The No. 8 linebacker is Zombo, who beat out Obiozor.

"I was kind of lukewarm on him," one personnel man said, referring to Zombo. "They must see something in him. He didn't flash what you'd expect."

With Al Harris out for at least the first six games on the physically unable to perform list, the Packers kept six cornerbacks. Shields seems to be No. 3.

"They might be in a hit or miss situation with Shields, leaning to miss," another scout said. "You can see the athleticism, but the technique has not matched up to the athleticism. Not real physical, either."

As for Brandon Underwood, Jarrett Bush and Pat Lee, the scout said, "A lot of guys still living off potential. None of them are at the arrived stage."

Veteran Charlie Peprah, who was cast adrift by Atlanta in early March, was re-signed by the Packers in April for the $630,000 minimum. He was the only player with previous regular-season experience that Thompson signed during the off-season.

When Peprah managed to stay healthy, the Packers decided to keep him over Blackmon and Levine.

The difference between Tim Masthay and Bryan was razor-thin throughout the off-season and for the bulk of training camp. Masthay appeared to settle the issue after improving his pooch punts and excelling on kickoffs.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
This did seem like the year when the Packers could have made a significant trade or two. Maybe they still will. In general, though, I think fans tend to overrate the role of trades in the NFL. There just aren't a lot of trades made, for whatever reason.

Off the top of my head, the only two I can remember by Thompson at roster cutdown time were Ryan Grant for a sixth round pick, which turned out to be a steal, and Derrick Martin for Tony Moll, which has been a mild success.

I guess the lack of trades is because football on the NFL level is such a "systems" game, so that once a player has worked with one team for awhile he is more valuable to that team than he would be to others. Sometimes a player is just a bad fit for a system, but those players are usually weeded out during the off-season.

I agree with beast that Desmond Bishop seemed like a good trade candidate. Talented but not real happy with his role here. But who knows if Ted even tried to shop him.
blank
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (1h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (6h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (8h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (10h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (11h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (11h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (11h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (12h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (22h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.