go.pack.go.
13 years ago
I thought we looked pretty good on defense and special teams, and unexpectedly we didn't look too good on offense.

Clay Matthews is the real deal. He had 2 sacks and a forced fumble, and then the big stop at the end of the game on 4th and 1.

Greg Jennings showed that he is one of the best receivers in the game. His one handed catch was just simply amazing.

B.J. Raji showed he can be a premier NT in this league. I will go more in-depth in my thread strictly about Raji.

Justin Harrell hurt his knee on the first Crosby field goal. Didn't look good. It isn't his fault that someone rolled up on him....he's just extremely unlucky.

That brings me to saying that Crosby has quieted the critics. Looked great out there today. Boomed in a 45 and 56 yard field goal. The 56 yarder looked like it would have been good from 60+ yards.

Thoughts?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
Bill Micheals on the postgame show says Harrell's got an ankle. I guess it got rolled up on pretty bad, so it's a legit injury. Unrelated to the back.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
stevegb
13 years ago
I thought the dline looked amazing out there. Raji especially with great push and eating up blockers.

Clay was outstanding as was charles. Charles' strip was brilliant.

Wasn't happy with the mentality dom came out with in the second half and more specifically the calls he was making at the end of the game. Its like he ended up trying to save the game rather than win it. We will not beat top teams if we aren't trying to bury them into the ground at all stages.

Aaron was average. Its like he seemed to lose focus at the end.

Jordy was great on returns.

Zombo was great I really like him.

And Grant was good before the injury, I hope its not too serious.
blank
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago

Wasn't happy with the mentality dom came out with in the second half and more specifically the calls he was making at the end of the game. Its like he ended up trying to save the game rather than win it. We will not beat top teams if we aren't trying to bury them into the ground at all stages.

"stevegb" wrote:

Please enlighten us to the plays you would have called against a Vick that looked like the player who made 3 pro-bowls.

Honestly, did you see the number of times we collapsed the pocket, only to see Vick get out on the edge and use his legs to make plays? Any other QB, and we get a few more sacks. Instead, with Vick's speed, he escapes and finds open space.

Add to that the fact that our players were clearly gassed (that tends to happen when you expand energy chasing the QB down once he escapes).

Even more, we had a D with only 2 healthy D-linemen (Harrell leg injury, Jenkins broke his left hand, Neil did not suit up), and even though Jenkins returned he clearly was having trouble wrapping up with the cast on his hand.

Considering Capers did not game-plan for Vick taking most of the snaps as QB, I'm okay with our performance. We have to do better against better teams, but considering the circumstances today I cannot whine about our play.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
I am very, very concerned about our OTs. Taush and Clifton looked old, and that does not bode well for A-Rod.

Either McCarthy gets the problem fixed, or Ted is going to be feeling some major heat for resigning players who cannot keep his franchise player upright.

Unacceptable play from Taush and Cliffy, and I hope someone at least gets in their face about it.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Cheesey
13 years ago
Things changed greatly when Vick was out there. Had it been Kolb, i think we would have buried him.
But in the end our D came through when it mattered most.
They made the 4th and one stop that saved the game.
Rodgers looked nervous out there. I think it was first game of the season gitters.
Grant looked real good till the injury.
Kuhn ran REALLY hard. So did Jackson.
Clay was great. Finley looked really sharp.
I think we are in for a great season.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
That was the worst game I've seen Aaron Rodgers play at least since Tampa Bay last year. It was below par for an NFL QB. Some misfires early in the game and two horrible interceptions, plus he absolutely failed to make a play down the stretch even when he had decent protection.

Nice to see Clay Matthews prove the doubters wrong, although I'm sure some fans will say that the sacks were nothing special because they were "just speed rushes."

B.J. had a very good game, which was great to see after his lackluster performance in the preseason. He is our anchor. The D-line in general was good.

The Kolb injury was the worst thing that could've happened to the Packers. Vick is a wild card out there. He creates chaos and can win a game single-handedly. He darn near did it. He had some really nice runs and throws and was lucky to get away with some bad throws. His running ability neutralized the pass rush. For the entire second half I was having flashbacks to that playoff game at Lambeau Field in January 2003.

The Grant injury looked like the kind that will keep him off the field for at least a couple weeks, probably more. Ankle injuries are not good for running backs. Jackson and Kuhn did a good job as backups, but the Packers will probably need to call up that RB on the practice squad.

Overall, a good win in a place where it's always tough to play. I think the offense's off day will prove to be a bit of an anomaly, and I'm encouraged by how well the defense played, at least until Vick came in there and turned it into a sandlot game.
blank
RaiderPride
13 years ago
Winning in Philadelphia is not a walk in the park. Especially when it is the first game of the season, the fans are stoked, and the Eagles are fired up for their first appearance in front of the home crowd.

This was a great TEAM WIN.

This win sets the tone and barometer for the trip to Texas. That is all that matters to me tonight.

I am going to start counting stats after week two, start evaluating players after week two.

SUPERB WIN.

Just freaking perfect in my mind.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
bigfog
13 years ago
Um, I'm just glad that one is over. Was the Linc built over an indian burial ground?

Also, word is that Harrell has a torn ACL. That totally sucks.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
longtimefan
13 years ago

This was a great TEAM WIN.

"RaiderPride" wrote: