Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
go.pack.go.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:37:11 AM(UTC)
I just got the update on my phone, and I don’t know how to post the article from the app to here.

Anyway, Josh Jones is skipping OTA’s in hopes of getting traded. I can’t really say that I blame him, he wasn’t given much of an opportunity last season and clearly they don’t think much of him now.

I personally feel like he could’ve been and will be a good safety in this league. Hate to lose him, he’d be good depth if nothing else.
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:02:03 AM(UTC)
He's got the athleticism, but hasn't shown he can cover. We could really use him as an actual S, but it looks like he's limited to that hybrid ILB role.

Seeking a trade is a bitch move, imo. Work on your skills, improve. Your next team is gonna want you to maximize your potential too.
Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:07:18 AM(UTC)
What the hell? lol
Darin Gantt said:
Usually when guys sit out of OTAs, they want something. For Packers safety Josh Jones, it's a new address. According to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com, Jones is skipping OTAs in hopes of a trade to a new team. The 2017 second-rounder (61st overall) has asked to be traded and thinks a change of scenery would [more]

Continue Reading @ Darin Gantt
Nonstopdrivel  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:56:38 AM(UTC)
What incentive does he think the Packers have to trade him? He's a third-year player who was drafted in the second round. The absolute most Green Bay could expect to get for him would be a fourth-round pick, and it would probably be more like a fifth- or sixth-round pick. Jones just doesn't have much in the way of leverage here. He's more likely to end up on the street than traded.

Then again, Gutekunst has demonstrated quite the penchant for wheeling and dealing, so maybe that's what Jones and his agent are counting on.
wpr  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:11:21 AM(UTC)
link to Demovsky article

I understand why he is frustrated but fail to see what his holdout will accomplish other than to make him unemployed at least for a while. Sitting out and doing nothing the the wrong thing to do.

If he doesn't like being 3rd or 4th (perhaps 5th) on the depth chart, there is only one way to change that. He has to make an action. The total opposite of what he is saying he will do. He needs to prove his worth to the organization and show everyone just how valuable he is.

If he wants a trade there is only one way to insure that, play his ass off and other teams will notice. The more value his shows he has the higher pick other teams will be willing to give to GB for him. The more they are offered the more willing GB will be to let him go.

All that aside GB will be inclined to keep him for the sake of having depth when injuries occur.
wpr  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 1:40:44 PM(UTC)
Peter Bukowski has some interesting comments
Quote:

Clearly, part of the responsibility to carve out a home for the player falls on the player. Jones never forced his way into more snaps by playing well. His best game has been his first game, where he was all over the field against the Bengals as a rookie back in 2016. But he lacked the instincts to make plays as a box defender, the read-and-react ability to play in the deep half, and while he’s a useful man coverage player, Pettine prizes versatility among all else.

Brice or Whitehead were never truly better options than Jones. There could be more to the story here than just on-field struggles, because it’s not like these other players were any better. Brice, for example, gave up three touchdowns in just 29 targets with a passer rating over 150 when quarterbacks tested him. That’s awful. Jones’ 98.7 passer rating when targeted is nothing to write home about, but it was significantly better than Whitehead’s and Brice’s.

Much like in 2018, when the safety market proved to be extremely soft, Jones would be competing for spots with a host of former preferred starters around the league. Eric Berry, Tre Boston, Mike Mitchell, Glover Quin, Darian Stewart, Mike Adams, Ron Parker, Kurt Coleman and others remain on the market. Why would a team give up draft capital for a safety his own team didn’t want to play in favor of simply signing one of these other, more established players?

There’s a simple case that Packers should deal Jones for whatever they can get, like some conditional late Day 3 pick, and sign one of these veterans outright with the understanding that Amos and Savage represent the priority starters at the position.

Jones struggled in two-deep safety looks and never quite got the hang of inside linebacker play. As a blitzer shooting gaps and in man coverage, he could be useful, but the Packers clearly wanted more. They signed safeties they like and may have already drafted a replacement for the position Jones was meant to play.

A trade may truly be best for both sides, even if it’s unlikely the Packers will get useful compensation for him. That said, Green Bay showed it had little intention of actually finding a way to use Jones on the field so forcing him to say feels unduly punitive to the player. Neither side seems to want to be involved with the other. Moving on signals the end of a forgettable era in Packers safety play while allowing Jones to find a new home elsewhere.
KRK  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:36:03 PM(UTC)
Wonderlic of 17....maybe he wasn't grasping what he was supposed to have been doing.

Huge talent, but the writing was on the wall with the Amos and Savage acquisitions
earthquake  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 2:56:25 PM(UTC)
Third string Safety holds out, demands trade.

Well, that's certainly a new one.
buckeyepackfan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:34:17 PM(UTC)
There are only 6 safeties on the roster.
That includes Tyson and the udfa.

Jones just has to show up and put in a littke effort to make the team.

He doesnt want to do that.

He is either getting real bad advice from his agent or he just doesn't want to put the work in.

Either way, just cut him loose, plenty of guys out there who would kill for a chance to play for The Packers.

Another example of how the draft is a complete crapshoot.

All the talent in the world gets you nowhere if you're mot ready to put in the time to suceed.
Cheesey  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:42:44 PM(UTC)
Well...the Packers dumped off what’s his name last season, and I think that set a bad precedent. It shows players here that they can whine and will get their way.
I lost all respect for Jones.
If he’s mad, he should play his butt off and show that he DESERVES a starting position and can help the team.
gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 5:47:21 PM(UTC)
I guess we won't see that 3rd year jump we were hoping for. I liked him and had hope he'd find success. I don't hold this against him. He is just trying to get to a spot where he sees more of an opportunity, which is best for his long term career. He obviously doesn't see that opportunity here, whether he plays well or not, and is trying to do what he can to ensure he gets a 2nd contract. If he doesn't get an opportunity here soon, he'll never get a 2nd contract anywhere.
nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:38:22 PM(UTC)
Cheesey said: Go to Quoted Post
Well...the Packers dumped off what’s his name last season, and I think that set a bad precedent. It shows players here that they can whine and will get their way.
I lost all respect for Jones.
If he’s mad, he should play his butt off and show that he DESERVES a starting position and can help the team.

Gutey wants good locker room guys.
Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:24:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

That’s true. But to give in to whiney players shows them how to get their way.
beast  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:57:48 AM(UTC)
I've been saying it since his rookie year, he's a coverage LB, if you use him as such I think he could be very good, but at Safety he keeps getting over past.

He doesn't seem to want to have to think, just pure attack... much better fit at LB.

Tell him he is competing for a starting ILB role next to Martinez, and earn that spot!
beast  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:59:43 AM(UTC)

Gute wanted to make room for young talented players like Jones to step up... he got rid of Haha and Whitehead to give Jones a chance to step up (and at dime LB he improved) and he's pissed that there is a new Safety in town and he didn't earn his playing time last year?
nerdmann  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 10:13:31 AM(UTC)
Package him with Daniels. Maybe there's a solid backup NT somewhere.
buckeyepackfan  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 11:08:46 AM(UTC)
Package him with Daniels. Maybe there's a solid backup NT somewhere.

So you're offseason goal is to get rid of Daniels this year.

Terrible idea, but keep coming up with trade scenarios that will never happen!
Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 2:10:07 PM(UTC)
Aaron Rodgers said he thought he saw Josh Jones outside the fence at practice. And then said, at least it looked a lot like him with a smile.
gbguy20  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 3:50:18 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Aaron Rodgers said he thought he saw Josh Jones outside the fence at practice. And then said, at least it looked a lot like him with a smile.

Damn it Kevin.
Rss Feed