Zero2Cool
a year ago

UserPostedImage
GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers saved their best for last.

In the final practice before full attention turns toward Week 1 next week, coach Matt LaFleur conducted what he called a “game-like practice.” Practice was split into four quarters. Get stopped on third down? Punt. Score a touchdown? Kick off. Two-minute drills were mixed in. College officials were on hand to police the activities.

“It was the best practice of camp,” quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. Even better than the joint practices against the Saints, he added.

The offense dominated Day 1 of training camp. Rodgers called the defense “chumps” afterward. Exactly 35 days later, who won the final practice?

“The offense,” Rodgers said. He said he threw touchdown passes to tight end Robert Tonyan and receiver Randall Cobb in a two-minute drill. Tonyan also caught one of Jordan Love’s two touchdown passes. Rodgers said AJ Dillon had four catches during one series.

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

Just adds to my theory of removing preseason and adding a developmental league.
UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago
Rodgers wants more game like practices? , Isn't that the preseason games?

Just adds to my theory of removing preseason and adding a developmental league.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sounds like that's what the Rock and the XFL are trying to do as well...

Sounds like they signed some sort of agreement, where the NFL will be able to test new rules in the XFL and see how they like them there before taking them to the NFL...

Which in some ways is a huge step, as normally the NFL hates or refuses to take even good rules from other leagues, as they don't want to be seen as followers, but also refuse to be the first one to change, stupidly putting themselves in a catch-22...

But seriously, for overtime, the NFL needs to decided weather they don't have overtime, or it's sudden death, or if they want "fairness" just copy some form of the college overtime rules... maybe change it up a bit, but college figured out a fair way... NFL needs to stop trying to reinventing the wheel... the options are clearly out there... pick one... either none, sudden death, or one of the clearly fair ways that have been brought up, but NFL refuses them all...

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Rodgers wants more game like practices? , Isn't that the preseason games?

Originally Posted by: beast 

No, because teams don't want that stuff on tape for other teams to study. That is why coaches like joint practices. They can work on schemes and not divulge that to the All-22 watchers in the NFL. That's my speculation on it anyway based on everything I've heard about preseason over the last few years. It's just very vanilla and no one game plans. With practice, you are game planning.

Sounds like that's what the Rock and the XFL are trying to do as well...

Sounds like they signed some sort of agreement, where the NFL will be able to test new rules in the XFL and see how they like them there before taking them to the NFL...

Which in some ways is a huge step, as normally the NFL hates or refuses to take even good rules from other leagues, as they don't want to be seen as followers, but also refuse to be the first one to change, stupidly putting themselves in a catch-22...

Originally Posted by: beast 

You're shitting me. Dwayne Johnson is ripping my ideas???

UserPostedImage
beast
a year ago

You're shitting me. Dwayne Johnson is ripping my ideas???

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

1) That's Mr. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to you...

2) My understanding is the agreement allows the XFL to be a rule testing grounds for the NFL... and they don't like the term "developmental league"... as it's the rules only, not nessarily the players.

21 Feb 2022

NEW YORK – FEBRUARY 21, 2022 – The XFL today announced it would collaborate with the NFL on select innovation programs to further expand the game of football and create increased opportunities for player development both on and off the field.

Health and safety will be a principal area of focus in both learning and innovation, with the XFL working with the NFL on forward thinking physical and mental fitness programs for players, the study of playing surfaces and equipment and the sharing of game trends and data.

“We are extremely pleased to collaborate with the NFL in these important areas,” said Dany Garcia, Co-Owner and Chairwoman of the XFL. “We are bringing forward an XFL that is progressive and forward-thinking when it comes to innovation, leveraging the newest technology to enhance gameday experience. We have an open field for innovative rules to enhance in-game access. Sharing insights and practices between the XFL and NFL will do a tremendous amount of good for the game of football and support the player ecosystem overall.”

xfl.com/  wrote:

3) Though the XFL did sign an agreement with the "NFL Alumni Academy", to sort of be their development league, and the NFL Alumni Academy does have a logo that look awfully similar to the NFL logo... and the NFL has usually been extremely sue happy with anyone using their names or logos, but they haven't seemed to even warn NFL Alumni Academy, which has made people believe that either the NFL hasn't taken notice of them, or the NFL is a secret partner with them some how. But as part of that agreement, the NFL was hashtagged a lot, so it would be extremely hard for people to believe the NFL hasn't noticed them...

But officially from what people can tell publicly, there does not seem to be a direct connection between the NFL and NFL Alumni Academy, but it almost seems like there has to be, otherwise lawsuits over logos would of happened already.

Long story short, they're a rule development league, and maybe an unofficial semi-developmental league?

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
a year ago
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Putting the safety issue asside,.
Wouldn't The #1's going against each other in real time be a whole lot more beneficial to both sides, than running a few plays against a Vanilla defense, which most team run in preseason games?

Not too many NFL defenses are going to have the talent The Packers have this year.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
bboystyle
a year ago
I dunno why teams stop doing the dress up game (2nd to last preseason game) where the #1s play a full quarter or two.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (16h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.