Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100906/PKR01/100906028/McCarthy-rolls-dice-with-Williams-at-punt-return 

Mike McCarthys decision to give the punt return job to Tramon Williams, one of his starting cornerbacks, can mean only one thing: Hes going all in this season.

The Green Bay Packers coach eschewed the conservative route and decided to roll the dice. Its a gamble because of how thin the roster is at cornerback and how important Williams is to the defense.

Already, the Packers are without long-time starter Al Harris, who is opening the season on the physically unable to perform list because his surgically repaired knee isnt ready. Hell miss at least the first six games. Second-year pro Brandon Underwood, the likely No. 3 cornerback in the nickel defense, probably wont play in Sundays regular-season opener at Philadelphia, either. That means rookie Sam Shields, who made the team as an undrafted free agent, could be the number three cornerback in Week 1.

Any further injuries in the secondary could be debilitating.

When the Packers put their top return man, Will Blackmon, on injured reserved on Saturday and gave him an injury settlement, meaning he will be released soon, it left them in a bind for a returner. Backup receiver Jordy Nelson will handle kickoff returns, even though he fumbled one in the wild-card playoff loss to Arizona last season and then got benched as a returner for the rest of that game.

McCarthy and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum could have gone the conservative route and used Nelson on punt returns, too. Instead, they decided to go with Williams and named starting receiver Greg Jennings as the backup punt returner.

I think some of the decisions I made in 07 were probably the most aggressive decisions from a personnel standpoint, and that was the healthiest team Ive coached, McCarthy said Monday. Does that play hand in hand? Who has the answers to those questions? But were going to line up, and were going to win football games, and Im talking about all three phases. So were going to have the best returner possible back there.

In their 13-3 season in 2007, McCarthy used star cornerback Charles Woodson as his primary punt returner. Williams and Blackmon also took turns, and Williams split kickoff return duties with Koren Robinson. Williams had a 94-yard punt return for a touchdown against Carolina that season, but that was on somewhat of a trick play, when the Panthers lined up for a field goal but pooch punted out of that formation.

Williams didnt do any returning in 2008, when Blackmon was the primary returner, and had 13 punt returns and two kickoff returns last year. On 19 career punt returns, he has an average of 13.3 yards a figure that would have ranked second in the NFC last season.

At this point, I dont think (anyone) else is coming in here, so Ill most likely be back there, Williams said. Its not a problem though. Im ready for it. Its something Ive done in the past. Its nothing new.

Dont expect Williams to just stand back there and call for fair catches.

Ive never been the type of guy who takes the conservative way out, Williams said. In my book, thats the way people get hurt, trying to be safe. Just go out and play.

Fatigue could also be a concern. There surely will be possessions in which Williams is on the field for lengthy drives and then will have to immediately return a punt.

I dont think that will be a problem, he said. I think Ill be prepared for that and in shape for that.

Meanwhile, Nelson is looking forward to another crack at the kick return job. There were some bright spots last season, when he averaged 25.4 yards on 25 returns in the regular season. His long return was 54 yards. He had a 99-yard return for a touchdown against the Detroit Lions on the opening kickoff called back because of a penalty. In that same game, he muffed a punt return and sprained his knee on the play. That injury kept him out the next three games.

Nelson wasnt a kickoff returner in college at Kansas State, so the third-year pro doesnt have a wealth of experience.

You always want more shots, more opportunities, Nelson said. Ive only done kickoff returns for two years, and its been the two years here. I think Im still learning. I had two fumbles last year that are unacceptable. But besides that, I think I did a solid job. If the one against Detroit that I returned for a touchdown but got called back, if that would have stood, I think the stats would have looked different. It just takes one big play, and it changes a lot.

UserPostedImage
wbd015
13 years ago
Looks like another year of average unexciting returns with the occasional fumble. This fits into my theory that this team, while great, will not be awesome. Only the Rams in 2000 won it all on offense.

We have:

Average special teams.
Average running game.
Cornerbacks without depth.

Not killers to success, but concerns for sure.
Save the ManBearPig!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
8 teams had a rusher with 1,200 or more yards. Yep, that's about average.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

Looks like another year of average unexciting returns with the occasional fumble. This fits into my theory that this team, while great, will not be awesome. Only the Rams in 2000 won it all on offense.

We have:

Average special teams.
Average running game.
Cornerbacks without depth.

Not killers to success, but concerns for sure.

"wbd015" wrote:

That Rams defense wasn't as bad a people think. Kevin Carter was a monster that year and they were very opportunistic.
wbd015
13 years ago
13 teams had more overall rushing yards. 1200 yards from your #1 rusher is nice, but the overall threat was not spectacular. For our offensive attack, it's fine. I'm more worried about special teams and defensive backs.
Save the ManBearPig!
doddpower
13 years ago
I'm with all that hate the idea of having valuable starters returning kicks / punts.

Lame.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I'm with all that hate the idea of having valuable starters returning kicks / punts.

Lame.

"doddpower" wrote:

This is unlikely due to the differences between the two positions, but I'd like us to have a fourth spot used for special teams.

K
P
LS
KR/PR

Field position is always spoken about, but yet the men returning the ball to advance said position are usually utility players.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Come on, you they should just let Jordy return kicks, and with punts take someone who can catch the ball and get fair catches every time. I've had enough of muffs, fumbles and injuries.
This is a placeholder
Mckennj3
13 years ago
Man that is risky, i'd much rather put a guy like Jackson to fair catch or return the odd one then put someone as valuable as Williams. Shit i'd rather have Jennings return them, at least we are really deep in the receiver department.
I can't even imagine Williams going down. We would have a undrafted rookie, who has played a whopping 1 year of CB as our 2nd cb. scary stuff.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
musccy
13 years ago

I can't even imagine Williams going down. We would have a undrafted rookie, who has played a whopping 1 year of CB as our 2nd cb. scary stuff.

"Mckennj3" wrote:

This coincides with one of the other recent threads on here about who your most valuable 10 are...like you said, sans tramon, we're screwed right now!

On one hand if you have 6 or so punts/game, 1/2 of them will be fair caught, so it amounts to 3 extra meaningful plays/game which he risks getting hurt...compared to 50 or however many defensive snaps, it seems small potatoes, but none the less, this makes me nervous as hell!
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (4h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (10h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (11h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (11h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (14h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (14h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (14h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (15h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (15h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.