dfosterf
17 days ago

That's extremely easy, clearly the Packers scout clearly liked him a hell lot better than you do.

I highly doubt it mainly or a majority of only Rich B., it was probably Defense too.

Also McDuffie, Eric Wilson and Kristen Welch are all going into FAs years, so this is hopefully stopping LB from being a need next year, with grabbing two this year.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Ken Lass over at CHTV called this pick a "Gutey flyer" I think that is where I am at as well.
Zero2Cool
17 days ago
I really like this pick!
UserPostedImage
beast
17 days ago

Ken Lass over at CHTV called this pick a "Gutey flyer" I think that is where I am at as well.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I agree with blaming Gute a lot more than blaming the ST coach for such a high pick, well any pick really, but especially a high pick.

And I think it was Hooper, someone had a very high missed tackling percentage, but looks like he's smart in coverage, and has made plays being aggressive and they want to be aggressive.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
17 days ago

I agree with blaming Gute a lot more than blaming the ST coach for such a high pick, well any pick really, but especially a high pick.

And I think it was Hooper, someone had a very high missed tackling percentage, but looks like he's smart in coverage, and has made plays being aggressive and they want to be aggressive.

Originally Posted by: beast 

The deficiencies you see. Can they be coached to improvement? Some things you cannot coach some things you can. Ya know?
UserPostedImage
beast
17 days ago

The deficiencies you see. Can they be coached to improvement? Some things you cannot coach some things you can. Ya know?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Ya I know, and I haven't seen them, just read this

He ranked 119th with a missed-tackle rate of 23.3 percent (17 misses).

Just to be clear, I generally go with the stats as it's the best we got, but I don't always agree with them when I see the exact play.

Such as times there are drops are called on a WR, and I disagree, that WR did an absolutely amazing job just to adjust to the ball, contort his body, and get a hand on the ball, that was a 3% catch ball and he almost did it, don't fault him for that.

And also other times the WR did nothing but drop it, why aren't they counting that as a drop?

So I don't know about these 17 missed tackles, if I saw them would I agree that they're on him or not.

I do know in his highlights he did an amazing job at avoiding some blockers just to put pressure on a ball carrier. And of course in the highlights he makes the tackle. But if he did an amazing job against blockers and to have a low percentage shot at the ball carrier, I'm not sure I'd count them.

Just saying that the stat, without context, makes me a bit nervous.
UserPostedImage
16 days ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yes, and most of these kids have been coached since the 8th grade, if not earlier.

I have no idea what his youth, high school, or college coaches were like, but at some point you have to say, "the guy just can't tackle, which is rather important deficiency for a defensive or special teams player.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
16 days ago

Yes, and most of these kids have been coached since the 8th grade, if not earlier.

I have no idea what his youth, high school, or college coaches were like, but at some point you have to say, "the guy just can't tackle, which is rather important deficiency for a defensive or special teams player.

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

I believe tackling is kind of like the run game. It's all about attitude. You either have that fight, or you don't.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 days ago
He will be a rookie backup. Only a few snaps a game.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 days ago
Senior Bowl’s Jim Nagy on Packers LB Ty’Ron Hopper: ‘He’ll Run And Hit’ 

Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst and Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy shared the same view of Missouri linebacker Ty’Ron Hopper, the second of the team’s third-round picks in the 2024 NFL Draft.

“He’ll run and hit,” Nagy told Packer Central this week. “The guy can run and he’ll put his face on you. That’s the bottom line. That’s what I like about him. I’ve been watching him since he was at Florida and he’s gotten better each year.

“So, they added speed at linebacker, physicality. If he starts off on special teams, he’s going to be really good there.”

Gutekunst double-dipped at linebacker after making Texas A&M’s Edgerrin Cooper the first linebacker off the board with a second-round pick.

Even with the release of De’Vondre Campbell, the Packers brought back a veteran core. Former draft picks Quay Walker (first round, 2022) and Isaiah McDuffie (sixth round, 2021) are back as projected starters in the 4-3 base defense, and Gutekunst re-signed Eric Wilson and Kristian Welch in free agency.

However, McDuffie, Wilson and Welch will be free agents next offseason, so picking Hopper was about 2025 as much as 2024.

“Not only will they help on defense, but I think special teams, as well,” Gutekunst said of Cooper and Hopper. “As we move into this new defense where maybe we have a few more linebacker body types, these are exactly the kind of guys that we’re looking for – the guys that can run and hit.”

The shared language between Gutekunst and Nagy is “special teams” and “run and hit.”

With three seasons at Florida and two at Missouri, Hopper played 468 snaps on special teams, according to Pro Football Focus. That included 132 snaps on kickoff coverage and 83 on punt coverage. Size and physicality are the essence of the kicking units.

At the Scouting Combine, Hopper measured 6-foot-1 3/4 and 231 pounds. He did run at the Combine but he did at pro day. The time listed at The Athletic is 4.68 seconds. Gutekunst said the team’s time was the “high” 4.5s.

“He ran fast, so that was pretty good for us, and he’s an explosive athlete,” Gutekunst said, no doubt alluding to excellent numbers in the vertical jump (36 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 4 inches). “He runs fast on tape, he ran fast for us on the watch, so it all came together.”

Hopper started four games for the Gators in 2021 before starting 22 of his 23 appearances at Missouri. He had 5.5 sacks, 20.5 tackles for losses and eight passes defensed in those two seasons.

“He’s really physical,” Gutekunst said. “He can run, but his stopping power when he takes on blockers is pretty impressive. Very serious-minded guy, I think he really helped change that defense.

“The Missouri defense this year was excellent. They had a number of good players, but I think they’re very well-coached there. (It’s) another one of those programs where we felt really good about taking somebody out of that program because of how they do things there. But his stopping power as a tackler was really impressive.”

That coaching was done by Mizzou linebackers coach D.J. Smith, who was a sixth-round pick by the Packers in 2011.

“He hasn’t played the position long,” Smith told Packer Central. “He was a safety in high school. He started the last four games in 2021 at Florida, then played the two full years with us as a starter. His best football’s ahead of him. He just needs more reps. Just playing the position, with what he’s done so far, I think he’s on the right track.”

That’s what the Packers are betting on in grabbing Hopper, who missed the final three games of the season with a shoulder injury that prevented him from competing at the Senior Bowl. At worst, Hopper could be in a position to start in 2025.

“A fast linebacker that runs and hits,” Nagy said, “that’s what most teams are looking for.”

I fail to see why people would be upset if Hopper's main contribution for a year or two is on ST. Let's face it, the ones that are often taken in the 6th, 7th or UDFA aren't cutting it. They have been horrible on ST for a very very long time. They need to have a better quality player on that unit. If it takes selecting someone in the 3rd round so be it. They have needed ST players as much as they need DB or DL help.

Keep in mind very very few rookies are a significant factor no matter where they are drafted. I don't have the hard numbers but my guess is, guys they do contribute as a rookie are typically selected in the first round not the third round.

UserPostedImage
beast
11 days ago
Yeah if we're actually playing a 4-3 then he very well could be getting playing time in 2025 if not sooner.

Base don the comments made, I'm assuming the defensive front is going to be all about penetration, and not about run clogging at all. Which means the LBers need speed and tackling and supposedly he's got that, and he might be smaller, but he looks like he has more power than the others.

And his former coach (whom played LB for the Packers) thought he might be the best blitzer off of the wide edge of all positions in the entire draft.

I think we deserve to give him a chance to saw what he's got before we trash him as a career backup.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (23h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.