Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Sure it was an ugly road to get there this season, Hoffman may have tested time by a year to long.. but watching that moment last night was fitting and something I have missed for a while in sports.. stopping to celebrate an athlete that truly has done it the right way both on and off the field.

Congrats Trevor.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/102394654.html 

It was a moment that Trevor Hoffman wasn't certain would happen in 2010, if ever.

"I was a player who was questioning if I had enough to get things done," he admitted.

[img_r]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/pack93z/Hoffman600.jpg[/img_r]

All questions were erased in a glorious scene Tuesday night that made a cool September evening electric for a disappointing team that never climbed into the pennant race.

When Hoffman recorded his 600th career save to nail down the Milwaukee Brewers' 4-2 victory over St. Louis at Miller Park, the outpouring of respect, gratitude and sheer joy, from teammates as well as the 33,149 in the stands, was something to behold.

"If you love the game, it's going to love you back," said Hoffman, the game's all-time saves leader.

It had been mostly tough love for the longest time, since the 42-year-old changeup artist melted down in the early weeks of the season and lost the closer's job. After blowing five of his first 10 save chances, the banner beyond the bullpen remained stuck on No. 596 for a seemingly interminable time.

"It tested me in a lot of different areas, a lot of different ways," said Hoffman.

But Hoffman kept working, got his game back together and made manager Ken Macha comfortable again with the idea of him finishing games. Rookie John Axford remained the No. 1 closer, but Macha began to look for openings for Hoffman, who held up his end of the bargain.

"His work ethic and perseverance paid off," said Macha, who had to watch the milestone from his office after being ejected in the second inning. "He had to grind it out to get there."

Once Axford escaped a two-on, two-out jam in the eighth by striking out Yadier Molina, pitching coach Rick Peterson went inside to talk with Macha. The decision was made to go to Hoffman, and when he began loosening up in the bullpen, cheers emanated from the stands.

By the time the bullpen door opened and the familiar "Hells Bells" blared from the sound system, everyone was standing, whooping it up. A bloop single by Colby Rasmus was erased when pinch-hitter Randy Winn grounded into a double play, and the decibel level rose as Hoffman faced another pinch-hitter, Aaron Miles.

Miles grounded out to shortstop Craig Counsell, which the always respectful Hoffman noted was a fitting capper to the historic evening.

"The final out was hit to Milwaukee's own, sure-handed Craig Counsell," said Hoffman.

Hoffman immediately was mobbed by teammates in front of the mound, as fellow relievers raced in from the bullpen. Then came a truly special moment, as wife Tracy and sons Brody, Quinn and Wyatt emerged to embrace the emotional hero.

[img_r]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj103/pack93z/Hoffman6002.jpg[/img_r]

Kids left school

In anticipation of the occasion, Tracy had removed the couple's three sons from school in Del Mar, Calif., to be on hand should No. 600 become a reality.

"I'm sure they'd like to stay out of school longer," joked Hoffman, tears welling in his eyes as he looked their way. "Family is everything."

As for the fans who stuck with him during the tough times, Hoffman said, "They appreciate people that work hard. It's a fabric of what this town is about. I'm honored to put on this uniform for them."

Before Hoffman's emergence from the bullpen, it was a game marred by ongoing conflicts with the umpires. Macha was ejected for disputing an interference call at second base on Counsell by umpire Tim Timmons that erased an apparent run for the Brewers.

St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan was ejected from his perch in the dugout by home plate umpire Bob Davidson for protesting a ball call with Corey Hart at the plate in the third inning. And Davidson wasn't done.

After taking a called third strike in the fifth inning, Brewers centerfielder Chris Dickerson slammed his bat and helmet to the ground as he walked away. Davidson immediately ejected Dickerson for that display.

Davidson's most unusual and unexpected dismissal came in the seventh inning when he had security remove a fan from behind home plate. The fan reportedly was heckling Cards catcher Molina to the point that Davidson decided he had to go.

Hoffman noted the game had a "weird feeling" to it but that was all forgotten after save No. 600 went into the books.

"You can't allow yourself to put the cart in front of the horse," said Hoffman. "You don't let your mind wander that it's going to happen. I'm just thankful I've been given the opportunity to get there."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
13 years ago
Something positive in this bad season for the Brewers
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
There were a ton of positives to a team that wasn't going to truly compete this season.

Cain came up and took his spot for the next 5 to 10 years.

Axford locked down the Closer role for next season.

We found a collection of young power thrower for the pen..

Learning the power throwers can get by will less than commanding stuff.. it taught the Brewers a lesson.. no more candy ass arms in the starting rotation to big money.. one maybe.. 4 doesn't work.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Cheesey
13 years ago
Glad to see he made it. Now he can walk away with the record under his belt. I think he's probably done now.
"Father time" has obviously caught up with him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (21h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (21h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.