luigis
7 years ago
My take:

1(27) Kenny Clark DT UCLA: Wasn't my pick but I recognize I was probably wrong and Teddy might got this one right. We've had bad luck picking big guys for our defense, from all the DLs in the draft Clark has the most upside, he is very young and very coachable. I like the pick but honestly I would have taken one of the big names...

2(17) Jason Spriggs OT Indiana: I must confess his name was flashing in my board, when I saw we had traded up I said "it has to be Spriggs" and it was. This is a very good OT that I think you can plug in the line and become a starter whenever you need him. Barclay is no longer our best backup tackle and that makes me happy.

3(25) Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State: I LOVED this pick because Fackrell is a "different" player, watch him play if you didn't and you'll see he is strange, weird, he tries to read the play before the snap and compensates power with surprise. He can rush and he can cover sometimes he does both things! I think Fackrell can also be a great ST player and while I'm sure Mike McCarthy won't do it he is a hell of a player for trick plays.

4(33) Blake Martinez ILB Stanford : The one and only pick I didn't like, the good thing is that Martinez is completely different than Fackrell so if one busts the other may work? I believe Martinez is just too slow to play at the top level in the NFL, I hope he makes me eat my words.

4(39) Dean Lowry DE Northwestern: A reach but a nice reach, I think Lowry could have been available in round 5 but if you are going to pick a returner in round 5 and you like Lowry you can as well just pick him here as Teddy did. Lowry has the ability to become a starter, I'm intrigued about how he fits in our scheme. For one reason or the other we usually destroy good DEs making them fail at both DE and OLB.

5(24) Trevor Davis WR California: Logic pick, this confirms Ted is a robot. Davis is a very good returner, if he shows he can be a WR in camp or we get a WR injured then he is in, otherwise he is stashed to the PS. I'd call him a "waiting" pick.

6(25) Kyle Murphy OT Stanford: Is Murphy from Stanford available? is he ? What the hell? The other teams were picking long snappers, guys from germany and anyone who plays QB... then Teddy picked Murphy who could have gone at round 3 or 4. This was a "forced" pick for a team with a OL that needs to be patched. Patched we are!

Overall I think that without flashy names this was one of the best drafts of Ted Thompson in GB, I think we might get 3 to 5 starters from this draft.

Luis
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
7 years ago
I agree with almost everything luigis said, so I won't bother going pick by pick.

I do still wonder about Billings and why he dropped....the fact that no one picked him until the 4th says something, but I don't know what, other than there has to be something. Because an awful lot of the things I hear about Clark (young with huge upside, run stopper NT more than pass rusher DT, etc.) pretty much we heard about Billings before. But obviously there was something there that Ted and 31 other GMs saw in Clark that they didn't see in Billings.

Wonder what it was.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
RaiderPride
7 years ago

1) I'm concerned with the back up QB situation but with teams overreaching for QB's in the draft I can understand why one wasn't drafted.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

A friend in Oakland told me the Raiders 4th over all pick (Conner Cook) was trade bait pick, and Reggie and Ted are talking. The Raiders sure as hell did not need to draft a QB in the 4th.

Time will tell.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
7 years ago

A friend in Oakland told me the Raiders 4th over all pick (Conner Cook) was trade bait pick, and Reggie and Ted are talking. The Raiders sure as hell did not need to draft a QB in the 4th.

Time will tell.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

I would lean that way more if the Packers didn't have Hundley... but he is coming off a bright rookie season with a year in QB school that should only grow. Packers let backups walk this offseason so I am assuming that they feel the same, in Brett we trust 2.0.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Nice sumation luigis.
Better than what I can do.
UserPostedImage
sschind
7 years ago

Time will tell.

I don't recall what The Raiders gave up in the trade up to get him but I find it hard to believe Ted would give them back what they gave up (the 4th round pick and whatever they gave up to move up) Had he been there with our 4th round pick it would not have surprised me at all if Ted would have taken him but if he was that in love with him he could have moved up himself although it would have been harder because we didn't have the 4th to swap. I don't think the Packers have any more need for a backup QB than the Raiders do at this point since they have Hundley and its just as likely Rodgers will be around for 4 more years so Hundley and Cook would most likely be gone anyway.

He may very well be trade bait but it would surprise the heck out of me if it was with the Packers. Rumor has it the Bears were seriously interested at their 4th round spot. Again, with the trade up would any team give up the equivalent of a 4th rounder and a later pick to get a guy they could have made their own move for and I'm guessing the Raiders would want even more than breaking even.

Of course if we are talking a player for player swap at this point the draft picks kind of become a moot point. Maybe Reggie really likes one of our WRs and since we are so stacked and can't figure out which one to cut anyway Ted would be willing to move Adams or Abby or Janis for Cook.

Bigbyfan
7 years ago

Time will tell.

I think the Raiders pick was more about them wanting depth behind Carr. The Raiders are starting to put together a decent team. The last thing they'd want is for it to become unhinged if Carr gets hurt and they have no one to step in.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.