Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Vikings turn it over, lose 14-10

By Tim Yotter
VikingUpdate.com
Posted Sep 19, 2010

[img_r]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/85/853657.jpg[/img_r]Brett Favre accounted for all four Vikings turnovers, putting a damper on a solid running game and defensive effort in a 14-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Last year, Brett Favre threw two interceptions in the Metrodome on his way to a 9-0 record at home. This year, he already has three interceptions and one loss in one game on Mall of America Field.

Without his top target, Sidney Rice, Favre is struggling to find a rhythm with his receivers and its translating into an offense that is largely devoid of touchdowns. In a 14-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins, the only touchdown the Vikings could muster was following a fumble recovery on the Dolphins 1-yard line.

It wasnt for a lack of moving the ball. Favre had 225 yards passing, it was three interceptions and a fumble in the end zone that did in the Vikings.

The one thing is hes a free-wheeler, Vikings coach Brad Childress said. You dont want to cut down that aggressiveness because when you get tentative and cautious, thats no way to play the game. Typically hes shooting it, and you want him to keep shooting it.

Unfortunately for the Vikings, three of Favres passes shot into the hands of the Dolphins, with cornerback Jason Allen coming away with two of the interceptions.

For most of the game, the Vikings were moving the ball effectively enough. Adrian Peterson had 145 yards rushing on 28 carries and added 41 yards in the passing game. Tight end Visanthe Shiancoe had another big game as well, catching six passes for 86 yards, but when Percy Harvin left the game after re-injuring his hip in the second quarter, the offense looked even more limited.

Early on, that wasnt a problem.

The Vikings drove across midfield and into scoring position on their first drive with a heavy dose of Peterson and Harvin, but on fourth-and-2 from the 26-yard line, Brad Childress elected to go for the first down and Favres pass was batted down at the line of scrimmage.

The Dolphins didnt take long to reverse field position. On their first play from scrimmage, QB Chad Henne threw deep for Brandon Marshall down the right sideline and hit him in stride for a 46-yard gain over Lito Sheppard. Five straight runs picked up two first downs and the Dolphins were inside the 5-yard line. It took them three plays, but Henne finally found Brian Hartline in the back of the end zone for a 5-yard touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

The Vikings second drive ended with a sack and the Dolphins offense went back to work. This time, an explosive pass to Brian Hartline (for 19 yards) started the drive, but they moved across midfield with more moderate gains before the Vikings forced a punt following a Kevin Williams sack.

Minnesota couldnt take advantage, despite getting into the red zone. Shiancoe did most of the damage on the drive with back-to-back catches of 18 and 32 yards, and the offense got down to the 13-yard line. However, on third-and-12, Favre threw slightly behind Harvin, who tipped the ball in the air and CB Vontae Davis grabbed it at the 1-yard line before it hit the ground.

Once again, the Dolphins started with an explosive play, a 51-yard run by Ronnie Brown, but the defense stiffened with the ball at midfield and the teams traded possessions going into halftime.

The Vikings avoided giving up the big plays defensively in the second half, but the offense continued to be a problem. Backed up to their own 5-yard line on their first drive, Cameron Wake slipped around Shiancoe and Phil Loadholt and knocked the ball out of Favres hand as he cocked to throw. When Koa Misi recovered in the end zone, the Dolphins had a 14-0 lead with 6:29 to play in the third quarter.

And Favre just continued to turn it over.

On the Vikings next possession, he found Shiancoe for 19 yards, Berrian for 20 and Jim Kleinsasser for 20 on consecutive throws. But once inside the red zone, he went for a back-shoulder throw for Bernard Berrian and Jason Allen came away with the interception.

The defense stood up again this time on the very next play from scrimmage. Ricky Williams took a handoff and E.J. Henderson was on him quickly, causing a fumble that was recovered by Erin Henderson.

This time, the ball was close enough to the goal line for the offense to take advantage. After a pass was batted away in the end zone, Peterson put the first Vikings points of the game on the board with a 1-yard run, making it 14-7 with 2:38 to play in the third quarter.

The defense did its job once again, and the Vikings were clearly starting to feel momentum. A steady of dose of Peterson helped them put together their longest drive of the game. On the second play from scrimmage, he found a cutback lane and went 23 yards. One play later, he went 12 yards, and the forward progress continued thanks to a 1-yard dive that allowed Naufahu Tahi to pick up just barely enough yardage to convert fourth down. Peterson exploded for another 18-yard run, but when Favre was sacked on third down, Childress called for the field goal unit and Ryan Longwell converted the 28-yarder to draw the Vikings within four points, 14-10, with 7:52 to play.

The defense forced another three-and-out, but Favre quickly returned the ball to the Dolphins when he went deep for Berrian and Jason Allen intercepted another pass.

In a broken record, the defense responded in kind. Ronnie Brown took a handoff and Pat Williams pounced on him, causing a fumble that E.J. Henderson corralled.

With the ball on the Dolphins 24-yard line, the Vikings were in prime scoring position. Once again, they turned to Peterson, who delivered with 20 yards on three carries, but when they continued to feed him the ball, Miami began swarming him. In two carries, he got it down to the 1-yard line, but a fourth-down carry went nowhere when Karlos Dansby tied him up and the Dolphins avoided losing the lead for the first time in the game.

Taking possession with 2:16 to play, Miami gained one first down on a Chad Greenway holding penalty, but the Dolphins still had to punt it away and Minnesota took possession at its own 45-yard line with 1:41 to play. Favre started with two incompletions on balls that Shiancoe and Greg Lewis could have had, but Favre returned to Lewis for a 14-yard pickup on third down. Peterson moved the chains again with a 10-yard reception, but the 27-yard line was as close as the Vikings would get. Down by four points, they completed a short pass to Berrian, but three straight incompletions ended the game.

With three games before the bye, the Vikings were hoping for a strong early start. Instead, the offense has struggled to score, putting up nine points in New Orleans and 10 against the Dolphins in the Metrodome. That has translated into an 0-2 start with four Favre interceptions in two games.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
I wonder if Favre is second guessing his decision to return for this season?
Or how his teammates that went down to talk him into returning feel right now?
UserPostedImage
HatestheF.I.B.s
13 years ago
How many players do you think it will take to throw old man waffel on a plane back to Miss. after CMIII breaks him?
blank
Cheesey
13 years ago
Again, i wonder if he will even be their QB by the time we play them? He may be benched.
At this time, i'm more afraid of what Jackson could do then Favre.
Of course you never know with Favre.....he can kill you, or self destruct.
UserPostedImage
HatestheF.I.B.s
13 years ago
I think he would retire before sitting on the bench and ending his streak. It would be another tearful exit. Somthing about "loosing the joy for the game...Blah... Blah...Minniapolis is full of homos ..Blah Blah.....I quit." No way would he let Mr. Burns have final say on the streak. If that were to happen would he call the Loins and give them some inside info?
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (22h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.