beast
10 years ago

Kuhn's nothing special as a blocker. Never has been. He's a slow HB who bulked up to make the team at FB. His specialization is those fake FB dive plays in short yardage.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You're right Kuhn isn't special... but he's better than you imply at what he's asked to do. Which you seem to think the runs are mainly what he's asked to do, which mistaken.

Kuhn is asked to pass block, run block, play STs, go out for passing routes all more often than running that FB dive play.

Kuhn doesn't blow up running lane, he doesn't catch long passes, he doesn't go for long runs... but the Packers don't ask their FBs to do that. They ask them to take at least once guy out when blocking (which he does), be the dump off guy and catch the ball when it comes to you, and get as many yards as you can on the running plays. All which he does. You're right he's not special, but he does fit all of the things the Packers ask from their FB which others have not.

None of the RBs block as well as him, the back-up TEs can sometimes block like him, but they've had a bad case of butter fingers lately (other than maybe Crabtree, who's now gone) and they're not as good at blocking ether.

Kuhn specialty is haven't no specialty, in that fact that he can do it all... he's not great at anything but he does enough of everything with very limited mistakes to stick around year after year for a while now. He's been the swiss army knife, we'll see if he can keep it up.

UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

Probably because that's more of a role for DJ Williams. Weren't most of his snaps last year as an h-back?

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Yeah Williams and Taylor got a good number of snaps at H-Back, and I wouldn't mind if they got a shot at FB as well to see what they could do. Though I think Taylor has more power and might be better at FB.

I really have liked Williams, but he seemed to drop passes all the time when the ball came near. And Taylor has been very good on STs blocking and some on offense as well.
UserPostedImage
brandland
10 years ago
in my opinion i think lacy will be the starter with franklin at #2 harris will be used in some schemes due to being ssmaller and faster. green i think will be #4 . i seen someone ask why lacy. lacy runs into you then over you. it is very rare that one guy can tackle him. he ran over 5 of this years first round draft picks. he is a bruiser thats why lacy. franklin has some really great cuts and shows great bursts after the cuts. thats why in my opinion they are #1 and #2 . starks is going to be cut most likely due to staying injured but thats just my opinion
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago

You're right Kuhn isn't special... but he's better than you imply at what he's asked to do. Which you seem to think the runs are mainly what he's asked to do, which mistaken.

Kuhn is asked to pass block, run block, play STs, go out for passing routes all more often than running that FB dive play.

Kuhn doesn't blow up running lane, he doesn't catch long passes, he doesn't go for long runs... but the Packers don't ask their FBs to do that. They ask them to take at least once guy out when blocking (which he does), be the dump off guy and catch the ball when it comes to you, and get as many yards as you can on the running plays. All which he does. You're right he's not special, but he does fit all of the things the Packers ask from their FB which others have not.

None of the RBs block as well as him, the back-up TEs can sometimes block like him, but they've had a bad case of butter fingers lately (other than maybe Crabtree, who's now gone) and they're not as good at blocking ether.

Kuhn specialty is haven't no specialty, in that fact that he can do it all... he's not great at anything but he does enough of everything with very limited mistakes to stick around year after year for a while now. He's been the swiss army knife, we'll see if he can keep it up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I question the idea that the RBs, especially Lacy, are not as good blockers as Kuhn. It's probable, I guess, that Kuhn will get paid well to do the variety of things he does - but not very well - for another year. I'd prefer split backs with Lacy and Franklin on the field together pretty much full time. Barring that, I'd rather see one or more of the TEs cross trained as a fullback and Kuhn gone. But Thompson/McCarthy make the decisions, and their record is impressive.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
10 years ago

I question the idea that the RBs, especially Lacy, are not as good blockers as Kuhn. It's probable, I guess, that Kuhn will get paid well to do the variety of things he does - but not very well - for another year. I'd prefer split backs with Lacy and Franklin on the field together pretty much full time. Barring that, I'd rather see one or more of the TEs cross trained as a fullback and Kuhn gone. But Thompson/McCarthy make the decisions, and their record is impressive.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I want to see Taylor backing up both FB and TE, I think he could do both and maybe beat out Kuhn. Who knows... Williams is another guy as well but I feel he would be better at H-Back and TE than FB.

I've heard Lacy is a great blocker but compared to whom? Compared to other college RBs (who mostly do limited to no blocking) then I agree. As Lacy will go towards the guy and put a hit on them... but he doesn't stick on them. Meaning after the hit they can keep going and get passed him. I remember one play where Lacy came up and hit the blitzer hard where you could clearly hear the impact, but he knocked him to the side towards the left side and out of the pocket, but the blitzer then went towards the QB and would of had a sack if the LG wasn't clear and come and took the blitzer out (which was awesome seeing that 320+ OG basically block/tackle the 220+ blitzer)

Also has Lacy have run blocked for a team mate?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (41m) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (1h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (1h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (1h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (2h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (2h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (4h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.