agopackgo4
13 years ago
Why is it do you think, with the numbers that Ryan Grant puts up, that a lot of packer fans don't really give him a lot of credit? Only looking for people who are not high on grant to answer here...I am one who is not a big fan of grant. and my therory is that while he does put up nice numbers, it goes deeper than that, he does not have an impact on games or at least it seems that way. Why do you overlook him?
Pack93z
13 years ago
From reading the rants and talking with many a Packer fan.. mostly because he wasn't flashy.. wasn't a guy the created much more than what was in front of him.. lacked elusiveness.

More of a north south plow through them runner that didn't run exceptionally well off his blocks.. he defined a zone runner one cut and go, but as well never broke it off with great vision.

Productive and dependability overlooked because he lacked that flash.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
blueleopard
13 years ago
His play on the field didn't look a thing like the way he played as soon as he got his chance in 2007.

He amassed 956 yards in like 8 games.

Who's to blame? The offensive line? It's been the same.

Grant is still valuable to this team, but he ain't no Ahman Green.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
peteralan71
13 years ago

His play on the field didn't look a thing like the way he played as soon as he got his chance in 2007.

"blueleopard" wrote:

Correct, he's not. He doesn't fumble all the time.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
13 years ago
First, good question.

Second, I'll out myself as someone who used to be in the "I want someone better!" crowd. In my case, it's because RB is "my" position. I played it, and most of my football heroes were/are RBs. Due to that, I tend to want whoever I think is the best RB to play for the Packers, always.

But, last year Grant shut me up (with assistance from some of the posters here). First, the guy, up til last week, never missed time. He was solid, he was available, and he was dependable. Second, he rarely ever fumbled or botched his blocking assignments - so he didn't contribute to negative plays - you weren't taking the good with the bad. Finally - and this part was the hardest for me to suss out - the team has no need for a Chris Johnson or an Adrian Peterson. It's a passing team with a pass-oriented offense. They want to be able to rely on the RB to consistently pick up a few yards to ensure they're in favorable down-and-distance situations, and to make sure he keeps his protections up for Rodgers. Purely a setup role, and while I'd love nothing more than 4 yards and a cloud of dust, that's just not how this team rolls.

Fans are people, and people want the best, always. As fans, a lot of us want who we consider to be the best at every position, and a place like this affords folks the chance to air out their own desires. I doubt most posters here seriously feel that the Packers should go out and acquire a Jonathan Stewart* - they just wish they would, even though guys like that are wasted in the Packers' offense.

My .02 cents.

*never happen - for one, Carolina's not giving him up.
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago

"blueleopard" wrote:

Thief, that's what I was going to say. :thumbleft:

Grant doesn't break enough tackles and he seems to go down too easily. I've described him as having TNS.

I'm not loosing any sleep over this injury, but then again I fall asleep watching television almost nightly.

Brandon now has his opportunity that Grant seized in 07. Let's see how things play out.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
1: Leaves too many yards on the field.

2: Doesn't cut as well as Jackson. Seems like he has to stop to change direction.

3: Lacks vision. Doesn't see holes.

4: Adequate, but not great speed.

5: Doesn't show up until week 10.

6: Can't catch.

Other than all that, he's great.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Stevetarded
13 years ago

"peteralan71" wrote:

"blueleopard" wrote:

Yeah like that's the main difference between the two
blank
peteralan71
13 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

"peteralan71" wrote:

Yeah like that's the main difference between the two

"blueleopard" wrote:

No. What I am saying is that he doesn't hold the record for most rushing yards like Green does, but he has silently been one of the top rushers in the league since 2006. And I would much rather have him put up lets say 20 less yards a game than have him put the ball on the ground. Fumbling is the worst thing that a RB can do, and we all know that Green had a major problem with fumbling.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
agopackgo4
13 years ago
Green for the most part did get his fumbling under control. I mean to the point where he was effective and was not losing games for the Packers. Or puting them in extremely bad situations. Early on i could not stand Green! But I came around on him eventually.