macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
$190K turned into $1.7M with penalties and interest. Sounds like a lot of his assets (home, tavern, etc) were in other people's names and the gov't apparently can't touch them.

The GBPressGazette link below has pictures of the ring.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110623/PKR01/110623159/1058/Fuzzy-Thurston-s-Super-Bowl-II-ring-being-sold-help-settle-1-7M-tax-debt 

Fuzzy Thurston’s Super Bowl II ring will be sold at auction in August as part of the government’s 28-year battle over taxes with the former Green Bay Packers lineman.

U.S. marshals seized Thurston’s ring, awarded at the end of the 1967 season, and plan to sell it to recover some of the $1.7 million the government claims Thurston owes in back taxes.

The sale comes just weeks after the Packers received Super Bowl XLV rings for their victory at the end of the 2010 season.

According to documents filed in U.S. District Court’s Western District, the government had hoped to sell more than just one of Thurston’s rings. A court order dated last week calls for the sale of rings from Super Bowl I and II, NFL championship rings from 1958, 1961, 1962 and 1965, other sports memorabilia and a gold watch.

It appears authorities have not managed to get hold of those items.

Heritage Auctions, a Texas auction house, has been appointed by the court to sell Thurston’s assets but has only one of Thurston’s Super Bowl rings along with his 1960 Packers helmet and two 1960 footballs signed by members of the Packers, including coach Vince Lombardi.

The ring will be auctioned at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., on Aug. 4, along with a variety of unrelated sports memorabilia. Thurston’s helmet and the footballs will be offered in the Fall Heritage Sports auction that closes Nov. 11.

The Super Bowl ring is expected to fetch more than $20,000, although auction officials expect a spirited bidding that could take the final price much higher.

There have been other instances of Super Bowl I or Super Bowl II rings being sold in the past, but the Thurston ring likely will be considered one of the most popular player rings offered from either of the first two Super Bowls.

Paul Hornung’s Super Bowl I ring sold for approximately $40,000 in 2002, while former offensive lineman Steve Wright sold his Super Bowl I ring last month for $73,409.

Elijah Pitts’ Super Bowl II ring once sold for approximately $30,000, although the diamonds in that ring were replaced with faux diamonds.

A Super Bowl I ring is considered more desirable than one from Super Bowl II, although the Super Bowl II ring represents Lombardi’s final championship.

“We understand that Thurston is one of the most beloved Packers in history, and rightfully so, but we’re confident his fans will understand that Heritage is simply the auction house chosen by the courts,” said Chris Ivy, the director of sports auctions for Heritage Auctions. “We hope to reach out to fans who might wish to purchase the material to return it to Thurston, but obviously we had nothing to do with its forfeiture.”

Thurston, 77, played for the Packers from 1959 to 1967.

His tax battles stem from his post-Packers days, when he and business partners opened a chain of restaurants under the Left Guard name, after the position Thurston played for the Packers. In the mid-1970s, the chain had restaurants in Green Bay and several other cities in Wisconsin as well as one in Miami, Fla., all of which were sold or closed by the early 1980s.

According to the complaint filed in 1983, Thurston and his partners withheld federal income taxes from their employees’ salaries but then failed to turn some of that money over to the Internal Revenue Service. The problem occurred between 1978 and 1980 at the chain’s Janesville restaurant, the complaint said.

The money is referred to as trust fund taxes because employers hold their employees’ money in trust until it is turned over as a federal tax deposit. The employee can be held liable for money not turned over, and, in Thurston’s case, the employee sued him and his three partners in federal court.

Thurston’s three partners paid off judgments against them, but Thurston remained embroiled in a battle over whether his part of the judgment also was satisfied. The court ruled in 1984 that it was not and ordered Thurston to pay $190,806.

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin renewed the judgment against Thurston on April 28, 2004, and placed a lien on a condominium that Thurston owned in Naples, Fla.

The case remains unresolved. With interest, Thurston’s debt stands at a little more than $1.7 million, according to court documents.

Calls to Thurston’s Waupaca home weren’t answered Wednesday or Thursday. Green Bay lawyer Owen Monfils, who represented Thurston through some of his tax battles, said he was certain Thurston didn’t owe “nearly as much as the government claims.”

A lawyer who Monfils said represented Thurston in more recent years didn’t return calls Thursday from the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Prosecutors conducted depositions of Thurston’s family members and business associates to try to learn his assets. The depositions revealed Thurston’s personal property included the championship rings, court documents say.

Thurston’s home in Waupaca County has a value of $623,900 but is in his wife’s name, according to the Waupaca County land listings office.

Fuzzy’s Shenanigan’s, a tavern that Thurston owned for about 15 years, first in Allouez and later on Green Bay's west side, was in Thurston’s son’s name until being sold about a year ago, according to the Green Bay city clerk’s office.

GBPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy one of these items knowing that the proceeds were going to the government.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (22h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (23h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.